LC380 vs LCP

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Hermitt, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Last night, my lovely wife of 38 years said something that I would have never believed if I didn't hear it for my self!!!! "I want a pistol" :eek::eek:

My C9 is WAY too big and heavy for her, so I started looking at the littel 380s, like the Taurus and the pocket Rugers.

I have discovered that the LC380 is larger and heavier than the LCP, but I am concerned about the 'felt recoil' of the lighter LCP.

Any of you 'uns have first hand experience with these? It looks like they are running in the $300+ range, so it won't happen till next summer sometime (if even then), but I am researching our options.

Thnx :D

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If you want a gun that's easy on the hand, you might want to either go up in size, like the Bersa, or go down in caliber, like the KelTec P-32.

I have a P3AT, it's not bad IMHO, but lots of guys say it's no fun to shoot.

3. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Kel Tec or SCCY will do. M&P BG also is nice. But warranty from first two are as good as HP.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I was considering recoil as much as weight.

5. Hermitt

This is my thought also. That KT-P32 looks interesting. :cool:

6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Does the term "spray and pray" mean anything to you? She'll be doing a slow motion version of that. I'm with ajole. I can vouch that the Bersa is a bit snappy but quite managable, small enough for easy carry, cool looking and quite accurate since it might have borrowed the idea of pinning the barrel to the frame from someone we know.

7. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I fired a Ruger LCP about a year ago. A bit snappy and not very comfy afterward.

8. Hermitt

Yes, I'm liking this one! (except for the price....) ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

I have an LCP and it is very snappy. I have read that by installing a 12# recoil spring, the recoil is almost non existant, but have not done it. It is great for concealment, not so great to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

10. colthrash

colthrash Member

my sister has a BG380, and after shooting my bersa she bought it from me. at the range she will put a couple of magazines through the bodyguard then switch to the bersa.

11. If recoil is a issue might consider a SR22 using Stinger ammo. Practice with the brick ammo, use the stingers for carry.

No gun that is too uncomfortable to shoot or carry is of any use if left at home. 32ACP would be a good option but ammo is expensive for such a small round.

If she wants a 380 consider the Walther PK380, comfortable to shoot like the Glock 42 but without the sticker shock.

12. moona11

Forgot about the Walther. Good gun.

13. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    If she is only going to use it as a range pistol. Get a 22, zilch recoil, but ammo is not real abundant, at least not around where I live. If she thinks she may go for a ccw later on, then go with at least a .380. There are several good .380's, but I doubt you are going to find the "perfect" pistol.

14. colthrash

colthrash Member

there are also pistol caliber revolvers out there...

15. Yes, but revolvers tend to be a tad more expensive, and in general do not conceal as well as a semi auto.

16. Hermitt

For her, it would mostly be a home defense against outside animals when I'm not home. Where we live, there is really no reason to CC. Heck, Cascade generally hovers around 1000 population wise. You can leave your car running in the parking lot of the local grocery store and no one would even think twice about it..... :p

I could teach her to use my 870 20ga, but that would be like watching those gun fail videos.... :eek:

So I want to get her something that she can handle comfortably, but with enough potential to scare off a 'yote or a wolf if one starts to bother our goats.

So far, I'm liking the Bersa Thunder, but I do need to look at the Walthers too as I love the P99.

Edit: I don't want to go .22, as I can re-load center fire once I start collecting the brass. ;)

17. Hermitt

Yes, I was originally thinking a wheel gun, but they seem to run about twice the amount as a good semi-auto. :(

18. moona11

But they don't jam :D

19. Hermitt

.38 spl revolvers....

I've been using GB as a rough estimate of what going prices are.....

Now looking at .38 spl revolvers...

Taurus or charter arms? It looks like most of the Charters have alum frames. I'm thinking the little bit heavier Taurus would have less recoil? Can't find much under $300 tho.... :mad:

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

20. colthrash

colthrash Member

I would stay away from the ultra lite frames, more mass=less recoil. see if you can test drive before buying (friends, rentals, ect.)