Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Other than a sling, any other things like tools I need to get? I'd like to find out what service the rifle was used in. Did RAF really use blue slings or is that an after-market gimmic?

My Welsh granddad was in WWI, not sure what he had for a personal weapon but he was in the Royal Machinegun Corp at one point. Only British relative I know of that was in the military in WWII was my uncle Leslie, who was a tank commander so I was told. Of course my mom and aunt were nurses, I doubt they carried anything but bed pans and severed limbs to the incinerator.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
Does that one slip on or bolt on? Brand? With my shoulder the way it is I'm sure I'll need one.
It uses the same screws as the brass plate. As for brand no idea bought it years ago.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
I've seen those online, can't recall the brand either but I know what to look for now.
I really don't know if it helps with recoil. Limbsaver is a better bet for that. I got it for length. The stock is just to short for me and really every one else that shot it. Rachs big gorilla arms would probably hate it to

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
44 Posts
140 round nose - just like the original Japanese loads. Does your's shoot high or low?
With H4895 the Hornady 140gr roundnose that's discontinued decades ago and you can't even find on the back of shelves in old gunstores anymore, DEAD ON. I've got a little over half a box in case I actually try to take it out hunting someday. The SPPER Hot-Cor's shoot really good but a tad low. If I bury the back sight like a Carcano where I just see the tip of the front sight in the rear v they're on for elevation. Both are good on windage. I tried Sierra soft points and it didn't like them as much, some heavy cast bullets that keyholed. I have a box of Hornady 140gr SST's, but havn't loaded any yet, kind of a shame to waste something that sleek and streamlined on open sights. The120gr's all shot low and left to varying degrees, that's what I figured you'd shot and I was going to be the hero of the day by suggesting 140's.Oh well.
Onto the Lee Enfield, they can be bad to only like MKVII ammo. My No4 Mk1 the worst I've ever seen, it's also the only one I've ever shot so I don't know if all No3Mk1's are like that or just mine. the lower the bullet weight the lower and lefter my impacts. Oh my god, the best groups I've ever seen out of a surplus rifle were with it and 123gr V-Maxes, just off the bottom left corner of the target. Toyed with putting a scope on it for years and never have. Don't want to drill holes in it and not sure about the bolt ons. Would be nice to set the scope for V-Max and leave the sights for MkVII, if I could find one that still lets me use clips. I'd like to find one of those butt pads too. Even the L (long) stocks were only 1/4 inch longer.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The stock is just to short for me
Funny you should mention that. For some reason I got to thinking about LOP this morning so I measured myself and came up with 15". I then measured some of my rifles and found they go from 12-3/4" (Arisaka) to 13-1/2" (AO M1 Carbine) with most at 13". I do have a 1" pad on the Mosin (now 14") but probably should put pads on all the others. But even a 1" pad is still too short.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
Funny you should mention that. For some reason I got to thinking about LOP this morning so I measured myself and came up with 15". I then measured some of my rifles and found they go from 12-3/4" (Arisaka) to 13-1/2" (AO M1 Carbine) with most at 13". I do have a 1" pad on the Mosin (now 14") but probably should put pads on all the others. But even a 1" pad is still too short.
They were smaller back in the day. Its amazing to see the size difference in people a few generations apart.

·
Premium Member
6,810 Posts
Years ago, I found and bought a 2" slip on butt pad for a 12ga shot gun I had at the time. A light weight single shot that was short stocked and hurt the shoulder. BUT, I kept the pad and still use it on heavier cal rifles when need be. Might look at one similar.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Guns surrendered at the end of WWII had the mums ground off. Bring backs usually didn't.
School rifles also had the mums removed or marked through.And the symbol for school was added. Mine has 3 bars stamped across the mum. It is to show that the emperor no longer owned the rifle. Surrendered rifles had toe mums ground off or disfigured so the emperor would not lose face.

and I was wrong about @Dubar rifle, it is a surrendered rifle, not a school rifle it has not the symbol for school. I have no idea what I was looking at. :unsure:

Reactions: OldOutlaw

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
@Dubar

If Greg is correct, and your Arisaka is a School Rifle, those were only for training. Not for live ammunition. Some barrels at times were not even rifled. Does that bolt have FRONT locking lugs? We went through this on another board. Check here. Pics and videos of training rifles.

If your rifle is like the one shown, STOP.
Not altogether true. While some school rifles were for training only, others were functioning rifles that were given to the schools. On the rifles given to the schools the mum was disfigured and the mark for school was added. These are functioning rifles capable of being safely fired.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Thanks for the info, my Arisaka has the lugs, rifling, and long extractor so I think I'm good.
at the sake of being redundant, your rifle is not a school rifle. Honestly, I did not pay attention to the markings. I saw no mum. And there was a very good job of of grinding it off. Almost looks like it had been refinished. I jumped to a wrong conclusion. The mark for school looks kind of like an "X" and it would of been stamped between the gas ports.

Your rifle is a surrendered rifle.

Reactions: Dubar

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
140 round nose - just like the original Japanese loads. Does your's shoot high or low?
Japanese used pointed bullets

British used round nose

Yes, the British used Arisakas. So did the Italians, but those were chambered in the standard Italian 6.5x52.

Ant lest I make another mistake, let me clarify. I was only interested in WWII rifles. These pictures are WWII cartridges. The Japanese 6.5x50SR for the typev30nsingle shot might very well have been round nose like the 30-03 Springfield and other battle rifle cartridges were, before the change to 30-06 and the switch to lighter spitzer bullets.

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
at the sake of being redundant, your rifle is not a school rifle. Honestly, I did not pay attention to the markings. I saw no mum. And there was a very good job of of grinding it off. Almost looks like it had been refinished. I jumped to a wrong conclusion. The mark for school looks kind of like an "X" and it would of been stamped between the gas ports.

Your rifle is a surrendered rifle.
I'm going to go back and document all the stampings I can find on my wwII-ish rifles, so I can have a better understanding of what I have. My Romanian M44 Mosin has a load of them all over the gun.

The ground off mum...when I run my finger across it I can feel the lumps, it isn't that smoothly ground but the finished surface is nice.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Interesting. I knew the Japanese had used Carcanos, but didn't know the Italians had used Arisakas.
You know… you might be right. I need to check myself, I do know that the rifle was called the Type I. I for Italian, not type 1. It had the Arisaka action but the Carcano magazine / feeding system. It was a Navy rifle. I think my book is at my second house, where I will be tonight. I will look it up.

Reactions: lklawson

·
Registered
364 Posts
There's really nothing wrong with them but, i never cared for them. Never liked the action or cartridge. I could've bought a Mk IV at a gunshow about 10 years ago for a hundred bucks.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
You know… you might be right. I need to check myself, I do know that the rifle was called the Type I. I for Italian, not type 1. It had the Arisaka action but the Carcano magazine / feeding system. It was a Navy rifle. I think my book is at my second house, where I will be tonight. I will look it up.
Well, I really messed this one up.:sick: The Arisaka Type I is a Carcano action with the Arisaka box magazine. It is chambered for the 6.5x50SR and was used by the Japanese navy. At least I got the used by the navy right.

Reactions: lklawson and Dubar

·
Premium Member
8,512 Posts
They were smaller back in the day. Its amazing to see the size difference in people a few generations apart.
Roman Legioneers were an average 5 foot 4 inches tall.

Their height may have been a large advantage over taller enemy.

eldar

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
44 Posts
Well, I really messed this one up.:sick: The Arisaka Type I is a Carcano action with the Arisaka box magazine. It is chambered for the 6.5x50SR and was used by the Japanese navy. At least I got the used by the navy right.
Well, sometimes half right is a victory.
Years ago at a pawn shop I saw an obviously mismarked Carcano that said "6.5 Jap". Years later I found out there was such a thing, but considering this same place once had a 7.35 Carcano marked "Mauser, SKS, 7mm" I wonder. Don't recall flipping it over to see the magazine, from the top it looked straight Carcano so me and Pap just laughed and walked away.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts