Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been informed that loading the magazines oh the Hi Point should be done in a very particular way as to avoid jamming issues. Hence, when loading my mags with HP ammo, I discovered that you can either leave the round naturally diagonal or kind of tip its nose upwards as you load them. Additionally, you can leave the round up to where it naturally goes in or push it all the way back. So I'm wondering, should I move the round's nose upwards or leave it straight, and should I leave the round up to where it normally goes it or shove it all the way back?

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
This goes for all semi-loaded cartridges. When loading the mag, the ammo should go all way to back against the spline. When mag is loaded, then palm strike the loaded magazine against the palm of opposite hand to fully seat all the cartridges before loading into the gun. It's not a hard palm strike, but something that gets the ammo all aligned within the magazine. The first round should show a slight nose up when looking at it.

Now, with the 9mm Hi-Point pistol it seems that it has the most problems with the magazine feed lips, in that if you keep noticing with a jam that the ammo doesn't want to ride slightly nose up in magazine, or keeps getting stuck trying to go up the ramp, then some tweaking of the magazine lips will be needed to help clear the condition.

If you're getting jams from one round being fired, without ejecting fully and another round jammed trying to go up the ramp, then you need to look at your ammo. It's likely not loaded hot enough to let slide fully come back in the action to fully cycle correctly. This has been reported with using some Winchester White Box ammos, but other ammos can also cause the problem. Also hollow points are a big issue with working correctly and lots of reports that they will jam like crazy due to the extra softness of the bullet tip.

It's a try and see what your gun likes best for different ammos, but before doing any magazine corrections of feed lip bending, try the ammos first. You may not have any problems with them, but keep doing the loaded magazine palm strike before inserting mag into the gun.

Trust us. If you do have problems and can't seem to work out with your usage, call MOM and they'll help lead you through the problem, OR they'll have you send the gun in to have a look at, test, fix, send the gun back working AND also include a new magazine for your troubles. ALL FOR FREE.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The failures that I've been having is double feeds and the round going in too angled up and it causes the slide to stop halfway. At first I thought perhaps it was the fact that the ammo wasn't hot enough like you mentioned, but the weird part is that if I only load 4 rounds it works really well. With 5 rounds it doesn't have so many issues but it doesn't run flawless either. But with 6 or more rounds there's a failure every 2 or 3 rounds. Another funny thing is that hollow points actually have worked really well, but at the shooting ranges here it's only jacketed rounds so I could only shoot 3 mags of HP, so I haven't tested it as extensively as the FMJ.

·
Resident PITA
16,232 Posts
The failures that I've been having is double feeds
Check if you bent the firing pin. Double feeds are notorious for doing this.

the round going in too angled up and it causes the slide to stop halfway. At first I thought perhaps it was the fact that the ammo wasn't hot enough like you mentioned, but the weird part is that if I only load 4 rounds it works really well. With 5 rounds it doesn't have so many issues but it doesn't run flawless either. But with 6 or more rounds there's a failure every 2 or 3 rounds. Another funny thing is that hollow points actually have worked really well, but at the shooting ranges here it's only jacketed rounds so I could only shoot 3 mags of HP, so I haven't tested it as extensively as the FMJ.
Load mags as instructed above, keep them loaded when not in use and when bored, work the follower up and down with a stick or something. They need to be broken in.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
The failures that I've been having is double feeds and the round going in too angled up and it causes the slide to stop halfway.
EDITED:

This sounds like a couple issues happening. First the magazine spring needs broken in. Load your magazine(s) up and let sit for a few days/week for the spring to create what is called a set. All springs need a set and people contribute it to also getting broken in just like the pistol needs to wear things in to work correctly.

The next issue sounds with the ammo nose riding up at a steep angle is some tweaking of the front of the magazine lips being too far open and the round is being pushed up and out of that lip from the next round from the pressure of the spring. You need to get some needle nose pliers and bring the mag lips closer together to better get hold of the round and not let it pop out of the lips easily.

There's HP videos online that show you this procedure better than how I can explain. This is a visual to see how to do it. Just look for Hi-Point 9mm magazine lip tweaks and the videos should come up, along with other explanation videos. Be careful, while the videos can help, DO NOT try to do all the problem solvers at once. You need to start with the easiest and eliminate each problem before moving on.

You've already done one elimination. That was using different ammos. BUT after each correction, go back to each manufacturer's ammo to see if that will keep working correctly. Sometimes correcting one problem, will bring on a problem that didn't happen the first time and there needs to be a balance of what correction to keep and what problem to overlook and not go back to because it worked before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EDITED:

This sounds like a couple issues happening. First the magazine spring needs broken in. Load your magazine(s) up and let sit for a few days/week for the spring to create what is called a set. All springs need a set and people contribute it to also getting broken in just like the pistol needs to wear things in to work correctly.

The next issue sounds with the ammo nose riding up at a steep angle is some tweaking of the front of the magazine lips being too far open and the round is being pushed up and out of that lip from the next round from the pressure of the spring. You need to get some needle nose pliers and bring the mag lips closer together to better get hold of the round and not let it pop out of the lips easily.

There's HP videos online that show you this procedure better than how I can explain. This is a visual to see how to do it. Just look for Hi-Point 9mm magazine lip tweaks and the videos should come up, along with other explanation videos. Be careful, while the videos can help, DO NOT try to do all the problem solvers at once. You need to start with the easiest and eliminate each problem before moving on.

You've already done one elimination. That was using different ammos. BUT after each correction, go back to each manufacturer's ammo to see if that will keep working correctly. Sometimes correcting one problem, will bring on a problem that didn't happen the first time and there needs to be a balance of what correction to keep and what problem to overlook and not go back to because it worked before.
It might be a combination of weak ammo with the magazine spring not being set yet. That was a few months ago, I haven't tried it recently. But I've kept the mag fully loaded, so it should work now if it was that.

·
Saved by Grace through Faith
71 Posts
I also heartily recommend the Hi-Point "speed loader 2 pack": https://hi-pointfirearms.net/product/speed-loader/

I find it really helps get the cartridge in the magazine with the orientation needed for efficient feeding. I find the Hi-Point 9mm magazines are rather particular in terms of how you load them as compared to other 9mm mags. This little tool saved me a boatload of frustration. YMMV
Auto part Bicycle part Rim Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

1 - 7 of 7 Posts