Less Lethal self defense "gun" coming to market through Indiegogo

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by lklawson, Oct 29, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

OK, so it's basically just another paintball gun with paintball filled with OC. Been doing that for many years. I guess the design of the "gun" is a bit different. Might be easier to use.

http://www.gizmag.com/salt-handgun-non-lethal-defense/40104/

Salt handgun is designed for non-lethal defense

David Szondy
    October 28, 2015

[​IMG]

Chicago-based startup Salt has launched a crowdfunding campaign for a less-than-lethal weapon designed as an alternative to firearms for home and personal protection. The pneumatic pistol is designed to stop intruders using an incapacitating powder that temporarily blinds them while drastically lessening the possibility of family members being killed in an accident.

The founders of the company were inspired by a 2014 shooting near their homes in Chicago. Concerned about the large number of accidental deaths and suicides caused by handguns purchased for home defense, they came up with a less lethal alternative.

The Salt is a CO₂-powered air-gun that fires hollow plastic spheres similar to paintballs, except that instead of paint, they are filled with a proprietary powder made of oleoresin capsicum and other ingredients. On impact, the spheres burst and a fine spray of the powder spreads around the target. This powder is extremely irritating – causing an intense burning sensations that temporarily blinds anyone who encounters it while making it difficult to breath.

The makers say that the powder is stronger in many respects than those used by the military and law enforcement and is designed for maximum stopping power. The effects last up to 50 minutes, though they begin to wear off after 15 to 30 minutes. Because it's a dust, the Salt rounds can not only be used to shoot an assailant directly, but can also lay down a cloud 4-5 feet in diameter that acts as a barrier against attack.

In addition to its less-than-lethal qualities, Salt also emphasizes that the gun is user friendly without the noise or recoil of a conventional firearm. It can also be used at a distance that would not be possible with a Taser or pepper spray. The rounds lose potency over time, and the company recommends replacing them every 3-4 years.

According to the makers, Salt is legal in most US states, with California being the notable exception. It is available for preorder as part of the Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign for a US$299 early bird price, with shipments scheduled to begin in December.

The video below shows a test of the Salt powder.

Source: Salt on Indiegogo

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    How long before there's a redneck on youtube seasoning his BBQ with one?

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    "the Salt rounds can not only be used to shoot an assailant directly, but can also lay down a cloud 4-5 feet in diameter that acts as a barrier against attack...

Yeah....right.:cool:

A piece of paper is a "barrier"...and might be just as good.:rolleyes:

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

In their defense, the RAP4 pepper balls have similar marketiod language, including testimonials, about how once they hit and burst, they release a "cloud" of pepper dust into the air which can have effect.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

BS... I've pepper sprayed drunks and drugged up subjects that it had zero effect on, if anything it p1$$ed them off more and they fought harder. The bigger issue is also that the person using it is going to get the OC as well, especially if it is inside a residence. Unless they have been exposed to OC previously, they are not going to know how to handle the exposure and/or fight through it.

Crowd funding an existing product is just a scam for the uninformed and foolish to throw away their money on.

6. am i missing something?

They say it can be used in close quarters where spray and tasers cannot?

But also say it puts a cloud 4 to 5 feet in diameter? Wouldn't that mean you are going to incapacitate yourself as well?

7. I was thinking this. How many times do we here that it takes MULTIPLE hits to stop someone. meaning that bullets have literally broken the bones and burst organs and skin. They are still moving toward you. BUT this magic salt will stop them?

Come on. Way to steal poor inner city folks money who are afraid of guns, but see this as an defense

8. Grant

Grant Member

Not sure how this is different than...

Attached Files:

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Well, lets see...

gun vs squirt bottle
    Powder vs spray
    Sights vs point and spray
    $400 vs $20...:eek:

I see a HUGE difference, don't you?

10. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

At least it's got a tactical rail.....

11. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Flash said it. And your going to get exposed to it.

12. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Thing I don't like about this less then lethal stuff is how close you need to get for it to ( even) work.
    Some guy is coming at you with a knife and now you need to be level headed enough to wait till he gets close enough and then get a decent shot off.
    Good luck with that.
    Especially with zero training.
    It's a $400 feel good is what that is.

13. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I grind chili peppers to make chili powder twice a year. I am standing in a room full of pepper dust including habenero. Most is does is make my eyes burn and nose run...

14. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

I just clicked the link. Dated today, it states Indiegogo has dropped them. Then their answer to who ever contributed.

Also, I can see where a few in Chicago proper would be interested. I may be incorrect, but I do not think anyone can have a handgun in Chicago itself. Some burbs the same.

This may have changed since I last heard though. Anyone in IL know what Chicago is doing on handguns today?

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It better be better than decent, it better go through his eyeball into his brain.:cool:

I mean think about it...bad guy is rushing you, you shoot him square in the chest, the powder ball pops...and he runs through that 4 foot cloud and jabs his blade into you before the silly stuff has any effect, at all.:rolleyes:

You are totally right about feel good. But I think it's more about the guys looking for funding who plan on feeling good on the money they get from investors.:rofl:

16. dirt_19

dirt_19 Supporting Member

Frankly I have to agree with the idea that this is a ineffective feel good item . This "paintball gun" is not something you can keep at the ready for a emergency .

You can't load a 12 gram CO2 cartridge and rely on it to still have pressure hours later let alone days later for the gun to function (there is always a leak even if it can not be detected ).

Also in my experience with paintball the shells are biodegradable and will break down due to humidity . There are at least some that are permeable and will allow moisture in and out of the shell and in a humid environment the powder may may not stay in powder form . I have also seen seen balls bust or deform due to temperature change.

Now do I think this will take off no it's been tried before . A few walmarts here in indiana carried the http://prime-guard.com/ stuff and it sold like soiled diapers last I checked the Plainfield walmart still had 1 of the 3 pistols and 3 of the 3 "shotguns" they got in over a year ago so now everything is on clearance with a red tag . Funny thing is even on clearance the shotgun was still over $220 and setting right next to a H&R Partner protector 12ga priced at $179.00 ish

https://youtu.be/IqZuQz47sYY?t=2m28s

https://youtu.be/VgTjEndAqt4?t=6s

17. Kiln

Kiln Member

I have a Penguin tear gas pen (hey, it was cool!) and my wife has pepper spray. Guess what I'm going for if somebody comes in at 3AM?

It rhymes with bland nun.

18. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

The Colt Gas Pen's are cool also and can still be had for ~$50. They are a neat addition to a collection.

Attached Files:

19. rmuniz9336

rmuniz9336 Member

I've used mace and pepper spray on subjects with zero effect because they're so high or drunk they don't realize it. I've also had the stuff blow, splash, or when the guy you just sprayed decides to wrestle with you get on me at which time you're the one who's blinded. Great idea, BUT I'm not so sure I'd stake my life on it, especially when there's rounds made just for this type of situation it's supposed to help avoid.