Leopold optic

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by USMC_VET, Dec 5, 2015.

1. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

Anyone have or have used a Leupold VXR 1.25 - 4x20 patrol optic on their AR ?? . Been doing alot of reading up on this optic and like what I see especially the reticle

The reticle looks like a normal cross hair style with a 65moa circle then a illuminated red dot in the center . The optic itself looks nice and well made and the glass is very clear and sharp . The price is not bad at all as it's $599 and has alot of good reviews

Leopold has this optic in two versions the 1.25 - 4x20 and a 3 - 9x40

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

3. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    So what is the difference between this one and the under $100 versions?

" ITEM NO. IJK-YDRS32 1.5-5x32GL1 VARIABLE POWER SCOPE WITH BUILT IN GREEN LASER, WITH

30MM TUBE SIZE AND HEAVY DUTY MOUNT, DUAL ILLUMINATION RED/GREEN WITH A BUILT IN SUNSHADE

CLOSED TURRENTS EXCELLENT SCOPE 3 TO 4 INCH EYE RELIEF R9 CENTER CROSS RETICLE YOUR COST $ 242.00 "

4. undeRGRound

INDY
    Well, it could be like my "Hubble" :D

The newer stuff becomes available, and the older goes on sale!
    My scope was over $400 and I got it for $250 shipped :D
    8-32x56mm

Attached Files:

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah

Usually, the difference is fit and finish, warranty, and glass quality, plus sometimes, features.

Sadly, no one seems to actually do real comparisons of glass, like they do with cameras, where you can literally compare their ability to focus, pass light, and clarity regarding colors.

Instead, generally, what you get is opinions that the more expensive scope seems brighter, and the target seems to be clearer and more defined.

But I keep reading things that say the $200 fixed 10 power Bushnell or Redfield can do all the things the $1500 Leupold or $2000 Nightforce variables can do, except zoom in, just with "less" clarity. They all track and adjust perfectly, and one reviewer said the Bushnell felt better than the Leupold.

Meanwhile, the reality is, nearly all scope glass is made by the same 5 Asian companies. Swarovski, Zeiss and Leupold and some others reportedly make their own glass, but I think they all offer budget models with Asian glass in them.

So here's the deal...while "good enough" may be the enemy of "great", the reality is, "great" costs a ton, while "good enough" will get the job done, 99% of the time. Everyone has a story about the cheap Tasco they've had on a gun for twenty years, except the guys that buy $2000 scopes who all have stories about the cheap Tasco exploding at 15,000 feet up the mountain while hunting Bigfoot.:rolleyes:

If my life depended on it, or if I were going on a once in a lifetime hunt that cost me $10k to go on, I might spend $1000-2000 on a scope. But it doesn't, and I have about 35 scopes on my guns, so my most expensive scope is under $100, and they haven't failed me yet.

I will say this...I would be suspicious of too much "stuff" at a low price point. If you have all the bells and whistles on a $100 scope...that's very different from a fixed power scope with no bells or whistles, and chances are, those bells and whistles are pretty low quality.

6. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    $100 version on amazon Looks the same....LINK
    [​IMG]

7. undeRGRound

INDY
    MOST (if not all:p) of your scopes are USED.
    Used Scopes are usually very cheap, many are take-offs from
    used guns and are sold separately, very cheap. I got a very
    nice clear Simmons 4-12x40 for $40 used at a tiny "in home"
    LGS in Bowling Green, Indiana. Nice young couple runs it!
    Good Prices, willing to haggle! :cool:

8. undeRGRound

INDY
    Cheap(er) Chinese versions... read the reviews.

Wildly varying QC, but some seem pretty happy with the product.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Why, you wound me sir!:mad:

I'd say only about half are used.:p

I've bought my fair share of new Tasco, BSA, CentrePoint, Burris, Bushnell and Simmons scopes.;)

Some of the used scopes have been very, very nice, though not modern or expensive. Some really nice old blued Weavers, and a sweet old Bushnell ScopeChief.

Funny thing, I've never bought a used scope by itself...I just don't trust them, unless they are still attached to the gun.:rolleyes:
    No logic at all, but...there it is.

That's the Pro Sport one that's $70-$80 new?:confused:
    Not a bad deal.:)

10. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

We passed a Bushnel AR-Optics 3-9x40 that I have on my AR around the LGS along with a $1,500 Leupold. People picked the $225 Bushnell for brightness and clarity!

11. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I know a lot of optics ate made by GSO in Taiwan. They made the mirrors in my telescope.

12. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

The reason for going to a Leupold optic such as their VRX 1.25-4x20 patrol optic is all the positive reviews I'm seeing . Plus its a great optic for CQB which I'm looking at for this particular AR it's being mounted on

This AR currently has a Vortex gen III green/red dot but I'm tired of replacing the cantilever mount . This is the 3rd mount I've stripped the mounting bracket on and getting pissed off on how cheaply made the lower end optics are made

This particular AR was either getting a Leupold or Aimpoint M2 optic again both set up for CQB , I was even looking at another Trijicon but we'll see

Again just tired of the cheaply made optics on the lower end scale . I had a couple Sightmark optics thought those were great until a few range sessions destroyed them

13. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

I read the reviews on them and they are all glowing (at least the ones I found). Looks like everything is high quality and should last a significant time with wear and tear. Looks pretty amazing from what I've read. If you purchase it, we all want to hear about it:)