Lets talk bullpup

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Kronos, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Oppulent Disparity Member

I'm curious. If someone were to make a bullpup stock that was decent, and not toyishly ugly, how many people would consider buying one?

I've always like bullpups myself. Im toying with the idea of either making a stock from scratch that would probably resemble a WA2000 or seeing if i could modify the ts stock, or possibly even a high quality airsoft shell (not a $30 Wally world toy). Keeping the oal legal may be hard with an already short barrel. Starting from scratch is often easier than modifying something. So i'm gonna start brainstorming.

Im open to ideas and style suggestions. AUG is high on my list already, i hate the Famas, and for the love of all humanity...please no p90 referrences.

2. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

Its been discussed before, Your looking at the cost of the gun almost for a quality stock, and will still have a stick mag sticking out the back...

3. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I would be very interested in a wood M1 carbine stock for any of HP Carbines?

4. cktvt

cktvt Member

I'm assuming your question pertains to a Hi Point bullpup conversion, similar to the SKS bullpup conversion kit. Am I catching your drift correctly or are you referring to a bullpup design from scratch? If it's the former, there was a thread on this forum back in 2011 titled Why no Bullpup design for Hi Point carbine? that might interest you.

For what it's worth, that new Israeli Tavor looks pretty well-designed.

5. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

Looked into this, contacted the Badger (Marlin 22 BullPup) mfg. and he was not interested in doing an HP it seems. It would require a large number of prepaid buyers, the tooling and production costs were like $100,000 alone. CAD Drawings and a design would be extra. I only got maybe 20 people interested, most said it would be a no-go unless a double stack mag was incorporated, and that is much more difficult due to the receiver width.
    Best way to execute this is a whole new receiver, which means HP does it or start with a different weapon.

7. aeroe

aeroe Member

Quite awesome, but very expensive. $1700 for the rifle, $750 for the conversion. That's if you're getting very good prices.

As for the M1, Citadel once mentioned they'd have a 9mm M1 carbine. Seems like vaporware.

8. Kronos

Honestly, I'm not sure if this would be a modified ts stock, or something from scratch. From scratch, similar to a wa2000 type setup i was thinking of a 10/22 would probably be easier. Now i know someones done that, ironwood designs. But i couldnt justify the cost.

Even if the prototype were made of wood, sheet metal, and box or round tubing, a mold could be made from there.

In regards to the anemic, low cap, stick mag...i actually have something in mind that should work better than any current offering...its a small drum around 25 rounds. BUT...that mag alone will run in the $130 range and probably wouldnt work on the 995, only the 40 and 45.

9. cktvt

cktvt Member

Yeah, Citadel will have that carbine on the market right about the time Kel Tec gets their RMR-30 22WMR carbine out. You're more likely to see Elvis than an RMR-30 (too bad too, that damn thing is intriguing).

10. cktvt

cktvt Member

Kronos said "In regards to the anemic, low cap, stick mag...i actually have something in mind that should work better than any current offering...its a small drum around 25 rounds. BUT...that mag alone will run in the $130 range and probably wouldnt work on the 995, only the 40 and 45."

I'm no gun expert but magazine design and mag reliability (or lack thereof) always seem to be the Achilles heel of semi-autos. And drums are particularly troublesome. The challenge is mondo-beyondo most people's ability.

11. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

Considering there is a whopping 1 other manufacture that is even making after market mags for the guns, you will find it is quite hard and expensive to get any one else to even consider such a project.

12. Kronos

The drum mag i'm speaking of is already designed. It was made back in the 80s. The Taylor Bingham drum mag was made specifically for the 1911 .45acp. From what i've come across, it is the best candidate for a hi-cap hp carbine mag. The few people i've come across with one dont seem to have much in the way of issues with them. They're just pricey.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  13. Can you make it work for a lefty too? :rolleyes:

14. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Lefty should be just as easy for a righty...
    Weld the single-stack tube in at the opposite angle!

15. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

I don't really see the point of buying a conversion kit for the Tavor. You could get 2 HP 9mm carbines or the Beretta carbine for that price. Maybe if they had a .22lr conversion, I might see that, but that's about it. Haven't come across anyone making a .22lr clone of the Tavor yet.

16. Kronos

I think he meant in a bullpup form. But youre probably being facetious, lol. But in regards to that question, in case anyone might be serious about that, the short answer is no. Getting the spent cases to eject from the left side would be some serious work.

I havent either. Other than a Marlin in an airsoft shell.