Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a guy here locally who says he will give me some 9mm ammo for a small donation by the box.... But the question I have is he relaods his own ammo and the actuall bullets are "lead cast" which he also makes from molds and he says they will shoot just fine may be a little dirty due to "wax and lead wash" what exactly does that mean? will this stuff work in my 995...It's a very good deal he is putting on me and I just want to know before i buy a couple hundred rounds and find they dont work out for me. He says just clean the gun after 500 rounds or so and I'll never have any problems, my step dad has shot his ammo from a "hardballer" in a different caliber and I trust his reloading ability just never shot a lead cast bullet before.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You'll be fine using his ammo. It may be dirty, but that's not always a bad thing, and I don't think you'd HAVE to clean it after 500 rounds. It's entirely up to you, but a lot of guys on here have shot thousands of rounds with no real cleaning.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
The carbine will build up lead deposits and whatnot in the barrel. A lot of 9mm weapons say not to use bullets that aren't jacketed because of build up and whatnot.

I'm not 100% sure about the 995, but I wouldn't shoot them myself unless someone here posts personal testimony of using unjacketed bullets in their 995 without problems.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
it depends on what powder hes using. red dot or similar is too fast for a 995 and can cuase crappy groups or keyholing. if he loads with a midrange powder like unique or win231 its fine. lead bullets work fine in a 995, i shoot them all the time.

SW

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Yep I shoot LRN in mine with no adverse problems! What SW said about the powder is true and an important issue if you are not reloading yourself... I would be somewhat hesitant to use someone else's hand loads unless you know him to be a meticulous person and are sure he is doing everything right!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Glocks dont take to lead bullets due to standard polygonal rifling in Glock barrels.A very few rounds of lead and pressures can build or the bullets wont fully seat in the chamber.KABOOM! Glock manual says no lead bullets, believe them!

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
Glocks dont take to lead bullets due to standard polygonal rifling in Glock barrels.A very few rounds of lead and pressures can build or the bullets wont fully seat in the chamber.KABOOM! Glock manual says no lead bullets, believe them!
ill disagree with you on that one. ive shot thousands of lead bullets out of my glocks with no ill effects for me or the gun. the majority of glock KBs with lead bullets have been 40 S&W guns. they constitute 90% of reported failures. and alot of those are the "my freind saw this happen" type stories that have to be taken with a grian of salt. yes it requires attention to detail but for training use lead is fine. if you dont feel comfortable, buy a 125$ KKM or WOLF standard rifled barrel to shoot lead out of but dont expect it to feed like a stock glock barrel does.

SW

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Heh. Every 500 rounds!!! :blink:

I clean mine after EVERY outing...be it 100 or 500 or whatever I shoot for that day.

G

·
if your concerned about lead building up but dont want to clean it, just shoot a dozen or so of jacketed ammo before you quit. that seems to work in my C9 anyways, havnt tried lead in my 995

·
Registered
127 Posts
I see people scoff at the use of bare lead bullets all the time, mostly from a cleaning standpoint. it's soft metal, sure it's gonna stick a bit here and there. But what I find funny is that nobody ever seems to bring up the issue of lead fouling vs copper fouling. I'm not even gonna say what I think, just pose the question to you guys in the know:

What do you guys feel is easier to clean out of a barrel? Copper or lead?

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Neither are a problem for me as I use the Outers Foaming Bore Cleaner. If there is copper or lead fouling in the barrel the white foam either turns blue for lead or green for copper. Pretty easy to tell what kind of fouling is in the barrel with it's all colorful like that. Ideally, you want to foam to stay white, or dirty white just from the powder residue.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
lead is WAY easier. it doesnt impact into the bore as much as copper does. that said copper fouling occours much less over a longer period of time but it is much harder to remove.

FWIW most of the people who claim excessive leading problems have used cheap commercial bullets which are usually WAY TOO SOFT to load at median to high velocity. ive bought plenty of aftermarket bullets from over a dozen different makers and none of them were hard enough IMHO to break the 800 FPS mark.

SW

·
Registered
665 Posts
My question would then be: other than loading/reloading lead bullets yourself, where would one find commercially available RNL? The only ones I see are Ultramax reloads which sell for about the same price as FMJ.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The secret to shooting lead cast bullets is keeping the velocity down and using a good bullet lube the lube keeps from leading the barrel hogdens hp 38 is a good powder this is what i use in my .44mag relvolver if you are worried just shoot 1 clip and look at the barrel I also clean my barrel after every shooting session it might take 5 minutes

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I have shot ALOT of LRN out on my 995 and my M&P. I have have very minimal issues with lead build up. The 995 has not been cleaned in I dont know how long??? (Yeah I know how could you treat it this way) But it fires when I want it to and there is no leading. I say go for it at most you will have to do some extra cleaning of the barrel???

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Sw, cant you add cobalt to WW's to make a suitable lead bullet for glocks? i have a buddy that can get powdered cobalt, and ii want to try it out.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
Sw, cant you add cobalt to WW's to make a suitable lead bullet for glocks? i have a buddy that can get powdered cobalt, and ii want to try it out.
yes cobalt works (and turns the bullet blue as a side effect) but just adding pure tin to WW gets the same effect for aobut 1/4th the price. i experimented with cobalt years ago as a lead additive and while it works, it isnt cost effective and you have to be VERY precise with how much you put in or you can make bullets ahrd enough to be brittle.

SW

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
yes cobalt works (and turns the bullet blue as a side effect) but just adding pure tin to WW gets the same effect for aobut 1/4th the price. i experimented with cobalt years ago as a lead additive and while it works, it isnt cost effective and you have to be VERY precise with how much you put in or you can make bullets ahrd enough to be brittle.

SW
another little trick is to add a little arsnic to your mix....makes it a little harder too......not sure where you can get that though....doesnt take very much at all

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.