Light duty BOB?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by JMcDonald, Apr 10, 2008.

1. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Member

I know that planning on a "light duty" anything is not wise, but my tactical vest is going to be my "Gotta B.O. RIGHT NOW B." This is essentially for my GF and I to get from my house to most likely one of my relatives out in the boonies, where there are plenty of guns and generators, heh. This is counting on the possibility that we might get stuck / stopped somewhere along the way (and have to stay in the car) or, in the worst case, actually have to go on foot for some time. We would most likely be taking our weapons with us. She has a HP 995 carbine, and Ill have one in the next week or so when my local dealer gets another one. But, the "go on foot" part is the main reason why I don't want to count on having a big bag.

Right now, here is what it in it:

11" Zip Ties (should I even bother with these)?
    60yd roll of Duct Tape
    24" x 48" Towel.
    ~3.75" blade full-tang knife (strapped to the chest).
    A couple hundred rounds of 9mm ammo.
    Flashlight (with extra batteries).
    Two ponchos.
    One of those space blankets (~7x5').
    Small multitool.

Here are what I am working on putting into it:
    Lighter:
    Flint striker.
    Small bottle of rubbing alcohol.
    Small supply of slow-perishing food (granola bars, etc).
    Large-ish (~1gal) bottle of water.
    50-100' of simple rope.
    Compass.
    Socks.
    Plastic bags.
    Water Purification Tablets.

One last possibility is a better blanker and a tarp with enough accessories to make a make-shift tent.

A Few Explanations:
    The zip ties seem like they would be useful for everything from strapping on additional gear in a hurry, to especially setting up a tent around some trees or whatever. The duct tape is overall more useful I think, and doubles as a tight wrap for an injury (very crude, but since pressure is what stops bleeding, this should be able to do the job).

The striker would serve as a backup (or replacement) for a normal lighter. I am not sure if, for the lighter, Id want a few cheap ones or a nice refillable one.

The rubbing alcohol would obviously be useful for wounds, but unlike peroxide is flammable so could be used in an emergency for fire.

My vest has a large rear pouch for a camel pack, which is about 14" tall and probably 5" in diameter. I figure a bottle would be better because it could more easily be removed, filled, or despensed.

Everything else is pretty obvious. I am 6' and 145lbs, and she is 5' and 100lbs. I ride my bike an average of ~5 miles a day (to and from school, and can beat my roommate there when he drives, heh), with about 15lbs on my back and don't really have a problem with it. I figure the vest shouldn't weigh more than 30lbs with the water which won't be too bad. I am also going to put together a small bag for her which will hold whatever I can't (probably some food, the rope, and more of the same essentials like a flashlight, lighter, maybe tarp w/ accessories, and maybe another towel and blanket), which I will try to keep around or under 10lbs.

As far as a "real" BOB, I am also putting one of those together, but threads about "full-sized" BOBs are more common so I intend on just following what has been said before (with a tent, better blankets, more clothes, . But small yet still unspecialized ones seem less talked about, which is why I ask.

So, what am I missing? What do I have wrong? Also, assume we will have our cell phones. The biggest thing I know is missing is the SHELTER part, but for a true emergency where we might even have to run or fight (say we get stuck in backed-up traffic, and rioting starts) we woldnt have time to haul out a big bag. But at least at the worst we could chill under a tree with our ponchos and blanket (and tarp, like I said) and rest for a while.

Thanks everyone.

2. First and foremost, could you post some pics of your gear so that we may have an idea of what you are working with?

Now some questions:

1. How far will you have to travel to reach your destination? (the boonies can be quite a long way away :wink: )

2. What is the terrain like through which you will travel?

3. What is the climate like where you live?

4. You made note of your fitness level, what about your girlfriend?

5. How many mags does your girlfriend have for her 995?

6. Will she have mag pouches on a belt, or will she have a vest as well?

7. Is she using the factory iron sights, or an after market scope (red-dot, holo, etc.)?

Personally, I would lose the zip-ties. If you happen to lash a piece of gear you need RIGHT NOW with a zip-tie, well, now you have to get your knife out, cut the tie (and hopefully not yourself), put your knife away, etc...Velcro would be a better option.

You can use lengths of rope to secure your tarp for a shelter. You might consider about 50' of para cord.

You could probably get by with a small/medium sized roll of Duct Tape (minor gear repairs, etc.) until you reach your destination. (weight/space savings)

A good camp towel for each of you should be plenty. (weight and space savings)

Both of you should have the following, IMO:

Space blanket
    Multitool
    Flashlight with spare batteries
    Fire starter (besides lighters...I use http://www.rei.com/product/407152
    which can be picked up at most camping stores/camping sections). The are lightweight, and last just about forever.
    Two way radios (just in case)
    Small am/fm/weather radio (depending how far you have to go).

As far as the hydration pouch on your vest: try wearing it with a full hydration bladder, then with a full water bottle. IMO, the hydration bladder would be more comfortable for long treks, as it is squishy, compared to the rigidity of the water bottle.

Your weapon systems: Hi-Point 995s

If you are using after market scopes, as mentioned in question 7 above, make sure to have extra batteries for them, just in case.

That's all I have at the moment. Guaranteed others will chime in with even more info. That's what I love about this forum. So much information it'll make your head spin. :p

Take care

.40cal

3. Few thoughts:
    As far as a lighter unless you are a smoker or use a lighter daily most of the refillable ones (read zippo) don't tend to hold fuel long. You constantly have to refuel them. Many people just grab a couple of bic lighter and use those. A zip tie underneath the button keeps it from leaking.
    You are going to look very tactical with the vest loaded with gear and each of you with a carbine slung over your back. This may make you a target for others who are lacking supplies. Just something to consider.
    2nd the recomendation on paracord instead of simple rope. It can do anything that simple rope can do, but not vice versa. Plus the benefits of the interior strings for fishing line, thread, etc.
    As for the zip ties I keep some in my bags because with zip ties, duct tape, and paracord there isn't much I can't fix, plus they take up almost no room.
    Add a bandana, they work great for several things, pre filter to remove large sediment, with duct tape improvised bandage, a wash cloth, and even an arm sling along with a bunch of other things. Again they also take up almost zero room.

4. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Member

Ill take pics in a few hours when I get home. I am about to leave.

Hmm. My "destination" is really like 40 miles by highway, maybe 30 by land. If we got stuck in town, I probably wouldnt go for that place. My mom / stepdad live on one side of town, and my dad / stepmom live on the other. If I got stuck in town (which is most likely where I'd get stuck, rather than on the highway getting out), Id try to hike the few miles it would be to get to my dad's since his house is probably one of the most secure in the entire city (two story house owned by a guy who works in a prison and is perhaps even more paranoid that me). These in-town hikes would be through semi-populated areas (few businesses / shopping centers on the way, but several housing editions / apartment complexes past where Id most likely go). If I got stuck further out "in the boonies," then we might even have to wing it a few days out there until we got somewhere we wanted to be.

Mostly wooded or plains, with minor hills (Central Oklahoma).

Very Temperate. Summer: Highs easily over 100, nights in the 70s. Winter: average highs 30, lows 10-15. Depending on the time of year, I would adjust accordingly. Though I am not as worried in the winter time. Almost every case of bad people behavior happened when it wasn't too cold outside. For instance, this winter storm we had back in December that killed power for like a week in some places, if something like this had happened in the summer we would have had bigger problems, IMO.

Right now, she is thin but not "in shape." We do work out, though, and she is getting better. She can carry her laptop bag and purse which together probably weigh about 8lbs with no problem, so 10lbs strapped comfortably to her back should be OK.
    We don’t have any extras right now, but we are either going to buy two 15round mags (at least, that’s what my dealer says he has) or two extra 10round mags for each of us.

I am trying to decide what would be best for her. I don’t know if there are too many vests small enough to fit her. But, if nothing else she’ll have a pack and keep them in one of the side pickets. But a vest for her would be ideal because it spreads the weight around your torso so it isn’t as hard on the shoulders and back.

She is very unlikely to get something that takes batteres. Probably a simple scope or other system that allows for relatively precise aiming. Depending on how much I like hers, I might get one myself. She is better at precision shots than I am, but so far I am better at putting more shots in a head-sized area (just for reference, I didn’t specifically practice that, heh) in a shorter amount of time. However, we are each working on getting better at the other thing.

Hmm, OK. If I need more room for something Ill lose the ties.

Hmm I might invest in that. Back when I used to be into the whole street-racing / cruising thing we used to all carry around walkie talkies…. Yes like The Fast and the Furious… hah.

Actually, that’s a great point. I will probably buy the water bottle first since they are cheap (and more universal) and try that out. I think if I could get one the right size (about 4†x 16†would be good) then it wont put such an odd strain on the pack and thus my back. Otherwise Ill get a camel pack.

I think I might try that. Grab a few of those for emergency use, but otherwise use the flint lighters to conserve the fueled ones.

That is a very good concern. I never trusted people much so I will definately do my best to keep us in the shadows.

Hmm. I will try to find some then!

Sounds good!

5. As far as the rubbing alcohol goes, it is Not good for cleaning wounds, it can cause greater infection because it kills the good cells that are trying to kill the bad ones. Simple soap and water work the best, you can buy antiseptic soap which will work good. I'd replace the alcohol with some antiseptic soap and either charcoal lighter fluid or regular lighter fluid. Alcohol evaporates and burns too fast to start a decent fire.

6. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Member

What about a hand senitizer that won't require water? Also, what about peroxide?

As far as fires, that is probably a good point. I might try using those cotton balls with vaseline or something like that. But I am about to go buy some more supplies today and practice a bit with them to see what works (like what the flint can light, etc).

7. Hand sanitizer works great for starting a fire. Just be sure you get the kind that has a high alchohol content. Burns very hot and a small puddle will burn enough to get some small twigs and such burning.

8. Hand sanitizer is the same as rubbing alcohol. It has a high alcohol content and will therefore do more damage than good. I still think the best thing would be just a bar or two of antiseptic soap. It's light weight and one bar will last a whole lot longer than than even a standard size bottle of hand sanitizer. Plus it's smaller than the bottle. There are also additives in the sanitizer such as fragrance and emollients (lotion type stuff). Extensive use of any alcohol product will cause chronic dermatitis (itchy, dry skin). With antiseptic soap you can use any water and the soap will kill the germs in the water.

Peroxide does the same as alcohol but not as extensively. It will kill the good, the bad, and the ugly in a wound, do NOT use it in a deep or puncture type wound. To get enough to be able to use you would have to have a fairly large bottle. It's only a single use item too, it's only good for cleaning wounds.

As for the cotton balls with vasoline, that would make a mess. Just get dryer lint, it burns great and not as fast as cotton. you don't have to soak it in anything unless you want to. You can crush a lot of it down into any shape, put it in a plastic bag to store/carry. Then, fluff it a little bit put it under some fodder and light it, it will burn long enough to start a really nice fire. It's also free and readily available. Because it's not all cotton it will burn hotter and longer than cotton balls, and its more malleable than cotton balls with vasoline all over them. Charcoal starter fluid will also help to dry out your wood/fodder as the fire is starting, it will burn and heat up the wood enough to dry it out.

This is just MHO based on previous experience, and a little common sense.

Conclusion: 1-2 Bars of antiseptic soap
    1-2 Quart sized bags of dryer lint, crushed for easy storage
    Maybe a bottle of Charcoal starter, if you want it.

9. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Member

Ah, a man who knows where his towel is.....

I would suggest either the hydration bladder and/or smaller bottles of water. With smaller bottles if one gets a leak you still have drinking water.

I agree lose the rubbing alcohol. Either put in something you can drink, or go with the hand sanitizer. I try to keep several airline bottles of something (whatever was on sale) in my bag. When you've been out all day and the ground is hard and uncomfortable, a quarter to a half shot (one shot bottles) takes the edge off and lets you get to sleep without the kind of imparement that can cause problems. Just make sure your camp is made and safe before imbibing. The small bottles are also good trading stock if you meet others and need something they have.

The Duck tape will do anything the zip ties will do and is easier to use and remove. 550 cord is also very usefull and makes great boot laces so that you always have some with you.

I didn't notice any way to cook or boil water. A pot, cups and spoons would be a good light addition that other items can be stored in. Also a small first aid kit, not a full trauma kit just a bandaid box with bandaids (go figure), pain killer, antibiotic cream, superglue, several 4x4s, and gloves. You have duck tape to close wounds or hold on bandaging as you noted.

10. Never thought of super glue. That stuff was designed by the military as a field dressing for cuts and scrapes. Burns for a few seconds, but then it create a watertight seal that keeps out germs and dirt.

11. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Member

Ok. Today, I bought a small backpack and a small fanny pack for my GF. I also bought most of the rest of my intended supplies. As of now I have far more room between the two of us than I really have a use for with what I have now, so I might add some extra things (like a small tarp, maybe some kind of cooking utinsels, some alcohol for burning, etc).

Here is a pic with her 995 and my Zombie Survival Guide :wink: .
    [​IMG]

What I added:
    Another (identical mini 9LED, 3xAAA) flashlight for her.
    A soap-bar-sized bottle of concentrated camping soap.
    A red-dot sight for the 995 (just put it on).
    300lb working load 1/4" x 100ft rope.
    Another space blanket.
    A whistle / compass / magnifying glass / thermometer combo.
    A flint lighter.

In her pack is the rope, the soap, a space blanket, a poncho. In her pouch is the flashlight, the pepper spray, a black sharpie, a knife, and will also hold her clips. My pack has everything else, and still has quite a bit of room. I am going to put some of my spare batteries in her pouch (or just get more), and also a spare RedDot battery.

Really all we need from my list that I can remember right now is a water bottle (couldn't find anything today at the few stores I went to), a small radio, and some type of communication devices. I will probably also buy another whistle / compass combo thing so if we get separated finding eachother and navigating will be easier.

Oh, I also bought a tent. It is the smallest, cheapest one they had ($25, and 8' x 9' for 3-4 people). Its bag is square and about 6" x 6" x 24", so its plenty small for anything slower than "we've gotta run now."

12. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

OK a 995 is ok BUT if you're trying to walk around without too much notice I would recomend a hand gun as it is easier to conceal. If this is a true all out TEOTEAWKI I can see the 995

13. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Member

Im not 21 so I can't legally own a handgun.

Also, some things I will add:
    Several small bottles instead of one large one (good idea).
    Some type of metal cup or pot, and spoons.
    Communication devices.
    Another compass / whistle / mag glass / thermo thing for her.
    Pain medication
    Bandaids
    I don't know what I could buy that could have the same affect as alcohol...
    Superglue (I thought of this before, just forgot).
    Some lint in a bag!

Will probably also take out the zip ties since they are a little annoying.

14. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

You're covered,
    makeshift shelter, food stuffs, water, compass and maps, fire starters, meds, first aid, and a firearm... so you have already chosen to use nature's TP?

15. Check out the thread on the can stove. It runs off of ethyl alcohol and it would be easy to quickly boil some water with, plus it would be super easy to start a fire and then remove it with some tongs after the fire has gotten started. I'm absolutely making one, even if it's just to play around with. With this you can pack some ethyl alcohol for fires and cooking, just don't use it to clean your wounds.

Don't forget the neosporen plus pain reliever.

16. That could be considered a GROSS oversight... :p

Heck, I can't believe I forgot about that. :oops: I usually take at least 2 of the prepackaged camping rolls on day hikes.

17. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I believe the first few hours would be excellent, but you would be quite upset and angry at yourself for the remainder of bugging out.

18. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Member

For what, specifically?

Oh, and I just added some dryer lint, heh.

And yeah, definately need a roll of TP!

19. There are things in this world that I can live without even thinking about.... But TP is NOT one of those things.

20. Dryer lint is the absolute best for starting fires. Try it the next time you go camping, or just burn a little in your grill or on the driveway or something. I just can't get over how great it works. Because it's a mixture of materials it burns a lot longer and more consistently than plain cotton. I have started numerous fires in my outdoor fireplace using this stuff. Oh, and it's readily available, and FREE!