lead poisioning

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Jokey, May 5, 2008.

1. Jokey

Jokey Guest

Melting lead exposes you to fumes that room temperature lead does not.

I have met more than a few reloaders who cast their own bullets that I think have some neurological problems, which may have been contributed by lead poisioning.

If you are going to cast in your home be sure to take precautions particularly if you have children in the home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

2. Sniper 995

Sniper 995 Guest

Also a little known fact is shooting at indoor ranges is way dangerous over time. My friend worked for mossberg and their indoor range more than triple EXCEEDED osha spec for ventilation. Mossberg still had employees tested regularly and my friend was over safe lead limits after only 3 years.

3. Bullet casting requires a bit of common sense, lead hazard awareness and a small investment in safety equipment. If you are working with nothing more than a casting pot, gloves, goggles and mold perhaps you should STOP and read a bit about lead hazards.

Casting should be performed outside, in a well ventilated area (aka constant air flow away from you). If done indoors read below.

It is so easy to build an exhaust hood and enclosed casting area with a sliding glass screen/window that will virtually eliminate lead fumes from gettin to your air intakes (aka nostrils). In the chemical industry we use a slightly more advanced setup but it serves the same purpose when working with hazardous substances in a confined lab environment.

4. pjm204

pjm204 Member

I am planning to get into casting in the near future, I will be doing it outdoors, possibly with a fan, and will definitely be wearing gloves, a respirator, and goggles. Any other precautions I should take, I obviously want to do this the safest way possible.

5. I have noticed that when melting down wheel weights, some of the weights have had a thin coat of tar or tar like substance on them. When added to my melting pot, they have given off some thick smoke like fumes. Due to this fact, I have moved my melting pot to my patio which is an open air patio. It has a wall to keep the wind off my pot so the lead doesn't get too cool and solidify in my pot, but it doesn't have a roof on it so all of the fumes goes straight up.

Safety can't be sacrificed when dealing with lead of any fashion. Always be mindful of wind direction and your relationship to that wind direction. Try to stay upwind of the pot and make sure you don't splash molten lead on your body. Besides burning yourself, your skin can absorb some of the lead, and be just as bad as inhaling the fumes themselves.