Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my lee anniversary kit all set up and reloaded a box of 9mm other nite. Only one problem. About every 3rd or 4th round I had to recalibrate the powder measure. Just weight every charge to be sure. Took about 3 hours to load 50 rounds. Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you need to run a couple hoppers full of powder through it to start with to limber it up and get everything coated correctly.

SW
I'm on the 4th one

·
Registered
476 Posts
Might have moisture or static build up from out of the box .. I also found some powders feed better than others .. Also make sure that you use the same method every time you load a shell . If you tap the bin one time and not the next you will have a little bit of difference .

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
How far off is the measure throwing that you have to reset it? Also, what type of powder is it? I use that powder mesure sometimes and it throws very consistent with ball powders and maybe off with the larger extruded powders by up to 2/10's.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Mine is very consistent. Sorry to hear your having problems. Be sure to use the exact same full stroke each time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm using Unique powder. I tap twice when throw the charge. It is off .3-.01 gr.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
hmmm. i use unique in mine all the time. try tapping four times each throw and see if that works. thats what i do. alos make sure you are moving the full throw and wait to give the powder time to fill and run out. flake powder takes longer to fill the spout and empty out that extruded powders do.

SW

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
never had a issue with mine. I tap twice in the up position and twice in the down position. If you keep on having issues both midway and lee have great customer service so they will help you out ASAP

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I also experienced a little bit of problems with consistent throws with mine. Once I settled into a pattern, they ironed themselves out though. With Unique, I tap 3 times on the fill and twice on the throw and it's perfect every time. With ball powders I only tap once on fill and once on the throw and it's good to go.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I think I finally got things ironed out. :yay!: I loaded about 100 rounds in last 2 days and the charges have been within 5 flakes of powder. Only took 4 hoppers of powder. Thanks all for the help and advice. Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
4 full hoppers of powder for 100 rounds? Holy crap! Either you're loading them real hot, or you're not filling the hopper all the way up when you start loading.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
I think he ment that he had to dun 4 hoppers of powder through the measurer before it started throwing good loads. I had to run about a pound through mine as well. 8)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think he ment that he had to dun 4 hoppers of powder through the measurer before it started throwing good loads. I had to run about a pound through mine as well. 8)
Yup thats what I meant. Reread it after I posted the last and thought it might be misunderstood but didnt really think so. haha on me. Didnt mean to panic anybody.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The powder makes a huge difference. Ball is a lot more consistent than flake.

I have my shotgun,9mm,45,38sp. all on green dot so I do not have to have a lot of different powders. I get small variance but as long as you do not vary to the hotter side it does not matter to me. It works great and I can not tell the difference in practice rounds. I shoot IDPA and practice a lot. Green dot is pretty cheap.

I have been reloading for over 50 years and never had a reload blow up.

But that is just me. Results may vary and do not listen to what I say. Do your own thing!

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
What its doing is coating then inside of the measure surfaces with graphite that wears off the powder. i called and asked lee when i first got it if it should be dissasembled and cleaned and they said no. the dirtier it is with graphite coating, the better it will work.

SW

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.