Let's eat!!!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rachgier, May 9, 2015.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

**Warning - Pic heavy**

Well its chicken BBQ day down here at the FD. 800 halves, baked beans, mac salad, dinner roll, and 2 cookies for $8. 400+ dinners sold in 3 hours.

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      91.5 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      60.8 KB
      Views:
    • 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      91.4 KB
      Views:
    • 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      45.8 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      59.6 KB
      Views:
    • 024.jpg
      024.jpg
      File size:
      91.9 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      53.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Awesome!....

3. Back2School

Back2School Member

Looks great!

I myself am doing a pork butt for dinner, and I threw on some Boulevard wheat brats that were ready for lunch....

4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    You firefighters know how to put together a spread!

5. Rachgier

Just crossed the 600 mark.

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Let's see a pic of you with a leg quarter in your hand and taking a big bite out of it! :D

See "Big Bro" in his natural environment, doing his thing! :llama:

7. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

You guys do a spaghetti dinner in the fall?
    One local volunteer firefighter group does a chicken dinner in the spring/summer, and then spaghetti in the fall to help raise money for the department

8. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

That's awesome Rach. Hope you guys made a nice chuck of change for the station

9. sokemrobots

sokemrobots Member

droooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

10. Takes me back.

I've been to many a FD bbq when I lived in NYS. Seems like there was one somewhere nearby.

11. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Nice and I know how much work it is! I did a cater for 200 solo after my help went out and got drunk the night before and they had their heads in the porcelain throne... to make it worse the bun baker screwed up my order and did not have it ready so I had bread baking in the pit all morning...

People I was catering for made their kids help setup and tear down and run food to the serving line. With the fresh baked bread I got an extra $200 tip!

12. Rachgier

Unfortunately, I wasn't there to finish it off. Had a huge brush fire threatening a few dozen homes and the local high school. Brush truck fuel filter clogged on the way up a huge hill, it got ugly, but we made it. Got called in around 4pm and just got home 30 minutes ago. 7 hours with a rake, shovel, chainsaw, and an indian pack. All after running 10 hours in the pit, serving food, and taking pictures when I wasn't working. I managed to down 3 gatorades, a 1 liter bottle of water, and 2 dinner rolls. I haven't felt this good in years. I'm totally going to be paying for this with sore muscles tomorrow.

I'm really going to miss this stuff when I move.

EDIT: All told, we cleared $2,700 profit and sold 750 birds. My reward for going to the brush fire was a tray of 10 chickens and 3 takeaway containers full of beans, mac, and rolls. The department donated dinner to my old lady and kids because I volunteered to go on the call.

13. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    So what happens if there was a fire somewhere?

14. Rachgier

We have set engine crews. Our Apparatus are pulled out of the bays and parked along the curb. I was the duty driver for the Engine with a 5-man crew. The Squad had a 6-man crew, and we had 6-8 more guys and gals to cover the pit while we were gone.

The brush fire I did go to actually started much much earlier in the day when a train passing through ended up starting a half dozen small spot fires that combined in to one big 55 acre burn on a steep hillside. We were placed on standby while we were still cooking. By the time they had exhausted their resources to the point where they called us in, the BBQ had wound down to almost nothing. We were dead tired so the Chief asked for volunteers. Nobody raised their hand so I walked over to my locker, grabbed my gear, and threw it in the truck. The other firefighter who had been with me since 6:30 am to light the fires grabbed his gear, and away we went.

It's just like any other day we get a fire on the weekend, only we were already at the station.

15. Think1st

Florida
    Did the train's wheels throw sparks from the tracks? Is it common for them to start fires?

16. Rachgier

Yes, the train was coming down a hill in to a populated area where the speed limit is 40mph. The brakes tossed some sparks and started the fires. We're under Red Flag fire conditions in most of NY and there is a burn ban in effect for 5 more days. It's really dry with low humidity. There have been at least 3 brush fires a day for the past 3-4 weeks. There was a HUGE few hundred acre fire a few counties north that they called in the Air National Guard, State Police, and forestry choppers for aerial observation and water drops.

It's nothing compared to the scope of what they deal with out west, but for us its big work.

17. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Small brush fires can grow huge in no time flat. My place was surrounded by the Bastrop Complex Fire back in 2011, we had about 1,700 acres burned out.

18. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    It's been quite wet around here, but I was burning some papers with personal info
    in a barrel last weekend, and some sparks flew out... luckily we saw it in time and
    I got the hose after it, but the flames reached a wooden shed where I have some
    ammo stored :eek: Lucky for me, but I'd have been behind Plano Steve as #1
    Ammo Whore for sure, if that one had been torched. It went right for the ammo, too!

[​IMG]

19. Think1st

Florida
    Relative size of wild fires is nothing. A big fire is still a big fire. And some say that a pipeline is worse for the environment than the trains that carry the oil...

20. Wow Rach! Delicious spread! I would've come!!!!