Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Admittedly, I haven't checked in a while. I got wrapped up making brass and working up loads for my 300 Ham'r for hunting season. It's a Bill Wilson caliber with proprietary rounds that I couldn't get during season so I made some up. I just pulled the trigger on the 51st Lyman book. It should be here Sunday so I'll share when I can.
The 300 Ham'r looks like a really neat cartridge. I bought my 300 BLK before it came out or I would have given it more consideration. That said, last I looked Wilson was the only ones making a barrel for it and, from the price, it must have been dipped in gold or something.

I don't get it. You replicate a cartridge with the ballistics, including all the ballistic limitations (range, drop, etc.) of a 30-30, and then price the barrels as if they're precision long range barrels? That's gotta impact market penetration of what is already a niche cartridge. :p

I dunno, maybe their prices have change since then or someone else is making barrels now. <shrug> Anyway, it's a neat cartridge. I think @greg_r has one.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Registered
Everything I can get my hands on!
451 Posts
I'm one of those guys who does deep dives on anything which could be dangerous (such as reloading), expensive (new guns or cars), or life changing (new job).

Even for some things that are comparatively pedestrian. It took me 2 years to finally decide I needed a chrony and then to buy the sub-$100 model, and I asked advice here, read reviews, etc. When I wanted to reload for .38SPL I bought a bunch of brass from Rach and then spent hours digging through different load data, online sources, and manuals before settling on a load that has the same powder drop and COAL for both the XTP and HC bullets. I spent hours here asking advice, reading reviews, and comparative shopping before buying my first press and setup.

So while I do have access to Load Data.com I'll use it.

Well, I don't want to run a pro-2A small shop out of business. But I also don't want to get hosed on shipping either. I'm hopeful they get it figured out. I'll report here how it shakes out.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I don't either but that was ridiculous! Any good businessman knows that one bad word travels around at least 50 more times than a good one so I hope he gets the message.

· Premium Member
37,174 Posts

· Registered
451 Posts
The 300 Ham'r looks like a really neat cartridge. I bought my 300 BLK before it came out or I would have given it more consideration. That said, last I looked Wilson was the only ones making a barrel for it and, from the price, it must have been dipped in gold or something.

I don't get it. You replicate a cartridge with the ballistics, including all the ballistic limitations (range, drop, etc.) of a 30-30, and then price the barrels as if they're precision long range barrels? That's gotta impact market penetration of what is already a niche cartridge. :p

I dunno, maybe their prices have change since then or someone else is making barrels now. <shrug> Anyway, it's a neat cartridge. I think @greg_r has one.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Yeah the barrel was the most expensive part of the build but I got mine 2 years ago and paid north of $250 for a 16.2" Ranger w/1-13 twist. Luckily I caught a break on a matched Billet 17 Design upper and lower along with a Faxon Handguard and buffer assy, ,Odinworks Nickle Boron BCG and tunable gas block w/ tube, and even a custom dust cover that says something like Duck Fiden! when it's closed and two middle fingers when it's open. I also got a really good deal on a first focal plane scope from Vector and now it's my favorite hunting gun for deer. With the right bullet setup (my favorite so far is 130gn. Barnes TTSX and CFE Black powder). It's superior ballistically to the 30-30, 7.62, and the 300 BO by a considerable margin. It's basically between the .308 and the 30-30. I'm hoping Bill opens up the Patent on it so someone can make it cheaper although I will say that this thing is extremely accurate.

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Reactions: ajole

· Premium Member
37,174 Posts
Dirty, ineffective ammo. It's best use is for tearing down to get the brass and reload.
Sure. I know what FMJ is.
But I tear ammo down by shooting it.👍

· Registered
451 Posts
But I tear ammo down by shooting it.👍
Normally so do I, but if you want virgin brass which is ideal for a high pressure small cartridge with very malleable brass, there is none available which is why Jay at Elite Ammunition tears it down without shooting it (unless something's changed).

· Premium Member
3,818 Posts
What's a Lyndon?
Lyndon Johnson was fond of serial numbers, and I am not. Take one AR-57 upper, one AR buffer tube, one AR-57 buffer and spring, one AR thumbhole stock, one AR trigger jig, one AR FCS group, and one KE-Arms self-capturing receiver pin. Mix for 15 minutes, allow to cool while you load 50x 5.7x28mm rounds in a P-90 magazine. Take to range.

· Registered
451 Posts
Lyndon Johnson was fond of serial numbers, and I am not. Take one AR-57 upper, one AR buffer tube, one AR-57 buffer and spring, one AR thumbhole stock, one AR trigger jig, one AR FCS group, and one KE-Arms self-capturing receiver pin. Mix for 15 minutes, allow to cool while you load 50x 5.7x28mm rounds in a P-90 magazine. Take to range.
So, it's an AR not a pistol?

· Registered
451 Posts
Not quite an AR, and I built mine as a rifle - though there are California pistol grips that would allow you to build it as a pistol.
Yeah, I thought about building one but I already have a 5.56 so it seemed like a moot point The American eagle ammo out of a 5" barrel is pretty dirty and it just plain under performs any other 5.7 ammo. I shoot a lot of it when I take one of my pistols out to the range or my cabin so I'd rather shoot reloads which will burn cleaner and outperform the AE.

· Premium Member
37,174 Posts
You keep saying “under performs”, and “outperforms”. What do you actually mean? Is it unreliable? Inaccurate? Ineffective on meat targets? Less velocity so it requires changing your holdovers? Just not loud enough to make you happy?

What’s the specific “performance” issue you have?

· Registered
451 Posts
You don't buy a 5.7x28mm to be a plinker! You can accomplish that much cheaper and easier with a .22. I can't speak for Kirk but my reasoning was to purchase one to use as intended if (god forbid) the need ever arose. If you were to look up the history of the round maybe you would understand.

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I don't either but that was ridiculous! Any good businessman knows that one bad word travels around at least 50 more times than a good one so I hope he gets the message.
I'm putting an update in the other thread.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

· Premium Member
3,818 Posts
You keep saying “under performs”, and “outperforms”. What do you actually mean? Is it unreliable? Inaccurate? Ineffective on meat targets? Less velocity so it requires changing your holdovers? Just not loud enough to make you happy?

What’s the specific “performance” issue you have?
AE is a FMJ round w/ typically lower velocity than the more expensive stuff. It's the closest to plinking or break-in ammo as you can get in 5.7 short of loading your own.

· Premium Member
37,174 Posts
AE is a FMJ round w/ typically lower velocity than the more expensive stuff. It's the closest to plinking or break-in ammo as you can get in 5.7 short of loading your own.
And since we can assume he doesn't actually shoot the gun much since it's for SD only....yeah, I see why he doesn't like it.

But for anyone that wants to shoot the gun a lot, maybe to get proficient with handling it...you know, like we all read about and are taught by "the experts"....I think the AE would make sense. If it lets you shoot 10-20% more reps on your budget...that's a win.

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
And since we can assume he doesn't actually shoot the gun much since it's for SD only....yeah, I see why he doesn't like it.

But for anyone that wants to shoot the gun a lot, maybe to get proficient with handling it...you know, like we all read about and are taught by "the experts"....I think the AE would make sense. If it lets you shoot 10-20% more reps on your budget...that's a win.
Dryfire. $90 on the 'zon. Recoil is about the same. :)
Material property Gas Font Magenta Rectangle

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

61 - 80 of 80 Posts