Locally Available Mosin-Nagant...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by undeRGRound, Oct 5, 2015.

1. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Listed as a consignment, for $240. I need opinions,
    might be interested, I never had a Mosin. Looks decent from the pix,
    but it is obviously modified somewhat. Thought I'd ask the expert here :D

Includes 300 rounds of ammo, and "extras" :confused:

Pic:
    [​IMG]

From the picture URL you could swoop in and grab it, but I know the folks here
    are pretty tight and $240 for an MN is a lot to most ;)

I can check it out in person if anyone really wants it!
    Brian would hold it for Mole, if I asked... We're on a first name basis :D

2. undeRGRound

INDY
    Bigger version of the same pic, as an attachment:

Attached Files:

3. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

They kick like a mule. Both my nephews bought them when they were $120 or so. I have fired one of them. 1939 model, bolt was smooth as butter. $240?? They got 2 of them at that price? Did you get it yet?

4. undeRGRound

INDY
    No, I was wondering if the "extras" and ammo made it anywhere near worth it.
    Looks like a decent MN, could be "restored" possibly. Would need to check the bore
    and rifling to see if it is even worth anything. Barrel looks un-cut.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    And I got several at $89, but that isn't the price anymore.

In my AO, the gun, bayo, two pouches, cleaning kit/adjusting tool, and sling run about $189 right now.

That gun has $30-$90 of scope and mount, depending on how good the scope is, and how well they mounted it, and ammo like that is about $7 a pack, this weekend at my LGS, so that's maybe $90 in ammo...except you could buy a 440 count can for $99.:rolleyes: The bipod...$30 used.

The pistol grip..ugh. Take off $90 in value just because it's hideous, and stupid...firing that gun with your elbow down is asking for pain.:rolleyes:

So yeah, it's a break even deal. Of course...maybe it doesn't shoot groups, and that is why they are dumping it?

6. peorth

peorth Member

I would ask your reason to buy the Nagant. If you are a collector, you might want to find one in original configuration. If you like to tinker with it, there are nice aftermarket stocks with soft rubber butt pads that will save your shoulder.

if you are simply looking for an inexpensive 30 cal bolt action rifle, the lower end Remington 783 or Savage XP can be had for around $300 with rebates. They are cheaply made but accurate. Plus you have more selection in modern 308 or 30-06 ammo.

7. undeRGRound

INDY
    Thanks Ajole! Exactly what I wanted to know.

I'm not into collecting old mil-surps just yet, and if this thing is a shooter,
    it would be OK to go more sporter (or less) and just shoot it. Still cheap
    ammo to be had, and they aren't making any more of these. Prolly will
    not buy it, but I knew the $99 Mosin Days are OVER. Dood is likely to take
    a bit less, just maybe. It has been altered... and it's prolly a cheap scope.
    No one buys "good glass" around here. But sometimes Cheap is Good Enough :D

If I was working steady, I'd prolly go ahead and get it, but since I am not... :p

8. undeRGRound

INDY
    I'd rather get a C&R license then start collecting ;)

9. That's not a bad price at all.

10. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Normal MN are going for $190 on Classic right now.
    Though, with the bipod and pistol grip, I'd say bubba dun got ahold'a 'er

11. lsi1

lsi1 Member

just paid for one gonna pick it up thursday. need to pick up a can or 2 of ammo for it soon.

12. talon

talon the banned wagon

I could live with the bipod but the pistol grip had got to go.
    Its not a bad price with the ammo, not great either. Id offer 200 and pay 225 if everything else looks good on it.

13. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

14. Yup Talon is spot on.

15. peorth

peorth Member

Sometimes an... "Owner modified" rifle can be a good deal. There was a guy near me selling SKS with his custom camo paint job gone bad. Nobody wanted it and I could have bought it off him at discount. The wooden stock could be sanded and refinished, or replaced with ATI stock.

Same for rifles with cracked stock. If you plan to replace it with ATI or Archangel stock anyway, then the crack is less reverent.

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    Thanks Y'all!

It's a new caliber for me, which is a minor drawback...
    Whenever I get a caliber, I am pretty obsessive about
    stocking the ammo and such for that caliber. So it would
    cost me a bit more than just the purchase plus tax :D
    I'll sit on it for now, see if I get a steady job.

17. talon

talon the banned wagon

Its not something your going to use alot honestly. Buy a 880 crate of surplus and replace it when you open the second can.
    Personally i don't even do that much for mine. Ive got a single spam can in the closet and i just buy a box or two of 20 when i want to use it.

18. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Do what lsi1 did, when you get the chance, UG. The Mosin Nagant is something that everyone should have in the collection. In 5he interim, maybe you should order a spam can of ammo, while it's available, just to make sure that you get some while it's still cheap and to further incentivise yourself to just take the plunge at some point.

19. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

So you already have 5000rd of 10mm?

How's your driving record? Last I heard Old Dominion freight in Indiana was hiring right out of school. $50K+ a year to start out non union. Home everyday.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...ads/old-dominion-a-newbies-experience.222443/

20. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Walk away.
    Somebody followed advise given on a forum and made that into an abomination.
    They should give it away.
    Get yourself a 'real' unmodified Mosin.