Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a used .40SW on lay-away at my favorite LGS. It is in awesome shape and looks like new. I did notice that the last round hold open didn't work. When I brought it to the attention to the guy behind the counter he too agreed that it was not working properly.

We changed out the mag with one out of a new 40SW and the hold open worked fine.

I came here and did a search and found that the cause might be in the magazine follower. But I only found mention of the problem with C9 mags. The C9 mags have the metal follower and the .40SW that I bought has the orange plastic follower.

I do not have the mag in front of me but when I do, what should I be looking for? Is it possible that the plastic follower is broken or a chunk is broken off?

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dude, my only advice is to send it back to hi-point.
The mag? It was just the mag causing the issue. Every other mag works fine. Maybe I will just send in the mag and see what they say. I have others so I won't be out anything.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure that works.
I must say though that it would still be nice to know what the root cause is to the problem. Then I would have an idea what to look for in the future. While I understand that the Hi Point warranty is the shat, I still would like to make any simple repairs/adjustments myself if I can. I understand that this failure is not a repetitive one for me myself, but it does seem to be a frequent issue for HP owners in general and might qualify in that respect for a Root Cause Analysis.

But I can't know what I don't know if I am not told by one who knows... ya know. lol!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I just put a used .40SW on lay-away at my favorite LGS. It is in awesome shape and looks like new. I did notice that the last round hold open didn't work. When I brought it to the attention to the guy behind the counter he too agreed that it was not working properly.

We changed out the mag with one out of a new 40SW and the hold open worked fine.

I came here and did a search and found that the cause might be in the magazine follower. But I only found mention of the problem with C9 mags. The C9 mags have the metal follower and the .40SW that I bought has the orange plastic follower.

I do not have the mag in front of me but when I do, what should I be looking for? Is it possible that the plastic follower is broken or a chunk is broken off?
There are several things that could be wrong with the Magazine or Follower to cause the LRHO lever to not stay up. (See Picture for LRHO contact Point.)

1) If the right edge of the magazine follower is chipped / broken or worn the LRHO won't work.

2) If the magazine spring is broken the follower may not go/stay completely up when empty.

3) If the follower is binding on the Magazine, Front or Back lips, or any situation that causes the magazine follower not to go all the way up. Then the LRHO will not work.

FYI- The LRHO lever can be seen with the Magazine out and locking the slide back with the safety lever.
Look through the Ejection port and It's just below the bottom of the feed ramp.
A good empty magazine will force the LRHO lever up when cycled.

Hope this helped.

Walt

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

There are several things that could be wrong with the Magazine or Follower to cause the LRHO lever to not stay up. (See Picture for LRHO contact Point.)

1) If the right edge of the magazine follower is chipped / broken or worn the LRHO won't work.

2) If the magazine spring is broken the follower may not go/stay completely up when empty.

3) If the follower is binding on the Magazine, Front or Back lips, or any situation that causes the magazine follower not to go all the way up. Then the LRHO will not work.

FYI- The LRHO lever can be seen with the Magazine out and locking the slide back with the safety lever.
Look through the Ejection port and It's just below the bottom of the feed ramp.
A good empty magazine will force the LRHO lever up when cycled.

Hope this helped.

Walt
Yes this helped. Thanks for the explanation.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
You said you bought it used!! Send it back to HP anyways as they will go over it and make sure the previous owner didn't mess with it inside. SAFETY!! SAFETY !!SAFETY!!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You said you bought it used!! Send it back to HP anyways as they will go over it and make sure the previous owner didn't mess with it inside. SAFETY!! SAFETY !!SAFETY!!
This is true. But if it is just a defective mag I will see about getting a new one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts