Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the deal on these rifles? Hard to come by and pricey. Most of the ones I've seen on the net are in pretty rough shape, especially the wood.

How sturdy are they, the 2-piece stock just looks like it wants to break apart.

But I want one to complete my WWII-ish collection. I have a the Auto-Ordnance M1 Carbine, the Arisaka Type 38, Carcano M41, Romanian M44 Mosin, and Yugo M48 Mauser, a British rifle would more or less round it out and the 303 seems to be about the only thing available.

Which "Mark" would be the one to get? What should I look for? What should I stay away from?

Is there another British rifle that would be a candidate? Maybe a post war rifle, most of the ones I mentioned above are post war anyway so the window is wide open.

·
Premium Member
4,679 Posts
I've had 3 of them at one time or another. Fine fighting rifle, power about on par with the .308. Very rugged and reliable. What you're finding is what's left - mostly beaters and/or a VERY few still up for collections. Thousands came here after the war and were "converted" into sporters..I.E. given the Bubba treatment. IMO, get a Mark 4 IF you can find one. Unless the barrel's been cut, don't be afraid of a sporter - military wood can often be found. Which Type 38 do you have? I like the 6.5 better than the 7.7 Type 99. Really fun rifle to shoot.

Reactions: moona11

·
Super Moderator
28,406 Posts
Years ago, I had one that was U.S. marked, matching SN, and parkerized. A "Lend Lease" gun. It was neat but I never shot it so I ended up trading it for a pistol. I still had the original price tag I paid attached to the trigger guard. Based on the value of what I was trading, I made money. :)

I have a good buddy who swears that the Mark IV is among the smoothest bolts that you can work and is his preference for bolties over all others.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
What's the deal on these rifles? Hard to come by and pricey. Most of the ones I've seen on the net are in pretty rough shape, especially the wood.

How sturdy are they, the 2-piece stock just looks like it wants to break apart.

But I want one to complete my WWII-ish collection. I have a the Auto-Ordnance M1 Carbine, the Arisaka Type 38, Carcano M41, Romanian M44 Mosin, and Yugo M48 Mauser, a British rifle would more or less round it out and the 303 seems to be about the only thing available.

Which "Mark" would be the one to get? What should I look for? What should I stay away from?

Is there another British rifle that would be a candidate? Maybe a post war rifle, most of the ones I mentioned above are post war anyway so the window is wide open.

Probably one of the finest military rifles, started in 1889 and is still being used in Crapistan, against US Troops. Super hard wood. Even though theyre two piece, I've never seen one cracked. You need a Arisaka 7.7. The .303 is in line and comparable to all of the Battle Rifle Cartridges used during the time frame. I don't think that there's a "bad" Lee Enfield. They were made very well. Mine are Longbranch (Canadian). I got mine when they were at Woolworths for 85.00, tells you how long ago that it was. The marks are BSA (Britain), Lithgow (Australia), Longbranch (Canada) and Ishapore (India and in .308 NATO/7.62X51). I have several from each manufacturer.

Look for matching numbers and the barrel crown. Don't get the "Jungle Carbine", it kicks like a mule, all of that walnut soaks up recoil. Get a sporterized one if you want but I'd give them less for it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/30za6h

·
Premium Member
4,679 Posts
This one in 6.5:
Only one I haven't shot yet, need ammo!
Thanks folks, a lot to digest on the LE. I wouldn't mind a sporter, need to look at them again on GunBroker.
I have 4 rounds squirreled away for that rifle. At one point Privi and Hornady were making ammo, but I doubt that'll happen again soon. 10 to 1 it shoots low/left when you find ammo
@missiledefender - THANK YOU!! Like Krik, I let all of mine slide to finance left-handed rifles or pistols. Big mistake on my part. Really appreciate the added info and links. Heard it said that America entered WWI with a target rifle, Germany with a hunting rifle but the Brits had a fighting rifle. I'd have to agree. If I had to fight with a bolt rifle, the Enfield IV is my first pick, bar none. Smooth as butter and double the payload of anything else

Reactions: moona11

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 4 rounds squirreled away for that rifle. At one point Privi and Hornady were making ammo, but I doubt that'll happen again soon. 10 to 1 it shoots low/left when you find ammo
I'm finding PCI ammo for around $1.50/rnd right now, just haven't bought any yet. $1.50/rnd doesn't sound so bad at the moment 😵 I'd like to get 100rnds and shoot half now and keep half for later.

I'll keep the low/left thing in mind when I do shoot it and report back!

I picked this up at my LGS for $350 back in January 2020. Need to see if they have any leads on an Enfield!!!

·
Premium Member
9,243 Posts
This one in 6.5:

View attachment 73159

Non mum:

View attachment 73160

Only one I haven't shot yet, need ammo!

Thanks folks, a lot to digest on the LE. I wouldn't mind a sporter, need to look at them again on GunBroker.
That is a school rifle. My T38 is a school rifle. The chrysanthemum has 3 marks through it. Done when the rifle was given to the school showing that the rifle no longer belonged to the emperor.

The chrysanthemum on yours shows to have been ground. Again to show that it was no longer owned by the emperor.m

·
Premium Member
4,679 Posts
Guns surrendered at the end of WWII had the mums ground off. Bring backs usually didn't.

·
Premium Member
35,758 Posts
Unless the barrel's been cut, don't be afraid of a sporter - military wood can often be found.
Not so much anymore. And if you DO find the wood, you probably won’t find the hardware, and stocking up an Enfield isn’t child’s play.
Some wood is really nice.

I have 2 No. 1 Mk III, both BSA, a 1916 and a 1917, one is sporterized, and a 1942 No. 4 Mk 1*, by Savage.

Really, they are both great rifles, the type isn’t as important as the condition of the gun itself, especially the throat and the barrel. The No. 4 may have better sights, most had aperture sights.

·
Premium Member
4,679 Posts
@ajole - WOW! Whoda thunk it!? That is a sweet stock!

Reactions: ajole

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
@Dubar

If Greg is correct, and your Arisaka is a School Rifle, those were only for training. Not for live ammunition. Some barrels at times were not even rifled. Does that bolt have FRONT locking lugs? We went through this on another board. Check here. Pics and videos of training rifles.

If your rifle is like the one shown, STOP.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info, my Arisaka has the lugs, rifling, and long extractor so I think I'm good.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So after all this talk I went back to look on Gun Broker and see this lonely MK3 being offered for $450 with less than 24hrs to go on the bidding. There were zero bids on it so I said why not and placed my bid. I was the only bidder and won it yesterday!!!

Appears to be in nice shape, but until I get it I won't know for sure. The only "blemish" mentioned in the writeup was the top hand guard doesn't match the rest of the wood. No gouges or dings in the wood that I could see, except 1 small ding on the rear of the stock:

Hope I'm not disappointed!!! 1930 BSA built.

·
Premium Member
35,758 Posts
Should be a solid rifle. Now you get to learn about the Brits and their obsession with stamps. There will be a pile of different stamps all over the thing.

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
45 Posts
@missiledefender - THANK YOU!! Like Krik, I let all of mine slide to finance left-handed rifles or pistols. Big mistake on my part. Really appreciate the added info and links. Heard it said that America entered WWI with a target rifle, Germany with a hunting rifle but the Brits had a fighting rifle. I'd have to agree. If I had to fight with a bolt rifle, the Enfield IV is my first pick, bar none. Smooth as butter and double the payload of anything else
What weight bullets were they? Mine does good with 140's, not so much with other weights. They'll group good, just not where I aim.

·
Premium Member
4,679 Posts
What weight bullets were they? Mine does good with 140's, not so much with other weights. They'll group good, just not where I aim.
140 round nose - just like the original Japanese loads. Does your's shoot high or low?

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
I like the Enfield alot. I just cant get it tight in mt shoulder. Its for those tiny British and Indian people. With a 1 inch recoil buffer on it it okay to shoot. But I really need 2 inches more for it to be comfortable. My wife and her girlfriends can shoot it all day ling and not have issues.

·
Premium Member
4,679 Posts
I like the Enfield alot. I just cant get it tight in mt shoulder. Its for those tiny British and Indian people. With a 1 inch recoil buffer on it it okay to shoot. But I really need 2 inches more for it to be comfortable. My wife and her girlfriends can shoot it all day ling and not have issues. View attachment 73169
How do you like the B-Square side mount? I had one on a Number 4 and loved it, but I'm left handed. Also like the 94 side mounts that most people cuss.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
How do you like the B-Square side mount? I had one on a Number 4 and loved it, but I'm left handed. Also like the 94 side mounts that most people cuss.
I like it it was easy to add on and just works.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts