Leatherman

Discussion in 'Knife and Blade Forum' started by monsterdawg, Mar 6, 2015.

1. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

I am looking to buy a Leatherman Multi Tool and can't decide which to buy. I don't want to spend more than 90 bucks and the more I look and read about them, the more frustrated I get.
    Any if you with experience with them have any favorites? Reasons to buy/not to buy certain models? 300, Wave, Rebar, New Wave, etc. Too much to chose from.

2. papataylor

papataylor Member

I've got a lightning that served a lot of miles on the Appalachian trail when I was a trail guide in high school. It's pricey though.

A great alternative is the CRKT zillatool, it's my edc now

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1425693599.536923.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1425693616.917599.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1425693625.299334.jpg

3. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I wanted just a 'basic' multi-tool, and not one with a bunch of stuff that I'd never use, so I ended up buying a Gerber Crucial. It has a great and very sharp blade, needle nose pliers and just a simple flathead and phillips screwdriver.

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Crucial-Tool-30-000016.php

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deg4m8EC7ko[/ame]

4. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I have the super tool 300 and it has been great. It will be a major component of the get home bag, I just need to get a smaller one for the office. It has every tool you need and then some. It is heavier than the others but it is built like a tank and the blade holds an edge you won't believe.

5. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I like Gerber better to

6. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

I've looked at Learherman, Gerber and SOG, mainly. According to the reviews I've read, Leatherman seems to be the favorite. I guess longevity is what I want to know about. And replacable components would be nice. These things are expensive!

7. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

8. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

I want more than that too. When the EMP hits and I have to walk 200 miles to get home, I want to open bottles and cans, cut stuff, saw branches, wire stuff, so I need strippers, file stuff, screwdriver stuff, kill both large and small game, cut up bodies if I have to, trim my nails, pull nose hair and I want it all in a package that fits in my front pocket comfortably!

9. My wife got me the leatherman WAVE last year for my birthday. I love it!!

10. colthrash

colthrash Member

I have two leathermans, both of them are older than my children (25+ years)

11. planosteve

It is smaller and weighs less than my JHP.

12. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

So is my F150!!!

13. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

I just ordered a Leatherman ST300. If I don't like it, I'll sell it to one of you for $5 more than I paid for it, free shipping!!!

14. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I'll say!

[​IMG]

Me too. They's cute, and deadly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I has multi toolz.....but not the 300.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Big surprise, Ajole's multi-tool collection mirrors his .22 collection. Let me guess, every grandkid gets a rifle and a multi-tool?

17. planosteve

Al you have a problem. I go over next week to pick up the 550 and model 12. I will then be up to 5 22 lr and 1 22 mag and 1 multi-tool. At least I can get ammo for the 22's. Can't find any 22 mag though, thank god it is a bolt gun and a 50 rd range session is plenty.:p Let me know if you are really hurting for 22 ammo.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Actually...

One 12 year old nephew couldn't have a gun, my sister and the new husband are left wingers in the Seattle area, and his dad and step mom he lives with in Oregon aren't any better.

So, last summer...I checked, they said OK, and he got a knife.;)

And then he got a pretty good bandage, and I decided he may never get a gun. I told him specifically NOT to do it, as did his step-dad...and he did it. He doesn't deal with blood well, either. Even his little 10 year old sister (the whiniest kid on the planet the last few times I saw her) told him to quit whining about his poor little finger.:p

19. planosteve

Some peoples kids. ;)

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Steve, you are amazing. Though you need to work on your lack of multi tools.:D
    I keep one in each vehicle, one in the range bag, one in my day pack that I use to go to work every day, one in the tool box in the garage, one in the tool box downstairs, small ones on each keychain...you get the drift.:eek:

I have gotten out of the habit of shooting .22, so I still have a decent stock, but thanks for the offer. I think my scouts (I'm on the committee now, not directly a scoutmaster) are getting ready to do some shooting, so I might use a half a brick, and some 12 gauge, but I'm ok for now.:)

When I had my new Swede out last week, I took along my Mossberg 620K, single shot bolt in .22 mag. It was nice picking off rocks up on the hill at 100+.
    When I couldn't find .22 last year, I bought a few boxes of .22 mag and .17. Oddly, now I can find .22LR (at $65-$75 a brick, they can keep it) and .17 HMR at $12-$14 a box, but I didn't see any .22 mag.:confused:

My wife got me a gift certificate for my birthday last week, at the local small gun dealer, he has .22 at $65, so she got me that much on the certificate. I told her that was a good move, because I can use it to get his other normal priced ammo.:)