Loaded or not?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by bluharley, Sep 26, 2014.

1. bluharley

bluharley Member

Watched a cops show the other day, and a cop picked up a bad guys gun, popped the mag, the mag was loaded, and he called the gun loaded (I think), but it made me wonder, is a gun with an empty chamber but loaded mag considered "loaded", or does there need to be one in the chamber?

2. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Personally I don't consider them truly ready unless one is in the chamber. Anything less and you have to take some action to make them ready.

(Of course that goes against what I teach the young ones, that being that ALL firearms are loaded)

3. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I think it depends on the state, or even the city.

What PA Considers
    A Loaded Firearm
    18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6102
    Definitions
    "Loaded."
    A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in
    the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in
    said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the
    firearm.
    If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device
    shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Since Vermont has no laws requiring an unloaded handgun, long guns in cars will have to do.

"A person shall not carry or possess while in or on a vehicle propelled by mechanical power or drawn by a vehicle propelled by mechanical power within the right of way of a public highway a rifle or shotgun containing a loaded cartridge or shell in the chamber, mechanism, or in a magazine, or clip within a rifle or shotgun, or a muzzle-loading rifle or shotgun that has been charged with powder and projectile and the ignition system of which has been enabled by having an affixed or attached percussion cap, primer, battery, or priming powder"

5. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    If it has ammo in the mag, cylinder, or tube, it's loaded - that's my .02. I have no idea what IL considers a "loaded" firearm.

6. bluharley

bluharley Member

Florida:
    A person who stores or leaves, on a premise under his or her control, a loaded firearm, as defined in s. 790.001,

Well, there is nothing in 790.001 that says anything about what a loaded firearm is. Leave it to the lawyers.

7. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Illinois probably considers it loaded it there is ammo within 100 ft of the gun. Even if the gun is locked in a case, and teh ammo is locked in a separate case.

8. colthrash

colthrash Member

Nevada says one in the chamber to be considered loaded. loaded handguns in vehicles is permitted, rifles and shotguns cannot be loaded while transporting.

9. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

California, if I am in San Diego, and the ammo is in San Francisco, its loaded and a threat

10. cope

cope Member

IL makes it very clear what their definition of loaded is......

the magazine can have rounds, and the loaded magazine can be stored in the same case or compartment with the firearm, but any rounds (or loaded magazine) making contact or within the frame of the firearm is a loaded weapon

so technically if you have loose rounds in your case that are touching the firearm its loaded.......... but for the most part common sense applies (I know, amazing that IL has any common sense right?)

11. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

So in NY if there is ammo anywhere in the state all firearms in the state are loaded

12. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I am well aware of their restrictions on "transporting" firearms. My comment was strictly TIC generalization, and what I consider a loaded firearm. Which is just my .02 and means zilch.

13. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

In Missouri you can possess a loaded firearm in your vehicle (without permit). It can be either concealed or not concealed.

14. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    Not counting "official" definitions, to me, one in the chamber is loaded.
    Be it 1 in the chamber and no mag, or full mag inserted.

NC law does not define loaded or unloaded

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    A gun is loaded when it has every feature available for the model.;)

16. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Well, you certainly don't want to unload your weapon like this dolt.......

Cops: Man said he fired bullet into neighbor's home because it was his only way to unload gun

Published September 27, 2014 * Associated Press

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/2...oxnews/national+(Internal+-+US+Latest+-+Text)

17. Branth

Branth Member