Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,752 Posts
Roman Legioneers were an average 5 foot 4 inches tall.

Their height may have been a large advantage over taller enemy.

eldar
And it may have been a "large" disadvantage. Reach matters when using swords and spears.

Got any sort of reason for your hypothesis? I can see it being a benefit in regards to feeding and outfitting the troops.

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
44 Posts
May have been an advantage to be able to get underneath the opponents shield and thrust upwards, did the Legioneers fight that close? I guess I need to brush up on history. I know they were close, but a big difference between daggers and spears. Skill and courage I guess is what it boiled down to.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
And it may have been a "large" disadvantage. Reach matters when using swords and spears.

Got any sort of reason for your hypothesis? I can see it being a benefit in regards to feeding and outfitting the troops.
In my prime in high school I wrestled. I was 5’8" and 240 pounds. That meant I wrestled heavy weight. That also meant that my opponents were generally over 6 feet tall. Leverage means a lot.

On the other hand, I was pretty good with pugilist sticks on Parris Island, Maybe @Rerun has a point?

·
Premium Member
35,752 Posts
Maybe. That’s why I’m asking what that point is.

You can’t thrust under my shield if I can jab you before you get close enough.

More importantly....most of the Roman legions were made up of foreign troops trying to gain citizenship. And pretty much EVERYBODY was 5’4 back then...so I’m not seeing an advantage.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Picked it up today, quick service!

FFL even had some 303 Brit ammo at $1.30/rnd so I got 2 boxes.

The wood is in even better shape than I thought, but it's stamped 1955 so the stock is a replacement on the 1930 barrel. Fits right in with all the other post-war rifles I have. Bolt is easy to operate, bore looks really clean too. I'm most pleased!!!

·
Premium Member
35,752 Posts
Yep, there’s not an Enfield out there that hasn’t been put through a factory refurb. Or two.

That’s a good looking rifle!

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I'm gonna need some tools, I don't have a screwdriver long/big enough to get to the bolt the holds the rear of the stock on!!! I want to take wood off to get a good look at everything and clean all the metal parts.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Learned I need a tool to take apart the bolt, so that's on order. While I had the CC out I ordered a sling, oiler, ammo clips, and a barrel band. I think the one on it is not correct, the stock has the notch for the hinged band and I want to move the sling swivel from where it is (near the mag) to the barrel band where it should be. If I put the swivel on the current band, the band is then too loose. Still need to get a long, large screwdriver though (don't think a lug wrench will work).

Swabbed out the bore this morning, didn't need to. It was clean and the rifling looks fine.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
Learned I need a tool to take apart the bolt, so that's on order. While I had the CC out I ordered a sling, oiler, ammo clips, and a barrel band. I think the one on it is not correct, the stock has the notch for the hinged band and I want to move the sling swivel from where it is (near the mag) to the barrel band where it should be. If I put the swivel on the current band, the band is then too loose. Still need to get a long, large screwdriver though (don't think a lug wrench will work).

Swabbed out the bore this morning, didn't need to. It was clean and the rifling looks fine.
I use a socket extension with a blade socket

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
44 Posts
I've got a tire iron here I keep in the house just for taking stocks off. The larger diameter shaft keeps them centered in the stock. They have to be the ones ground to a v not the ones that like like a /. If my camera were working I'd show you, maybe if I can find my backup. On the barrel band, I've got 3 I'm in the middle of restoring, after your new one comes in I'd be willing to take the old one off your hands and help offset what you paid for the new barrel band. Any new parts you put on I might be interested in buying the old ones.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
On the barrel band, I've got 3 I'm in the middle of restoring, after your new one comes in I'd be willing to take the old one off your hands and help offset what you paid for the new barrel band. Any new parts you put on I might be interested in buying the old ones.
Sounds like a plan. I don't know if the hinged band will work or if the previous owner had sanded down the stock to the point that the band was loose (don't think so, it doesn't look like it), but if the hinged band works I won't have a need for the other so......

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
44 Posts
I'm not a hundred percent sure on why, wood drying out or compression from the sling tugging it, but some rifles just get smaller at the bands and they're just loose. A lot I didn't notice until taking the band off and noticing folds of paper/cardboard underneath to keep them tight. Hopefully the new band cures it though. Maybe someone more familiar with SMLEs can chime in about different sized barrel bands.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
If both end up too large I'm going to try a strip of rubber, like bicycle inner tube.

I don't think I'll be able to get out to the range this week to shoot it, but the week after for sure. Now my SIL and nephew both belong to the range I'm a member of so I'll have plenty of company!!! Nephew just joined and he's looking for a rifle!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
This one in 6.5:

View attachment 73159

Non mum:

View attachment 73160

Only one I haven't shot yet, need ammo!

Thanks folks, a lot to digest on the LE. I wouldn't mind a sporter, need to look at them again on GunBroker.
Nice Type 38! I have a Nagoya, late 1941/early 1942 manufacture, Type 99. I have been able to get 7.7x58mm from Precision Made Cartridge in Indiana, and Fin Feather Fur in Ohio. I do know that Norma, because I have some, makes the Type 99 ammo as well, and I have seen 6.5x50mm Type 38 ammo, on the shelves at Fin Feather Fur, in Norwalk Ohio.

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
44 Posts
Anybody that don't reload and has a 6.5 Arisaka save me their brass. I can make 7.7 out of 270 and 30-06, but rarely find 6.5, and ca't form it from anything else.

·
Premium Member
35,752 Posts

There should be a swivel both at the barrel band, AND at the magazine...plus the stacking swivel on the front, unless yours got the update that changed the mag swivel to a simple loop that let them attach a canvas action cover. By the date, that’s probably “correct” for yours. The barrel band should be hinged. Unless it got the non-hinged one. Both are correct. BUT...It should definitely have a swivel. Is your band marked? If not, it’s probably not original, they should have an “efd” mark for Enfield. Although later on, they may not, and...yours is a later model, so the refurb may not be marked. But I still think it’s wrong, just due to not having a swivel.

Point being, there’s LOTS of variations of what bands and swivels were put where, and how they were used. There are even pictures of cav units with the sling on the front and rear barrel locations.

Also...the screw for the barrel bands was staked, and removing it without drilling that out would destroy the threads in the band. Seems the Brits were dead serious about NOT taking the wood off your gun, unless it was in the armory. Maybe yours didn’t have the staking, but that could be an issue.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
The band screw isn't staked, actually I believe the screw is a stainless screw. The only thing that looks like a stamp appear to be 2 letters , DP, on the outside of the band (which from what I just saw means "Drill Purpose"):

It's the only part on the gun that looks well used and with just about all the finish gone.

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
44 Posts
I can't recall coming across any band screws that were staked either, doesn't mean someone else hadn't busted them loose before I got them though. I should have an extra sling swivel around here somewhere If you want it.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts