Lead laser

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by duster066, Jun 27, 2014.

1. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

Just a thought. I'd like a lead laser.

I like light weight and fast. This is what appeals to me about the PMR30 and the new 22TCM even more so. But what would be better? How about a 20 grain .17 in a center fire case rocking at about 17 HMR rifle muzzle velocities, oh about 2600 fps from a pistol. In a super light weight gun with a 30 round double stack mag and almost no recoil and you have a lead laser at SD ranges. Just point and hose.

2. Branth

Branth Member

Never thought the old cowboy gun guy would be on the "light and fast" bandwagon!

I'm a fan of that principle, too. I think I'll own a .357 sig someday for that very reason.

I've always thought that if NFA laws weren't a factor, I'd love a small-caliber, high-velocity, high-capacity full-auto for a pistol. Like a full-auto PMR-30. Low recoil, high energy on target, massive energy dump over a short period of time... What's not to like?

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

We've had those.....waaaaay back in the 80-ies

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UzPcnErbvPM[/ame]

4. duster066

Yup people though I had lost my mind when I traded my 07 mustang gt for a miata. They simply don't fully understand my thinking. Light and fast is always better, all things being considered. And what is my cowboy caliber of choice? It's not a cowboy caliber at all. 357 baby.

I agree with your auto idea completely, but didn't include it because it can't, by law, happen. I like the pmr, but the 22mag is a tad bit to slow from the hand gun. The 22tcm, given the 40 grain bullet, is a fine idea, and they hold 17, not a have bad hoser.

5. I love the idea of 22tcm. But seems so hard to find. I guess you could reload it. Which is a plus.

6. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

17 hornet in a pistol?

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    From a 6.5 inch barrel revolver, .17 HMR does 1800-1900+ fps at 25 yards, giving between 125-160 ft lbs of energy.

So yeah, you'd have to step up from HMR to get there.

8. duster066

Yup that's the idea. I'll look that critter up.

Nope won't work, to long oal don't you think. Need something like the 22tcm case, then like RIA it could be offered with a 9mm barrel.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  9. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

+1 on the High Velocity, High Volume "Lead (Pb) Laser" idea...
    Also, using the 17HMR as a jumping off point, they have the mythical
    "explosive rounds" and that could be incorporated as well. The possibilities
    are pretty much endless!

10. undeRGRound

INDY

When the HMR swept across my radar, I thought I saw rounds that were nearly
    3000 fps but cannot find them now. It had to be pushing the limits of the cases
    if the 17 WSM was really needed... I'm seeing HMR safety warnings about
    certain handguns being unsafe with it too.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Me too, I was certain I had read nearly 4000 fps by one reporter. Now it's about 2500, and the new .17 super mag just goes over 3000.

Found it. http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-mighty-17-rimfires-a-tiny-little-cartridge-with-great-big-fun/

12. undeRGRound

INDY

That could have been my problem, they compare/discuss the HMR in the context of the 17 cal centerfires, it's like the old switcherroo...
    The 17 WSM offers 3000 FPS but that is only like a year and a 1/2 old now!

Don't think I want another caliber to buy for, especially one that I cannot reload. Enough guns already :p Nah, I still have a "wish list"! :cool: