Lets collect some $$ for Sarahsmom

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dane, Oct 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    so she can get her AR lower! Here is another chance for us to help a fellow member. She has never posted any details that I have read here, but it seems things are tight and that goal for her will be a ways off, if ever.

A guess of $125 as an amount to cover a stripped lower, fees, taxes and any tools needed to complete a build. Maybe a little left over for some ammo too! :) Any donations accepted toward this goal.

2. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    Does she already have some AR parts and is just lacking a lower, or does she need everything?

3. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    From her other postings and picture without providing us details, she only lacks a stripped lower and possibly tools to build it with. Picture shows a bag with probably the lower parts as the stock can be seen in it. She is not aware of this (until she may read this post of course) and probably will be embarrassed in some way. Sorry Sarahsmom, you are part of our community.

Here is a picture she posted. [​IMG]

4. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Find out what she needs and let us know.

5. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Wow, you guys! (yeah, I'm embarrassed) I have everything but the stripped lower and some of the tools. I have a punch set, but it isn't a roll punch set. Don't know if it is still possible to use that one or not. Needlenose I have. Need to get a cheap table clamp vise, and magwell block. And armorer's block?

6. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Ok, so stripped lower needed and some tools. What tools would you guys recommend as a minimum? One of the armorers' tools would make the butt stock install easier, but may not be needed. It can also be used on the upper though. The vise and block again would make it easier, but are they a must?
    Sarahsmom how skilled are you? If you watched some of the different build videos on utube and determine your confidence level. I saw a build video recently where the guy used vice grips to install roll pins in the lower instead of a punch. He made it look so easy and lessen chance of marking up the lower. Seemed like a good idea to me.
    I am sure our fellow members have tricks like that too.
    A local pickup of the lower may be a better solution than shipping it in. Either way sarahsmom you would need to be the one getting it for the FFL.

7. I don't want to sound like a di*ck but isn't an assembled Lower $125-150? not far from a regular stripped

Edit:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/catalog/product/view/id/1213/

Basically raise $200 and it would cover the shipping and tx fees as well for a plug and play option with what she has. Maybe even sell that LPK ETC and get some cash back

8. sarahsmom

I am looking forward to assembling the lower, and I do already have the LPK. Vise grips would be good, too.

9. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

10. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Nope, just helping a fellow member.

That is a good price. I wonder what shipping and FFL fee would add to that. The other problem is it has been posted of some issues with the pin hole on their lowers and a test fit was recommended.

She has provided her paypal we can donate to: paypal.me/TLJohnson

Here is her email: sarahsmom at centurylink.net

11. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Armorers block is nice but I just padded my upper and used a regular vice (tighten gently so you don't crush it!) to tighten the barrel nut.

12. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Her upper is assembled.
    I have used Anderson lowers on 20 builds and have not had any issues with them.
    A Clovis pin is a nice tool for the front detent and spring or a razor blade but its a little tougher The retaining pin for the bolt catch is a pain but it you put tape on the lower you will not scratch the lower, you can get a BOLT CATCH PIN PUNCH from Brownells that works nice but a hollow punch and regular punch work to if your care full.

13. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I used the shank of a drill bit for the front take down pin spring and detent. Put the spring in and use a needle nose to put the detent pin in. Hold it down as you slide the drill bit in until it hit the pin. Push the pin all the way down and slide the bit in further to hold it. Use the take down pin to push the drill bit back out(hold the drill bit so it takes pressure that keeps them face to face). Works well and I rarely lose the pin... although there is a detent pin somewhere in the living room... spring landed in my lap, pin bounced off the ceiling then hid!

14. sarahsmom

That would be my luck, lol!

15. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

The clevis pin is easy to place it in the left side line up the hole and drop in the spring and detent. Push down on the detent with punch and turn the clevis pin half way pull out punch and take the front pin and push smoothly through the hole pushing out the clevis pin. It all the is to it. You can buy a tool for it but its basically a clevis pin which is less than a dollar or pay $5 for the special AR tool.

Attached Files:

16. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I did not know "we were so close" :eek:

Mole's In :D

[​IMG]

17. lsi1

lsi1 Member

I have heard that working inside a gallon sized clear bag can prevent springs from taking flight but my giant shovel sized hands tend to prevent this as a possibility at least for me.

I'll go in for a few when we decide for sure what we're doing.

18. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    What we are doing is donating to sarahsmom. She only needs a stripped lower to build plus some tools, etc. It was suggested she can get a complete lower, that would be her choice if enough donations come in. She has expressed the desire to build the lower herself, so I am guessing that is the route she will go. Either way it needs an FFL, so she is the one to complete the transaction. Unless a member wants to donate a stripped or complete lower then shipping and FFL fee required. Tools and ammo is nice too.

19. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Sarahsmom, Is this the kind of punches you have?

[​IMG]

20. Roght. I suggested the complete only because I didn't know she desired to assemble one. I'm saving the cash to buy a completed because getting the tools seems like it would take longer. But if she already has the LPK I'm sure the tools will be easy enough to donate for. And the stripped lower is what? $40+ffl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.