Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys,

just wanted to share this with you. The other day a wanted to build a very lightweight AR for general purposes I could take camping or backpacking into the wild here in florida. We dont have big grizzly bears but we do have panthers and alligator, so this is something i put together from parts i already had except the upper. I went with a No Forward assist No dust cover because I wanted to try one myself.

Let me know your thoughts

Project Black Feather
Faxon 10.5 Pencil barrel (super lightweight)
Aero Precision Nickel boron bcg
Spikes Tactical/Anderson Slick Upper, No forward assist or dust cover.
Faxon .625 gas port
Standard BCG
Aim Sport Gen2 keymod handguard (super lightweight
Standard lower
Magpul MOE-K pistol grip (lightweight)
Magpul BTR Brace
Magpul 20 rounds mag to cut on the ammo weight

ETA: for optics I’m thinking the new Primary Arms SLx 3x Prism scope.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Gas

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
36,700 Posts
Looks nice!👍

I have the 2.5x PA ACSS prism, LOVE it. Most of the time I just use it without turning on power.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,012 Posts
Honestly get the dust cover. No cover is fie on a range toy. In the field coer that bitch up. Assist you dont really absolutely need. Cover yes.

·
Premium Member
22,082 Posts
Grainy ass Florida sand.............that crap gets every where.

Reactions: adam01364

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly get the dust cover. No cover is fie on a range toy. In the field coer that bitch up. Assist you dont really absolutely need. Cover yes.
I hear you, i was deviating whether or not get one but i went without it because i was already without the forward assist so might as well try both. All my other AR have FA/DC so this is a fun little project.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here comes the Mole. @undeRGRound had a few ultralight builds he'll be happy to swap details about.
This comes completely in contrast to the one i build for my friend, 18" heavy barrel, full length 16” quad Rail, A2 stock with a Sig Scope and bipod. that thing is like 10-12lb but that’s what he wanted
Machine gun Air gun Sunglasses Goggles Hat

·
Premium Member
22,082 Posts

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,771 Posts
Here comes the Mole. @undeRGRound had a few ultralight builds he'll be happy to swap details about.
Lemme see, I designated all the lightweight magnesium lowers I got, (Mag Tac) as pistols. Those were all around 6 oz. Then I got an old S&W M&P 15 upper receiver from Klawson, which was fit with an Aero 14.5" pencil barrel. I then stalled out on the "pinned and welded" process, I was researching that, it seems the pinning is just to save the barrel, if you want a removable muzzle device. But I really should.
I am saving 3+ oz on the lower, 2+ on the semi-slick upper (it has a shell deflector and I think dust cover) and if I choose to tune the gas system, I can run a super light buffer and bcg. The bcg is not yet in my possession, nor an adjustable gas block. My home made M4 style adjustable stock is within 1 oz of an MFT MINIMALIST Stock, which I love the looks of... prolly get one of those too.

·
Super Moderator
25,927 Posts
This comes completely in contrast to the one i build for my friend, 18" heavy barrel, full length 16” quad Rail, A2 stock with a Sig Scope and bipod. that thing is like 10-12lb but that’s what he wanted
20" stainless, fluted, HBAR chambered in .223wylde.
15" ultralight keymod handguard.
A2 stock
3-9×40mm Nikko Sterling Panamax.
I took the 4" rail and bipod off because they were always destined for the SR25 build.
9lbs 13oz as it sits.
Window Wood Textile Curtain Interior design

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,771 Posts
20" stainless, fluted, HBAR.
A2 stock
3-9×40mm Nikko Sterling Panamax.
I took the 4" rail and bipod off because they were always destined for the SR25 build.
9lbs 13oz as it sits.
View attachment 75335
Project HEAVY METAL

that one is 556, right?

I know you had a similar 762x51 build.

·
Super Moderator
25,927 Posts
24" BA Premium Series stainless, fluted bull barrel chambered in .308WIN
A2 stock
4" keymod rail w/ sling mount bipod adapter and 5-9" pivoting bipod.
5-20×44 Bushnell Nitro Deploy MOA SFP

12lbs 14.5oz
Sports equipment Motor vehicle Wood Trigger Shotgun

·
Super Moderator
25,927 Posts
@undeRGRound yes. The Brothers Grimm, AKA Big Bro and Little Bro in .308WIN and .223 wylde. The IO AK Sporter is "The Bastard" because I like full size, "modern" military style rifles and the AK is kind of the red headed step-child of the bunch...

@556 as you can see I tend to go full size and weight on my AR/SR type rifles. Nothing wrong with going lightweight, and I did shave weight where I could to balance them out closer to the mag well.

I'm considering a LuthAR MBA-1 with the -3 kit installed for the 3-axis butt plate and bottom rail with a monopod. Only considering though because of the additional weight and I don't really need all that extra adjustability creating more failure points.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Nice, OP. What buffer are you running? When I built my daughter's 27" pencil bbl, I had to dump all the buffer weights, & run a lightweight carrier to get it to cycle on rifle + 3" gas. W/ a Hera thumbhole and an epoxy lower, even w/ the 3-9X optic it's under 8 lbs.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,771 Posts
Nice, OP. What buffer are you running? When I built my daughter's 27" pencil bbl, I had to dump all the buffer weights, & run a lightweight carrier to get it to cycle on rifle + 3" gas. W/ a Hera thumbhole and an epoxy lower, even w/ the 3-9X optic it's under 8 lbs.
Never seen a 27" barrel in 5.56, let alone a slim version.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Took a 27" Green Mountain 1:9" twist blank, sent it to Paladin Machine in SC w/ a bbl extension & my specs, and got back an honest to god 27" pencil. It shoots to the same point of aim at 50 yds w/ or w/o a Chassepot bayonet.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts