Light Article by a Liberal, Gun Owning Writer

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by undeRGRound, Nov 25, 2015.

1. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
  2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Is this stereotype just required in the lefty camp?

"If you want to carry a gun, you want to justify carrying the gun. You have a better justification if you convince yourself that crime is out of control. So the desire to carry a gun precedes the fear of crime.

The people who buy most of the guns are middle-aged white men who have not finished college. That demographic has been particularly screwed in this society in the past 30 years. They are losing ground economically, they are losing ground culturally, but in this country, to talk about your circumstances as part of a class is forbidden. So these guys have no vocabulary for discussing what has happened to them. All they know is, they're pissed.

The only people giving them a voice is the NRA, who comes along whispering in their ears, "The liberals want to take away your guns." The gun is the one thing that makes these guys feel vital and useful and powerful and capable. They're managing these incredibly dangerous weapons, not hurting anybody, maybe they're wearing a gun and keeping people around them safe. They get a lot of pride and a lot of self-esteem from having these guns. This is not crazy, and this is not pitiable -- this is real."

So...he just called us all downwardly mobile rednecks, and angry old white guys.:rolleyes:

I just want to mention, SWAGA, I have noticed and appreciate your non-use of that term. Thanks for that.:p

The other thing...do we really get much pride and self esteem from something we can just... buy? Not only can we buy them...but they are really pretty cheap, compared to the stereotypical left winger status symbols, like a Prius, or a fully grid-free house...or a trip across "gun country" to find our "tribe".:rolleyes:

3. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

A very good article. Someone open minded enough to say "I don't know" to a couple of things. I found that very refreshing. Instead of already knowing everything, the guy admits he doesn't know some things. I think it's people like that who are able to find solutions to problems, and are able to change their mind when appropriate.
    I guess I am the middle aged non college graduate white guy they speak of, but I don't know that a firearm has anything to do with my self esteem. I enjoy them, and think some are just beautiful works of art. Most are just tools of sorts. It also seems to me that the gun owners I know are generally more independent and "doers" of things. For example, when a tornado comes thru, they get out chainsaws and start clearing trees. They don't wait for "someone to do something". They do it themselves and help their neighbors, friends and relatives when needed, and don't charge anything for doing it. They also believe that protecting their families is their responsibility, not someone else's.

4. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

As he totally ignored the fastest growing segment of the gun community, women!

5. Yup, I had trouble with this part.
    And I'm not sure where he's getting the pride and self-esteem part. If that's what they do for HIM, great, more power to him. But the only pride I get from my guns is that I learned how to use them, and am constantly learning new things. The mere fact that I walked into a gun shop and bought one is not enough to make me feel pride. This is my right, same as carrying. I do not feel pride for something I am already entitled to. Makes me happy, yes, but not proud. Same with self-esteem. He's pretty much recycling the penis envy argument and putting it back out there; "you're missing something, so you need to get this to feel like you have it." That's BS. The reason I bought a firearm in the first place was my own confidence; it was something I was curious about, and I was confident I could own one responsibly and safely, so I did it.
    Plus, I'd like him to speak to my wife; a Balkan woman in her twenties with two Bachelors and two Masters who loves to shoot. Pride and self-esteem? Sorry, but his math doesn't add up.

6. lsi1

lsi1 Member

I read his book when it first came out rather entertaining read.

7. undeRGRound

INDY
    HUGE Point, yes he missed it.
    But the article was about "Gun Guys"...
    Should "AT LEAST" have a parenthetical (& Girls!)

Thing is, those "lefty status symbols" are really not that at all, that is just clever marketing to get those free-flowing dollars out of their hands and into the market place to make the technology cheaper :D Electric (& hybrid) cars are the wave of the future, and off-grid tech is even more attractive to the prepper-type folks, and for the right reasons. I'm not a lefty at all and I am working towards the same goals as these "status symbols" but with a clearer head and eyes :D

Next evolution for a hybrid car should be a micro-turbo diesel spinning a high RPM high voltage generator feeding a capacitor/battery bank. ;)
    No engine connection to the wheels at all, just electric! :eek:

8. lsi1

lsi1 Member

he's liberal gender is no longer specific. guys and girls are simply ways for old white guys to label people.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The Europeans have had 75 mpg diesels for many years, and my favorite hybrid is the McClaren P1...900+ hp, 28 mpg, over a million bucks.:D

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  10. undeRGRound

INDY
    Could be right, Lisa... that did not occur to me! :D

11. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

Since the article is from March 2013, evidently no liberal has read it.

12. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I agree with you..... I think people like him project their feelings of inadequacy onto everyone else, thinking they must feel the same as them.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yeah that's the impression I got when I read it back in 2013.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

14. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Guns are tools to me, no more. No different than the laser engraver, the woodworking stuff... am I glad I have it? Yup guns put food on the table the other puts a little extra cash in my pocket!