Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not looking for dramatic quantity of reloads or loads. Just trying to get started in a slow way and acquire new skills. I was going to buy a Lee Classic Hand loader for 9mm for my C9 and soon to be 995. I dropped Lee an email and got a reply that the reloads are not for semis. Now, how can that be? I've never seen a non-semi 9mm. Are they talking about single action bolt? Or, are they just doing a CYA?

Am I barking up the wrong tree on the hand loader? I've done some research and seen the videos of how to use one. What say folks?

·
Banned
19,446 Posts
im not sure but id start out with a single stage press kit instead of the hand loader. its alot simpler and less work intensive. go for the lee anniversary kit and you'll never look back.

SW

G

·
Get a Lee Hand Press and a set of Lee 9mm dies. They offer this as a kit.
You can then use other dies in the press to load other rounds.

I live in a small house with no place to put a press. The Lee hand press
has worked perfectly foe me. I use it to load .38/.357 and 40 S&W. I can
do aout 50 rounds an hour on it.

You won't regret it.

All the Best.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Regardless of type............ anyone know why Lee would tell him any of their loaders were not recommended for semiautomatics?

·
Banned
19,446 Posts
i cant find anything on the lee site that says anything about not being able to load auto ammo on a hand press. id call back and get a confirmation and a reson on that one.

SW

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Not looking for dramatic quantity of reloads or loads. Just trying to get started in a slow way and acquire new skills. I was going to buy a Lee Classic Hand loader for 9mm for my C9 and soon to be 995. I dropped Lee an email and got a reply that the reloads are not for semis. Now, how can that be? I've never seen a non-semi 9mm. Are they talking about single action bolt? Or, are they just doing a CYA?

Am I barking up the wrong tree on the hand loader? I've done some research and seen the videos of how to use one. What say folks?
I have one and have had no problems with it, (but you do want to buy their priming tool - putting in primers with a rod and hammer is a pain, especially when you set off a few.)
They don't recommend the Lee loader for semi-auto rifles because in the rifle calibers, they only do a neck resizing. However, with the 9mm, it resizes the entire case, and will work fine. I'm still using mine while I wait for my backordered christmas gifts (press kit and dies) to arrive. The lee auto-prime was the best cash I have spent. Many don't like the lee loader, but it's a good way to get started. If you decide to go that route, you should get the lee loader, a auto-prime, chamfer tool, and the case trimmer and gauge. Also, if you decide to go with the lee loader, send me a message and I'll give you some tips on how to speed up processing with it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Silicon Wolverine: Yes. I meant the hand press to be used with the plastic mallet.

Here is the cut and paste quote that I got from Pat at Lees Precision:

"The Lee Loader in 9mm does full length resize the cartridge case; Lee Loaders for bottleneck rifle cartridges neck size only and shouldn't be used in semi-autos. Thank you for considering Lee Precision."

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drezac: I understand now.

Thanks everybody for the help and the tips and I will return and take people up on their offers of tips when I'm ready to produce.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Looks like another problem solved. Are you guys good or what?? Nice teamwork!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I used to know someone who would take the original Lee loaders and use a bottle capper instead of a mallet. It worked much easier. But the old bottle cappers are hard to find.

wizard93

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Silicon Wolverine: Yes. I meant the hand press to be used with the plastic mallet.

Here is the cut and paste quote that I got from Pat at Lees Precision:

"The Lee Loader in 9mm does full length resize the cartridge case; Lee Loaders for bottleneck rifle cartridges neck size only and shouldn't be used in semi-autos. Thank you for considering Lee Precision."
So I wonder why they make a Lee Loader for .45 acp?

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Delmar,

The 45ACP, form Lee or anyone else, resizes the full cartridge length from top to bottom since it is a straight cartridge. Many rifle cartridges are "necked down" and reloading dies only size the top end of the case not the whole thing like most pistol ammo.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Delmar,

The 45ACP, form Lee or anyone else, resizes the full cartridge length from top to bottom since it is a straight cartridge. Many rifle cartridges are "necked down" and reloading dies only size the top end of the case not the whole thing like most pistol ammo.
I still don't understand why Lee says they shouldn't be used on semi autos.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Because it only neck resizes the case can become swollen from use in diff guns and not fit in the chamber right. This would not be as much of a problem if you were reloading only your own brass that was only shot in one gun! This can even be a problem for bolt actions if you load pickups or for more than one gun!

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Delmar,

Get a couple of reloading books or manuals and they will answer your questions much better than I ever could. I suggest "The ABC's of Reloading" and "Modern Reloading". The latter is written by Richard Lee and is very much a promotional book for his products and company but also offers very detailed explanations of the reloading process and how the process works.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The confusion seems to be not to use the Lee Classic Loader on semi-auto firearms where the gauge is such only the neck is sized. Seems that their verbiage/wording could be better and more clear. I ordered a Lee Classic Loader in 9mm from Cabelas for $21.99 and the shipping was only $5.45. For under $28.00 delivered this is worth a try for me. It was back ordered with expected arrival/restock at Cabelas of Feb 28, 2009.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am a reloading rookie but I "think" that the Lee Loader only neck sizes RIFLE brass, but full length resizes most straight-wall PISTOL brass, like many semi-autos use?

I stand ready to be properly corrected by those that use the simple Lee Loader.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"I am a reloading rookie but I "think" that the Lee Loader only neck sizes RIFLE brass, but full length resizes most straight-wall PISTOL brass, like many semi-autos use?"

This is correct. That is what I was trying to say above.

For those looking for very good bullet prices that include shipping see:
http://www.bulletsdirect.com/index.htm

For example: 500 9mm RNL are $32.00 and 1,000 got for $51. This price is WITH shipping.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts