Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to switch the bolt from the left side to the right? Is it possible to switch the sling from the right side to the left? It seems this rifle I bought used was set up for a left handed shooter.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
just switch sides with the nut and put the screw through the opposite side to change the sling

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'll take a look at my rifle but off hand it should be easy to change the charging handle, but switching ejection would be a little tougher to do as you'd need a new slide.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about switching the bolt which is what I wanted to do but the bolt doesn't travel as far back as it would on the left side. It will function on the right despite this.

·
Registered
847 Posts
High tower, I thing this subject came up in the last iteration of the Matr...... I mean forum.

You could modify the cover to accommodate the travel requirements, but the problem is the sliding nut or handle can accidentally move in while firing and hit the shield (it does not happen on the other side cause the slit is to narrow).

Now, you could leave the handle off, but you would loose the lock open ability.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I toyed around with my 4095 this evening and I found out the bolt handle switch doesn't work out or so it seems to me. The bolt doesn't thread across enough to make it work. I switched the sling to right hand carry but the bolt dug into my back and would not be comfortable unless wearing a heavy coat.
So this brings up a question. It seems to me the Hi Point carbine was designed for lefties since all the automatic rifles I have shot and owned have had the bolt on the right side. Is there a reason for the Hi Point to be different?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
High tower, I thing this subject came up in the last iteration of the Matr...... I mean forum.

You could modify the cover to accommodate the travel requirements, but the problem is the sliding nut or handle can accidentally move in while firing and hit the shield (it does not happen on the other side cause the slit is to narrow).

Now, you could leave the handle off, but you would loose the lock open ability.
I am pretty new to this forum and Hi Points in general. I will just leave it as it is and deal with it but I was just curious why the carbine was designed this way.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
My guess would be because it ejects on the same side as all semi auto pistols, and it was easier for them to put the bolt handle on the opposite side of the ejection port.

I think the HP carbines are kinda like modified pistols with stocks and longer barrels.

G

·
I'm a lefty, and the Hi-Point charging handle setup was a selling point for me. I dislike where the safety is, but it's not too hard to adapt.

It's very fast handling for me, and it's cool to be able to charge the weapon without reaching over the top.

Josh <><

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I am growing very confused :think: :doh:

The charging handle is right where it should be for rightys :!: Why in the freak would you want to charge the weapon with your right hand ... you should be holding the pistol grip with your right hand!! You can then use your left hand to remove and insert magazines and pull the charge handle to the rear and put the carbine into battery :idea:

If I am wrong you had better use pictures to explain it cuz I held by 995 and played around with this for like 10 min to make sure I was right before posting :lol: ....maybe I just like an excuse to hold my 995 :roll:

G

·
Real simple.

The charging method and location of most semi-auto rifles today stems from the location of the bolt handle on a bolt action rifle, and that from the location of the lock on a firelock rifle or musket.

The AR platforms and a few others have true ambidextrous operation, but for most people, having the charging handle on the left side of the gun would be akin to having the bolt handle of a bolt action on the left side - cumbersome, and something I've had to learn to adapt to as a lefty.

Josh <><

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
OK i see where you are coming from however I contend that the location of the hi point charging handle is in the best place for rightys as I said before...

Maybe hi point designed it that way because they thought outside the proverbial box :shock: Instead of putting the handle where guns from the beginning of time had handles they said ...hmmm it would make sense to put the handle where the majority of shooters could easily grasp it with there non dominant hand... the majority being rightys and the handle is on the left side!

Now most of what I have said above is theory :wink: so don't take it wrong and think I am trying to start a fight :lol: Just advancing my theory and opinion :!:

G

·
Real simple.

The charging method and location of most semi-auto rifles today stems from the location of the bolt handle on a bolt action rifle, and that from the location of the lock on a firelock rifle or musket.

The AR platforms and a few others have true ambidextrous operation, but for most people, having the charging handle on the left side of the gun would be akin to having the bolt handle of a bolt action on the left side - cumbersome, and something I've had to learn to adapt to as a lefty.

Josh <><
True, but none of those guns were equipped with a pistol grip. You needed to use your left hand to hold the weapon while cycling the bolt. Now with a modern PG stock its much easier, faster and intuitave to have it on the left.

Lefties loose out again....

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm a lefty and I also love the handle right where it is. Works great for me. I think it should be pretty easy for you righties to adapt to it though just as lefties have adapted to all other semi-autos like my SKS.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I like the bolt handle on the left side. That way I don't have to dismount the weapon to reload. Just makes it quicker into action that way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts