Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enjoyed a boughten meal with the family last night. I picked up seafood carry out. Was disappointed at the cost, but figuring that I did not have to cook it and the amount of food was copious, I guess the $80 price tag was not too bad,

we had leftovers, mostly potatoes, and I thought what can I do with these? I took stock of what I had, 3 baked potatoes, plus one that was mashed up with butter and sour cream that my granddaughter only ate a small portion of. I had 3 small cups of honey butter and 4 of sour cream, and a package of bacon bits, I got a stalk of celery from the Frigidaire and a onion from the onion bin.

I chopped the celery and onion, sautéed them in the butter. Mashed the partially eaten potato and cubed the other three and threw them in the pot added the bacon bits and covered them with water. Added the sour cream, (which I was afraid would ruin the soup) and I have it simmering.

Initial taste test is promising. It has a bit of a different taste, I think imparted by the sour cream. And could maybe use a touch of salt. But it is a cold wet day, and I think it will make a good lunch when paired with grilled cheese sandwiches.

This is really a pretty traditional recipe, differing only by using bacon bits rather than real bacon, honey butter rather than plain butter or olive oil, and replacing the heavy cream with sour cream. I really thought the sour cream was going to mess it up.

Looking forward to lunch………we will see.

·
Super Moderator
9,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update, the soup is cooking nicely. It’s edible, but seems that I was right about the sour cream. It imparts a taste that some may like, but not me. Next time I will keep with cream of half and half.

·
Super Moderator
9,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'm not going to eat it. I'm trying to decide what to have for supper. Any ideas. Simple yet filling
Might I suggest a thick cut ribeye, seasoned with Montreal Steak and seared on each side. Bacon wrapped asparagus, and some seasoned brown rice.

Plenty simple to make, it’s filling, and it will taste better than that potato soup I made.

·
Premium Member
8,404 Posts
Slice of leftover ribeye warmed in butter, potato pancake made form leftover mashed potatoes. Mashed, fine grated onion, egg. Mix to a almost runny consistency, want it stiff enough you can spoon it into the pan and flatten. Fry in butter and oil(50/50 until golden brown on both side. Whatever veg I can dig from the veg freezer..

·
Premium Member
36,313 Posts
Sour cream takes it into the stroganoff area. Maybe a splash of Worcestershire? I don’t like sour cream on my bakers, and I doubt I’d like it in my potato soup, but I can see it being a good change of pace for those that do like it.

The best way to add sour cream, or other thickened milk additives, like cheese, is at the end....so it doesn’t boil, and curdle.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Super Moderator
9,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sour cream takes it into the stroganoff area. Maybe a splash of Worcestershire? I don’t like sour cream on my bakers, and I doubt I’d like it in my potato soup, but I can see it being a good change of pace for those that do like it.

The best way to add sour cream, or other thickened milk additives, like cheese, is at the end....so it doesn’t boil, and curdle.
I cook a lot with milk products. While I disagree with adding it at the end, the hard fast rule is do not boil milk.

If you do not add all together the ingredients do not get the chance to meld and the flavor suffers.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,999 Posts
I think you could have offset the sour cream with additional cream, Greg... just my 2c

·
Premium Member
8,404 Posts
I simmer milk for potato soup, potatoes, onion, celery, and bacon need to cook in it to meld the flavors. If it breaks a little oh well...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts