Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a question. My brothers girlfriend has a license to carry a handgun permit. She showed me the ID card and said its good in all states but MD where we live. I have been searching for information on exactly what I can get and what and where I can carry. Now her father in law bought her a gun and shortly after she had this permit and knows nothing about guns all she did was watch the required safety video for her gun. Can someone point me in the right direction on where to learn if I can get one if so how? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im new to collecting as of about a year ago and am still learning so thanks!

Rich

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hard to say, without knowing which state your in. Have a look here...
http://handgunlaw.us/
... and click on your state. It should like you to a site that will explain your states laws.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I'm interested to see what permit she has. I was unaware of a permit that was valid in 49 states. I thought the Missouri license that I carry was one of the better ones with 36 states honoring it. Most Missourians also pick up either Florida or Pennsylvania to get a few states that ours doesn't cover.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just found out that she did all the paperwork at a gun show and then sent it to Florida. Im gonna keep diggin. I just know in MD you cant get a permit to carry without giving a limb away.

·
Registered
256 Posts
"......she had this permit and knows nothing about guns all she did was watch the required safety video for her gun."

If I understand the post, this situation concerns me on several levels. No offense since I don't know this woman but she's got a license to carry everywhere but her home state and all the training she has is watching a video?!?!?!? Shoot, when I got my skydiving training I watched a video as well but for the first 7 jumps I was tethered to the instructor. Then another 7 jumps with instructor(s) monitoring my every move, and alongside me during freefall. The reality is that unless I landed, without the benefit of an open canopy, on the picnicking 'Smith' family it was considered "reckless endagerment".

Something doesn't seem to add up.

WR2

·
Registered
452 Posts
I could be wrong... but something not adding up to me either. 49 states out of 50, I just dont think so, someone show me. Utah is one of the better places and its only 36. Right off hand I can think of three states that will not honer and CC. Just example check Neveda, you can buy sex but NO CC.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
I could be wrong... but something not adding up to me either. 49 states out of 50, I just dont think so, someone show me. Utah is one of the better places and its only 36. Right off hand I can think of three states that will not honer and CC. Just example check Neveda, you can buy sex but NO CC.
utah is the best bang for your buck if you carry in multiple states over the whole country. for me i only carry in ND and SD so a SD permit works in both.

SW

·
Registered
974 Posts
I fully expect that in 6 months you are going to post that she got arrested for unlawful carry. Whatever she has, its not a "nearly universal" carry license. States are picky about permits from other states, and will be very selective about the criteria used in the issuing state. If all she did was watch a video, no state is going to honor that. The states that have the "Best coverage" have better requirements than that.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Nevada honors lots of states permits, if she has floridas permit, they will honor it. They honor my Utah and Florida permits (but not my North Dakota permit).

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
Nevada honors lots of states permits, if she has floridas permit, they will honor it. They honor my Utah and Florida permits (but not my North Dakota permit).
+1 here in AZ a lot of people also get the UT permit because NV honors it, but not the AZ permit. the AZ permit gets me 32 other states while the Utah permit would get me 5 more.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yea, somethign doesn't add up, because both Illinois and Wisconsin prohibit any form of concealed carry, and I know California, Maryland and New York cost you more than you first born to carry in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
*UPDATE*

Ok I figured it out. She has a Florida non-resident CC permit which is good in 29 other states considering recipricocity laws. From what I have read there are two states that do this Virgina and Florida (offer non-resident ccpermits). The company is perosnal defense solutions, it was apparently at a gun show where it was offered. She took a course right there paid the money and received her permit which is unacceptable to me considering she bought the first gun that she ever touched in her life a the same show. So all in all she went to the show, bought her first gun and got a permit to carry in 29 states all in a couple hours. A little scary considering shes never fired a gun before. I personally considering going up to PA where the offer the full course at an actual range with an instructor to get the permit, its in late February. I hope this answers soe questions and thanks for everyones input here!

Rich

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
From what I've read here, her certification is not valid. Unless they interpret "competency with a firearm" as the ability to purchase one and knowing what end points where. Then she would have needed to mail that certificate of training along with a passport photo and completed application form to Florida for processing. There's no way she could have gotten a permit to carry the same day.

What are the qualifications to be eligible to be issued a Florida CCW Permit?
• You must be a citizen of the United States OR you must be deemed a lawful permanent
resident alien by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS formerly INS).
• You must be 21 years of age or older.
You must be able to demonstrate competency with a firearm.
• You must be a non-felon.
You must take a recognized Firearm Safety Class given by an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
and get a Certificate of Completion with the instructor's signature and NRA
Certification Number on it, OR furnish proof of being Active Military or Honorably Discharged
Military (e.g., furnish a DD-214).

G

·
I am with cdbillups on this: I had to actually qualify to gain my CCW permit.
The fact that she bought something (both the gun and "Permit") at the same times smells to me...
First and formost from me: is the safety aspect, for her own self: she does not know how to handle a pistol, or any firearm, aside from what she had seen in movies, or Youtube clips.....
There is ALOT more to it than that. Proper safety measures when shooting (just shooting, mind you) not to mention when a CCW situation comes to play: Can she actually draw and shoot at close ranges?
I will be the "Safety Beeyotch" here: Safety, Safety, Safety!!!!!!! NEVER FORGET SAFETY!

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
*UPDATE*

Ok I figured it out. She has a Florida non-resident CC permit which is good in 29 other states considering recipricocity laws. From what I have read there are two states that do this Virgina and Florida (offer non-resident ccpermits). The company is perosnal defense solutions, it was apparently at a gun show where it was offered. She took a course right there paid the money and received her permit which is unacceptable to me considering she bought the first gun that she ever touched in her life a the same show. So all in all she went to the show, bought her first gun and got a permit to carry in 29 states all in a couple hours. A little scary considering shes never fired a gun before. I personally considering going up to PA where the offer the full course at an actual range with an instructor to get the permit, its in late February. I hope this answers soe questions and thanks for everyones input here!

Rich
AZ and Utah also do non-resident permits

1 - 20 of 37 Posts