Learning from your shot shells

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by lcback, Apr 23, 2014.

1. If you have read my .410 reloading thread. You know I'm getting my ducks in a row for reloading the .410
    If you haven't read now you know.

This question is for shot she'll loading of all guages/bores.

How many reloads can you get from a shell? Are there signs to look for on your shells that tell you it's time to throw that one away?
    Are there signs that your loads are to hot?
    What kind of Crimp do you use. And have you tried it in a pump?

2. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I think a pump is really gonna hurt your feet in the long run..... :p

[​IMG]

3. wow, I saw someone posted in this. Got all excited i was going to learn something, was quickly brought back to reality

4. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

yeah, this time of night knowledge is pretty much all used up and all thats left is this gibberish.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    What I hear is that 8-10 reloads is pretty normal, depending in many variables.

The things to check are the places where the crimp folds, and where the brass ends on the hull.

But that's all just what I've read, no personal experience.

6. I hope your right about the 8-9 re-loads. that will really bring down my price per shell

7. It all depends upon the hull thickness, crimping capability and the brass base. First thing to look for is burn holes or discoloration at the base and hull junction before reloading. Toss those in the trash bin for safety reasons.

8. That's one thing I've never reloaded was shotgun rounds. I load about 20 others though but can't help you on the shot shell. I'm sure someone here has or will be of help.

9. For most gauges, it dosnt make much sense to reload, unless you want a 1000 slugs.

.410 makes sense.

its the most expensive shot to buy, but when you reload the components ( powder,shot) last longer

10. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

When my nephews can go through 500 rounds in a weekend at the trap range reloading 12g makes a lot of sense. It is half the cost all said and done. Some of the AA hulls have at least 12 trap reloads on them but that is a lower power load so less wear and tear. Plus you can be more consistent with hand loads in shotgun compared to factory loads.