Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

· Registered
Everything I can get my hands on!
451 Posts
The 27gn green tip ammo will penetrate level lll body armor. It's very difficult to try and duplicate that performance with hand loads at safe pressure. I'm playing with solid copper bullets from Ft.Scott and a couple others but the known powders are not pushing them fast enough with safe pressure to do the job. The TUI ( tumble on impact) design is interesting.
For self defense I look at Lehigh defense or cutting edge bullets.

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
For self defense I look at Lehigh defense or cutting edge bullets.
I imagine that the 32 and 45 gr. offerings might be appropriate but I didn't see load data for those so it would all be experimental. And 5.7x28 is finicky enough that I'm not sure how much I'd want to experiment.

Maybe there's load data for 'em somewhere.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Registered
451 Posts
I imagine that the 32 and 45 gr. offerings might be appropriate but I didn't see load data for those so it would all be experimental. And 5.7x28 is finicky enough that I'm not sure how much I'd want to experiment.

Maybe there's load data for 'em somewhere.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Have you looked at Load Data.com?

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

· Opinionated
16 Posts
After reading this thread I'm leaving this forum, some of you talk about piercing body armor, varmints don't wear body armor and most of you old bastards will never be in a shit hits the fan situation and survive let alone have the balls or physical condition to survive. Adios, Nick

· Premium Member
25,811 Posts
After reading this thread I'm leaving this forum, some of you talk about piercing body armor, varmints don't wear body armor and most of you old bastards will never be in a shit hits the fan situation and survive let alone have the balls or physical condition to survive. Adios, Nick
Who are you calling old? If you were buying rifles off the wall in Springs back in '66, that means you're in your mid 70's give or take.

I would LOVE to see you ruck up and play fuck fuck games if you're in such good physical condition.

· King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,762 Posts
Thank you great billy bad ass. PS absolutely no one here even knew you were here.

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
After reading this thread I'm leaving this forum,
No offense, but I didn't know you were here. Doesn't look like you participated much.

some of you talk about piercing body armor
and?

varmints don't wear body armor
Are you sure, Elmer? Who knows what that wascally wabbit will do next!

and most of you old bastards will never be in a shit hits the fan situation and survive let alone have the balls or physical condition to survive
and?

Adios, Nick
<insert something about a door and a backside here>

· King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,762 Posts
Who are you calling old? If you were buying rifles off the wall in Springs back in '66, that means you're in your mid 70's give or take.

I would LOVE to see you ruck up and play fuck fuck games if you're in such good physical condition.
He was 78 in 2020. So at 80 he is probably suffering from dementia of some sort. Woke this morning thinking he was still an MP wanting to bust some heads. He'll come back down to earth in a few days or the home will take away his internet privileges again.

· Registered
25 Posts
Door/Ass, you know the drill Nick!!!!

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
When I get around to buying reloading gear for this, I'm leaning toward Hornady, I'm planning on buying the Lee Case Length Gauge & Shell Holder set* because I've got the Lee cutting stud and have been using that system successfully for everything else. But I don't know if I need the Factory Crimp Die* or if I should just stick with what the Hornady die will do for me. What do you think?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

*Off site link to referenced item

· Premium Member
Everything
3,449 Posts
Man I seem to miss all the excitement anymore. Granted, the excitement level is down here of late and I know why, but it's like I start popping the corn for the show during the closing credits, lol.

· Super Moderator
10,551 Posts
When I get around to buying reloading gear for this, I'm leaning toward Hornady, I'm planning on buying the Lee Case Length Gauge & Shell Holder set* because I've got the Lee cutting stud and have been using that system successfully for everything else. But I don't know if I need the Factory Crimp Die* or if I should just stick with what the Hornady die will do for me. What do you think?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

*Off site link to referenced item
Late to this one, but I have always bought Hornady Lock Rings, I think they are the best on the market, although I will say the Lee Ultimate Lock Rings are excellent too. I have always been a fan of RCBS and they are my preferred dies. The Hornady New Dimension dies I just started using a few years ago. Specifically in 6.5 Grendel and 25-06 Remington. I will say they are excellent dies, probably better than the RCBS dies, but not enough better to make me run out and replace my old dies.

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Have you looked at Load Data.com?
I went ahead and bought a subscription. The 5.7 is just fiddly enough that I want what good data is available.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I went ahead and bought a subscription. The 5.7 is just fiddly enough that I want what good data is available.
Turns out that they don't have any data for the 5.7 which isn't publicly available. They have the same data which Hodgdon lists, covering #5, #7, and True Blue, and they have the data from the Brian Pearce data set which covers a lot more powders (#5, #7, #9, True Blue, W-N105, Power Pistol, Universal) and one or two more bullets. It's publicly available and Mr. Pearce says that he had the loads pressure tested and has start and max load, COAL, etc. But it's all publicly available and I've downloaded the PDF for his article and Hodgdon has their data online.

For load data which isn't publicly available, I should have bought the Lyman Reloading Manual. Starting at 49th edition, they list data for the 5.7. It includes data for N340, 800X, HS-7, Blue Dot, and I'm not sure what else. I've stumbled across a couple of instances where someone took a pic or video of their Lyman book so I can see some of the load data so I could build loads for those, but I don't think it's the whole section. I should have spent the $30 on Lyman 51, or at least a used Lyman 50.

I guess it doesn't matter anyway because I've decided to use #7 and bought a pound of that from the LGS. There's plenty of load data available for that and I have a good place to start.

Dadgum!, but gearing up to load for 5.7 is turning out to be expensive.
New powder (#7) $40
different (Maker) bullets $50
Hornady dies $70
Lee Case Length Gauge & Shell Holder (because I already have the cutting stud system) $12
Sheridan case gauge $46
====
$218

Of course, if I can get a load that closely replicates the performance of the Speer Gold Dot ammo, that will pay for itself in about 3 boxes of ammo.

And I also bought 250 once fired cases for an extra $50+shipping.

Fortunately, I already have small pistol primers. :p

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Registered
451 Posts
Turns out that they don't have any data for the 5.7 which isn't publicly available. They have the same data which Hodgdon lists, covering #5, #7, and True Blue, and they have the data from the Brian Pearce data set which covers a lot more powders (#5, #7, #9, True Blue, W-N105, Power Pistol, Universal) and one or two more bullets. It's publicly available and Mr. Pearce says that he had the loads pressure tested and has start and max load, COAL, etc. But it's all publicly available and I've downloaded the PDF for his article and Hodgdon has their data online.

For load data which isn't publicly available, I should have bought the Lyman Reloading Manual. Starting at 49th edition, they list data for the 5.7. It includes data for N340, 800X, HS-7, Blue Dot, and I'm not sure what else. I've stumbled across a couple of instances where someone took a pic or video of their Lyman book so I can see some of the load data so I could build loads for those, but I don't think it's the whole section. I should have spent the $30 on Lyman 51, or at least a used Lyman 50.

I guess it doesn't matter anyway because I've decided to use #7 and bought a pound of that from the LGS. There's plenty of load data available for that and I have a good place to start.

Dadgum!, but gearing up to load for 5.7 is turning out to be expensive.
New powder (#7) $40
different (Maker) bullets $50
Hornady dies $70
Lee Case Length Gauge & Shell Holder (because I already have the cutting stud system) $12
Sheridan case gauge $46
====
$218

Of course, if I can get a load that closely replicates the performance of the Speer Gold Dot ammo, that will pay for itself in about 3 boxes of ammo.

And I also bought 250 once fired cases for an extra $50+shipping.

Fortunately, I already have small pistol primers. :p

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I wasn't aware that all of Pearce's stuff was publicly available nor was i aware Lyman had these listings. I'll be buying that as well. They are the first outside of Western that is listing loads( Western, Accurate, Hodgeon, same thing)

· Registered
451 Posts
I wasn't aware that all of Pearce's stuff was publicly available nor was i aware Lyman had these listings. I'll be buying that as well. They are the first outside of Western that is listing loads( Western, Accurate, Hodgeon, same thing)
I also load for a bunch of different calibers so Load Data.com comes in handy for comparison on powders, bullets, velocity, etc.
BTW I did write to Maker and tell them that I referred you and now a bunch of people on several forums know how you got screwed on shipping and that I don't care if he can't stop UPS from charging what they do, if he wants to stay in business he better warn his customers and /or change shipping options!

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I wasn't aware that all of Pearce's stuff was publicly available
It was one of the first that I found. A google on "reload 5.7x28 pearce" gives the first hit to the full pdf, with the data charts:
(off site link to pdf)

Maybe it was supposed to be hidden or something, but it's not.

nor was i aware Lyman had these listings. I'll be buying that as well. They are the first outside of Western that is listing loads( Western, Accurate, Hodgeon, same thing)
I didn't either. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: GrumpyOlMan

· Registered
451 Posts
It was one of the first that I found. A google on "reload 5.7x28 pearce" gives the first hit to the full pdf, with the data charts:
(off site link to pdf)

Maybe it was supposed to be hidden or something, but it's not.

I didn't either. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Admittedly, I haven't checked in a while. I got wrapped up making brass and working up loads for my 300 Ham'r for hunting season. It's a Bill Wilson caliber with proprietary rounds that I couldn't get during season so I made some up. I just pulled the trigger on the 51st Lyman book. It should be here Sunday so I'll share when I can.

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I also load for a bunch of different calibers so Load Data.com comes in handy for comparison on powders, bullets, velocity, etc.
I'm one of those guys who does deep dives on anything which could be dangerous (such as reloading), expensive (new guns or cars), or life changing (new job).

Even for some things that are comparatively pedestrian. It took me 2 years to finally decide I needed a chrony and then to buy the sub-$100 model, and I asked advice here, read reviews, etc. When I wanted to reload for .38SPL I bought a bunch of brass from Rach and then spent hours digging through different load data, online sources, and manuals before settling on a load that has the same powder drop and COAL for both the XTP and HC bullets. I spent hours here asking advice, reading reviews, and comparative shopping before buying my first press and setup.

So while I do have access to Load Data.com I'll use it.

BTW I did write to Maker and tell them that I referred you and now a bunch of people on several forums know how you got screwed on shipping and that I don't care if he can't stop UPS from charging what they do, if he wants to stay in business he better warn his customers and /or change shipping options!
Well, I don't want to run a pro-2A small shop out of business. But I also don't want to get hosed on shipping either. I'm hopeful they get it figured out. I'll report here how it shakes out.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

41 - 60 of 80 Posts