Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On their website, in the product description for the Lee Loader "Classic" in .357 Mag,

"Lee Loader is a complete reloading system, kit includes everything needed to reload 357 Magnum, except wood or plastic mallet. The mallet may be obtained from your local hardware store. This kit can also be used to load the 38 Special with the purchase of load data and dipper."​

And of the Lee Loader "Classic" in .38 Special,

"Lee Loader is a complete reloading system, kit includes everything needed to reload 38 Special, except wood or plastic mallet. The mallet may be obtained from your local hardware store. The 357 Mag can be reloaded with this kit with the purchase of load data and dipper."​

I can understand using the same dies to resize the brass, seat the primers, and, by adjusting the length, seat the bullet, but could the same dies roll crimp both the .38 SPL and the .357 Mag? After all they are different length cartridges and the crimp has to be at different heights. So I reached out to Lee and technician responded that the same kit can actually roll crimp for either. I don't know how, but he says it is so.

In fact, to quote, he wrote:

"Yes it will. The only difference between the Classic Lee Loader for the 357 Mag and the Classic Lee Loader for the 38spl is the powder dipper and the load data card that are included in the individual sets."
So there you have it. Buy either one. Which ever one is on clearance or that you found at a yard sale. Then spend the princely sum of $2; $1 for the alternate load data sheet and $1 for the alternate dipper.

And, if you look around, you can find where people have already copies of the load data sheet. I got a screen shot the .357 Mag load data sheet from from a YouTube instructional video on the Lee Loader 357 Mag.

Links to Lee product descriptions:
https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-357-mag.html
https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-38-spl.html

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
9,444 Posts
Yep.

maybe where you are confused it that the crimp function in the die is not manufactured to go all the way down to the base. To do so would destroy your case.

38 spl will load 357 Mag, 44 Mag will load 44 spl, 45 Colt will load 454 Casull.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Dog Bulldog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn
What they said.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
I bought a Lee Loader for 38/357 and since I already have load data for both i have used it to load both with great results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts