Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first gun - 995TS. I wonder if the "Firefly V1 Laser Flashlight Combo" on the Hi-Point is any good? It looks to me that the only place to fit this combo is under the barrel very close to the muzzle. Will the gun shock move the laser out of alignment easily?

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Your first gun or your first HiPoint?
In any case I’d suggest you shoot it first before spending too much on accessories.
Welcome to the forum.
JHP owner from Florida here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It is my first gun. In fact I just shot a rifle once, and that was a long time ago. Any suggestions for a first time (kind of) shooter?

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Thanks. It is my first gun. In fact I just shot a rifle once, and that was a long time ago. Any suggestions for a first time (kind of) shooter?
You should get some A-Zoom snap caps to practice loading and unloading the weapon without putting your finger on the trigger. From there, do a lot of dry fire **make sure no live ammo is in the room when you dry fire**. Practice focussing on the front sight so that it is clear, and the target is blurry. When you dry fire the weapon, you should be able to consistently have the trigger break without any movement of the front sight. If the front sight moves, make a note of whether it moves up, down, left, or right. If you have consistent movement of the sight in one direction or the other, then you have a regular error you are committing and need to fix. Practice dry firing until the front sight does not move when the trigger breaks.

And use the snap caps to rehearse loading and clearing the weapon some more, too. Safety is your number one priority.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
After you've put a few thousand rounds through it, go buy an expensive carbine and see what you think the differences are then post up here. Sorry, couldn't resist. Glad to hear there is a new Hi Point or just a new gun owner. Enjoy and be safe. The country needs a lot more new gun owners that go about it right.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Personally I think a flashlight is much more useful then the laser.
I have a very small light on one of my guns and at night it will light up a room enough to identify and because how it’s focused it has a dinner plate size lighter center section.
The bullet will go anywhere there.
In my opinion that laser dot is too small and useless unless you start getting into optics.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Personally I think a flashlight is much more useful then the laser.
I have a very small light on one of my guns and at night it will light up a room enough to identify and because how it's focused it has a dinner plate size lighter center section.
The bullet will go anywhere there.
In my opinion that laser dot is too small and useless unless you start getting into optics.
I have to agree. Do you have any particular light you would recommend for a 995? I'd rather buy from someone's experience than read reviews from strangers.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
I have to agree. Do you have any particular light you would recommend for a 995? I'd rather buy from someone's experience than read reviews from strangers.
Yes I do, the cheapest one or buy used from any of the auction sites.
I really do not want to put a $50-$60 light on a gun.
They're all from China anyway, just different names on the outside.
Use the cheapest scope rings you can find to mount.

·
Premium Member
4,852 Posts
The light you posted is as good as any in a home defense situation. And I agree with Swags - a light is good on a carbine, shotgun or pistol for HD. Lasers look cool, but they're just another gaget. What's the longest distance in your home? Less than 50 feet is my guess - probably WAY less. You won't use the sights or the the laser in a high stress, but you will center the light. If your shots stay in that circle, you'll stop the threat - at least in theory. BTW, you don't say where you're located, but I HIGHLY recommend you get some instruction from a seasoned shooter. Lots of those here and from all over. I'm in Central PA - if you're anywhere close, PM me. Be happy to help you get started safe

Reactions: tomtull

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The light you posted is as good as any in a home defense situation. And I agree with Swags - a light is good on a carbine, shotgun or pistol for HD. Lasers look cool, but they're just another gaget. What's the longest distance in your home? Less than 50 feet is my guess - probably WAY less. You won't use the sights or the the laser in a high stress, but you will center the light. If your shots stay in that circle, you'll stop the threat - at least in theory. BTW, you don't say where you're located, but I HIGHLY recommend you get some instruction from a seasoned shooter. Lots of those here and from all over. I'm in Central PA - if you're anywhere close, PM me. Be happy to help you get started safe
It's great to know from someone who has used the light. Where do you mount it, right below the barrel close to the muzzle? BTW, we are far away. I live in CA. Thank you for your offer of help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have one that is identical.
Look on the auction sites for better deals.
Consider where you could mount that
Yeah, that is my question. It looks to me that the only place is below the barrel close to the muzzle. Where do you mount it?

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
The light looks good, but pretty long (13 cm) though. Where do you mount it on a 995TS?
I would mount it on the rail of the stock down below. I don't have one on a 995TS. AR15's, and a Extar9. If you have a foregrip? Mount it where your thumb can hit the switch will using the forward grip. However it comes with a tape switch. I seldom use the tape switch. These lights do reach out to 350yds. I have never used the rail under the barrel.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Yeah, that is my question. It looks to me that the only place is below the barrel close to the muzzle. Where do you mount it?
On the gasblock of my AR10, I don't have a HP Carbine.
Under the barrel is probably your best option.
You can activate it with your support hand.

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
4,852 Posts
On the gasblock of my AR10, I don't have a HP Carbine.
Under the barrel is probably your best option.
You can activate it with your support hand.
I don't have a carbine either.The light on my JHP is on the rail under the barrel, so is the the one on the SD 9. One is about flush, the other sticks a little forward of the muzzle. Agree with Trashy on placement and switch. KISS - Keep It Stupid Simple (I know, I changed it) - you won't remember complex when it hits the fan. Oh, and everyone here will agree - once you're set up TRAIN. Not just punching targets, though that's important. Unload your gun, then practice getting the light on in the dark. Work with snap caps loaded at changing mags. Learn to clear a malfunction in the dark without looking at the gun.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts