Long Live the JHP!

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by FreeinVT, Sep 5, 2015.

1. I am in total love with this weapon. Yes, I’ve made the Brazilian my primary carry and practice weapon more than any other firearm, but as I said to my FFL dealer & Rangemaster: “business before pleasure.”

The Hi-Point .45 JHP is everything a military weapon should be: simple, easy to maintain, easy to use, durable, reliable, low cost, and POWERFUL. Now why isn’t the Army making it the main hand weapon for officers and non-coms? Seems like the .45 was effective against the Moro tribesmen and this sidearm one-ups the M1911 and the JHP beats the Glocks with a real safety selector!

Hey, all you active military! Get yourselves one of these and you will definitely take down the jihadis.

2. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Well stated! I'm in love with my JHP as well and have shared your sentiments for years. Simplicity, reliability and durability would make the JHP an ideal combat weapon.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Well, there are a couple practical matters that would always cause the military
    to reject such a design, but they re relatively simple to change at the mfg. level.
    Firing Pin Ejection is one, and Slide Material Durability is another. But you guys
    are on the right path, HP could obtain a military contract and make those changes!
    Actually, in the reverse order, but the Russians proved that SIMPLER is BETTER,
    in many ways! ;) :D :dance: :llama: :dance: :D ;)

4. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Maybe some extra steel reinforcement in the slide or possibly changing the slide material altogether - say some kind of softer steel

5. undeRGRound

INDY
    Why "softer" steel? Unless you are equating that with
    Cheaper. Military "economies of scale" are usually enough to negate higher
    prices, however. Look how cheap AR 15s are becoming again, due to market
    saturation. Last Month was the highest August for NICS checks since the
    system went online in 1998, and gun prices are STILL LOWER! Good Times! :D

So I say build the BEST Hi Point possible, change the small # of things that make
    it "non mil-spec" compliant, and then see what happens... as long as we're dreaming :D

6. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

The JHP is certainly an excellent weapon. I have about 1,100 or so rounds through mine now, have owned it for three years, and I have only had two FTF with no FTE. About 300 of those rounds have been various JHP loads too. How the hell could one have issue with that?

7. undeRGRound

INDY
    No one would really...
    but the military's testing calls for higher reliability than that, I believe.
    But the HP with a few changes (at the MOM level) could do it, IMO.
    I'd really love to see it! Imagine the popularity of a steel slide JHP!
    It would have a much more aesthetic profile on the slide, since it
    would be smaller (steel is a lot more dense) :D

8. Fracman

Fracman Member

You will see a factory10mm hipoint before hipoint gets a military contract

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    I know... HP would have to invest millions just to TRY for a military contract!
    Ruger pulled out of the MH17 trials, due to that. :p

10. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

Nothing more reliable then a HP!!!!

11. And to that, I add a hearty "Hear, hear!"

Thanks for the show of support.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  12. C'mon all you current or former military. Voice your opinion on this. GSA is always strung up with their own bureaucratic idiocies. They're one of the smallest agencies in federal government and they have few personnel who know anything about acquisitions. Believe me, I know; I have a lot of experience with them. Make your voices heard. In spite of the federal standards, to make the weapon a bit more reliable, maybe make the safety selector a bit more thumb-friendly, it wouldn't take much. Hang the legal mumbo-jumbo! I've already showed this weapon to an active duty Army sergeant and he is overly impressed.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Ok...here's why it won't happen.

The JHP trigger is not DA/SA.

The Safety isn't nearly adequate for military use.

The slide is Zamac...even if perfectly adequate, it won't fly.

The JHP mags are not High Capacity.

The JHP would need to have a COMP style barrel, threaded, with thread guard.

The JHP is not actually a tool-less field strippable weapon.

The JHP rear sights are plastic.

Iberia and Beemiller and all the rest of HP cannot make enough guns to meet the contract, if it were awarded.

So...all HP needs is to redesign the trigger, safety, barrel, and takedown. Then come up with high cap mags, a new frame and grip to hold the mags and new FCG, and design new sights, or buy out Mahan sights design. Plus design a new slide, and figure out how to machine it, instead of molding it as they do now.

Then build some prototypes, get into the competition, win it despite the fact that every guy on the trials team will despise HP, and despite not having built a factory big enough to make this new gun, then build more tools and molds, source the parts and materials, hire people to man the line...:rolleyes:

You see the problems?

14. undeRGRound

INDY
    This is the new "HP 'wish in one hand, sh!t in the other' Thread"

Bug-OFF, Ajolé! :p

We know all that, we're just not anal enough to waste 10 minutes typing it out ;)

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Someone has to crush false hopes and dreams early, as a teacher, some expect me to do that, and we wouldn't want to let them down.:p

It's just cut and paste from my "responses to HP wish list ideas that aren't realistic" document. I have another one for "stupid liberal ideas that are stupid, and why" and one for "why (insert gun name or caliber here) is NOT the perfect survival or SHTF gun".

Well, not really...but I do have those ideas on file in the ol' noggin.;)

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    You do take a ribbing pretty well :D

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Can't take yourself too seriously when you hang around teenagers all day; they are masters at making pretentious pricks miserable, and if you get mad at every little thing, you'll blow a valve or start abusing your dog.

Besides, I'm a coach...a little ribbing is a constant thing.:p

18. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    I do think that the simplicity of a blowback operated handgun would be perfect for military service. But, You would have to start with a 'clean sheet of paper' design too ever meet the requirements for service. Maybe a JHP gen 2?

19. Well, geez! It isn't like the JHP doesn't possess the stopping power of an M1911A1, while not having the same muzzle flip & recoil, and the mag holds more rounds. Doesn't help that on the one hand the government is putting these requirements on potential weapons contractors while passing laws restricting production of high-cap magazines. As for "tool-less stripping," I was issued an M-16 and it required tools, albeit not common items one would normally carry in a toolkit. This all has to do with GSA running requisitions and the federal government setting standards that favor big manufacturers. It was mainly focused on Colt, which catered to government and couldn't have cared less about the American citizen. Look where that got them. Now, they are favoring foreign manufacturers and the Glock. The Glock is a safe weapon????? This is all politics, and rather than cater to that, the military should be demanding what they need/require and the citizens should be pounding federal legislature and executive. And now's the time to do it, while they are both in disarray and feeling the pressure. I can tell you that in my current job, I have a lot of interfacing with GSA and found them lacking at a lot. I am working with my Agency to put together something to slam them.

Let's not play their game. We have the Constitution. Now, we need to make them accountable to us.

20. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Ohhhh it's a hard decision, my Beretta 92 or a HP. The HP is a BEAST to carry around + ruck + M4/SAW/240B...ouch. I DID see a lotta HPs in the "Amnesty Box" when I came home from Iraq (03-04, 82nd ABN- 3/325) so, obviosly Joes and Josephines took em over seas. THAT speaks volumes to what Soldiers thought of HPs. Not the leaving them there, but the taking them to war. MAYBE if it was a high capacity version. Nothing says LOVIN like, stitchin some dirtbag from pant zipper to face.