Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working for Uncle Sam when the last run on guns and ammo occurred. I would be interested in gathering some perspective. Is this one at all like that one? I have watched a Raven go for $170 on GB and right now I am watching another Raven (just to see how high it will go) with a current bid of $200!

Did 25 ACP and 32 ACP disappear? I am still finding both and they are somewhere between 32-36 cents a round. I am having a hard time finding 380 and when I do find it, it is north of 60 cents a round. 9 mm is creeping ever closer to a $1 a round for FMJ (even Wolf/Bear and Tula are expensive). 22 LR seems to be hit or miss right now. 38 Special is also becoming harder to find and is creeping to the north of 60 cents a round.

For those that reload, did you ever run out of the necessary ingredients?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Is this one at all like that one?....
Similar yes. Certain items were unobtanium, and prices were ridiculous. At last run (Obama: we're going to do something about those guns) I sold a polymer bushmaster for $700. Some guys were selling at $1,000 at the peak. I scrounged some used 30 round magazines at off-the-beaten path LGS's. At that time, other firearms (and ammo) were readily available.

This run is similar, but more widespread, affecting everything. In that sense it's worse. The rainbow being there are some guys with deep stashes who will sell you a box or two. If you've been caught dry once, you won't let it happen again. This said, because of the widespread nature way more than just the .223 or .22 lr guys got wiped out. Now the 9mm, .45 guys are feeling the burn.

This outage will take some time to recover from because people will be buying whatever they can find for a long time (until they get their formerly neglected stash filled), and that number of buyers is especially large, as evidenced by the number of first-time gun buyers. These first-timers don't have caches.

To the point of reloading, it's theoretically possible, BUT the people who have taken the dive into reloading have more than likely already experienced one ammo shortage in their life. My guess is these salty dogs take a "cache" approach to components.

Anecdotally, when I buy primers, I buy a~ $40 box of 1,000. The last 9mm box of bullets had 500. My last powder purchase was an 8lb jug. I won't run out of necessary ingredients, but possibly my "first choice" for something. I will not run out of "something" to shoot for a few years.

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
It was right around the first shortage (08-09) that I got serious about casting my own bullets. I have powder, lead and primers to keep most of my guns firing for some time. I have a fair stash of .22lr and .22 mag. I have multiple calibers in both long and short guns, so I buy what's available. Can't prove this, but we did discuss the rise in Raven prices in another thread. Small, easy to carry, cheap (til now) and both .25 and.32 were available through the last Big Scare. 9 and .223 were almost unobtainable, but the micros were still on the shelf. Shoulda bought one myself. won't pay those prices for a Ring of Fire, though.

·
Super Moderator
28,354 Posts
I was working for Uncle Sam when the last run on guns and ammo occurred. I would be interested in gathering some perspective. Is this one at all like that one? I have watched a Raven go for $170 on GB and right now I am watching another Raven (just to see how high it will go) with a current bid of $200!
I sold some Safe Queen guns at more than they should have gone for. People don't know how to negotiate any more. It's supposed to be that I put a stupid high price on it, he counters at a stupid low price, and we eventually work our way to the middle. But now I typically get one of two responses, "you're an evil price gouger and are going to hell" or "yes, I'll pay that stupidly high price." :eek:

Did 25 ACP and 32 ACP disappear? I am still finding both and they are somewhere between 32-36 cents a round. I am having a hard time finding 380 and when I do find it, it is north of 60 cents a round. 9 mm is creeping ever closer to a $1 a round for FMJ (even Wolf/Bear and Tula are expensive). 22 LR seems to be hit or miss right now. 38 Special is also becoming harder to find and is creeping to the north of 60 cents a round.
I went to the LGS on Friday when it opened. There was a little of everything available, even 9mm. But it was priced a little higher than it used to be and there wasn't near as much selection.

I stocked up on components before hand. The reason I went to the LGS was to look for small pistol primers. I was down to under 500 primers. I'd built about 400 rounds of 9mm for my own stash (mixed HC and FMJ) and around 300 rounds FMJ for my father. The LGS had a ton of Large Pistol, a little Large Rifle, a few "CCI Precision" grade Small Rifle (higher price), but NO Small Pistol.

Funnily enough, waiting in line to get in, I chatted with an old widower by name of McGovern (actually related to George McGovern). When he found out I was looking for Small Pistol Primers he told me that he hadn't reloaded in years but had a substantial stash of primers. Several cases, in fact. He offered to sell some to me so, after we were both done, I followed him to his house and bought to bricks of Winchester primers (one for me and one for a buddy trying to get into reloading). I gave him current retail prices for them. I think he sold them to me as much as anything just because he was lonely and wanted to chat with someone for 15 min. (which I did).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
This is another prime example why you should not try to prep in a time of panic. If this does not inspire you to listen to Rogers Rangers Rules and have your shot, powder, hatchet scoured and be ready to go at a moments notice; I don't know what will.

Im not worried about the shortages because I have stocked up for years and have 10s of thousands of primers, 50 pounds of powder (of different types) and enough raw lead to make plenty for whatever caliber that I need at the time.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
My SIL called me Saturday from a Walmart in Yorktown VA, about 45 minutes away from their house. Bought 2 rifles(I think both Savage, 1 may have been a Winchester) for under $100 each!!! I know 1 was a 30-06, not sure what the other was. Walmart is finally getting around to liquidating their firearms and he just got in on the deal. Guy in front of him bought 5 rifles :yikes:

If I get more details I'll post them.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
My SIL called me Saturday from a Walmart in Yorktown VA, about 45 minutes away from their house. Bought 2 rifles(I think both Savage, 1 may have been a Winchester) for under $100 each!!! I know 1 was a 30-06, not sure what the other was. Walmart is finally getting around to liquidating their firearms and he just got in on the deal. Guy in front of him bought 5 rifles :yikes:

If I get more details I'll post them.
So SIL got a Savage Axis 308 and an over/under 20 (not 12) gauge for $89 each and a Remington 770 for $124. Gonna go shoot them tomorrow, along with my CZ 527 and Ruger 10/22 International/Mannlicher. Hope the rain holds off.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Woah! Great prices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts