Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i am thinking about trying some gas checks on my 9mm rounds. I am trying to come up with a solid 995 load. Anyways does anyone know if this mold will produce bullets that accept gas checks? I already own this mold and a lee sizer kit so i am hoping to just have to buy some checks and go. Any intell would be greratly appreciated. Thanks -BOb

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
No Idea but I'm interested in the answer from those among us that use gas checks.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also does anyone know if it is safe to use old batterys for the lead in em? I was thinking if i drained the acid out, then coeated the lead in baking soda then rinsed it off really well with a hose would it be safe to melt the lead down? I have around fifty old batterys of all diffrent sizes from big truck batterys to small atv batterys.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
batteries are a BIG NO NO for melting down for lead. in the smelting process you will release acidic gasses from the oxidization on teh plates. you will also release hydro-chlorine gas from any remaining acid on the plates as they heat up. for the minimla amount of lead you get froma plate it just isnt worth it. take them to teh recycling center and trade for wheel weights or cash.

as to gas checks on a 9mm, its kind of pointless. you arent reaching the velocities where GCs will do you any good. and no lee mold in 9mm is deisgned for GC either. youd have to buy a custom mold for that.

SW

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Modern lead batteries aren't pure lead. Lead dioxide is what is on one side or the other. I'll melt almost anything, but not car batteries.

FWIW, lead dioxide is used in some primer compounds. Also, lead dioxide is great for a DIY chlorate/perchlorate production cell.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I cant install a gas check on just any molded round right??

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
So I cant install a gas check on just any molded round right??
No.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Please do not try to melt down old batteries for bullet lead. You'll get way more crap than lead and the fumes are very toxic. You'll have your own superfund site for minimal returns at best.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
i'd really like to hear if anyone has developed a good load for the 995 with cast boolits... it's about the only thing holding me back from buying one of those sweet machines.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
CU, I got the 995TS and borrowed a load from Silicon Wolverine that does great. Blue Dot powder under a 124g LRN cast boolit and a bit longer OAL than the ones I load for the C9 with HP-38.

Feel sure he'd be glad to PM it to you if you asked.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
i didnt have much luck with lead with my particular 995. just doesnt like it for some reason, real poor accuracy. even different weights and powders didnt get it to group well. i stick to jacketed with excellent results. Most other 995s work well with my load. ive given it out to several different people with excellent results all around.

SW

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
tks for the heads-up TN!

SW, if ya have time in the near future & could PM that recipe I'll file it in my 9mm folder, with the sincere hope that I can try them in my own 995TS not long from now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.