Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just went to the local shop...someone please chain me to something so i stop going in there..
Anyways I cam across a used Mossberg ATR100 in 30-06 with a brazzer(i think ) 3-9x scope for about $310 out the door.
Is this a good deal?
I read around and seen these rifles can be had for like 275 new but with no scope. I looked a few online and they where jacked up as usual.
Anyways i would appreciate and responses about this. I have been using my Marlin 336cs I got for my first gun for deer. Want a gun that can shoot a good range...as the deer never seem to stand at attention for me anymore...must me my creeky knees.
thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
I can't say much about that rifle, but if you want a good solid gun with no frills at all; take a look at the Rossi's I've had one in .308 youth (easier to move around in a treestand) and absolutely love it. Although I have always been a fan of single shot deer rifles. You can get them in 270, and the 30-06. And at the price you can afford to dress it up with a higher end scope and still have some cash left over.

·
Village Amadan
593 Posts
The 100 ATR has a couple of great features. The first feature is the free floating barrel which doesn't rest on the stock at all and is allowed to expand/contract without moving up/down or side/side throwing the point of impact off. Second is their LBA or Lightning Bolt Action with its adjustable trigger (down to 2 lbs.). I got to shoot one a few weeks ago while I was sighting in my new scope on my old Ruger M77. I liked the way it felt in my hands and at my shoulder. I also liked that the action didn't feel like one of those cheap Remington's (the 710 for example) and how they feel cheap. All-in-all it felt like a solid rifle though certainly not a Win Model 70 or a Remington 700BDL. When I pulled the trigger I did manage to keep the rounds in about a 2" group at 100 yards so any deer would have been dead for sure. So, for that price point, it'll bag deer but never win any rifle matches.

Another great buy on a scoped rifle is the Savage 110. The price point is a tad higher but then so is the quality. We bought the wife a 10GXP chambered in .243 and she loves it! She chose it over the Mossberg simply for its balance.

Hope that helps.

Mac

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I looked at an ATR 100 before I bought my Savage, and did not care for it. There has been some problems with them breaking firing pins, and the model I looked at I can understand why: when the bolt was cocked and in battery with a snap-cap in the chamber, I could wiggle the bolt side to side in the receiver. With that much play in the bolt, I can foresee problems with the firing pin bending or breaking. Now, that was last year, and it might have been that particular gun, but if I were you, I would check it out thoroughly.

·
Village Amadan
593 Posts
One thing I have always done is have my gun seller bring out several or all of the on-hand model in the caliber I am looking at and I go over each one carefully looking for any flaws like loose bolts or sights, etc. in order to minimize going home with a lemon. So far its worked out well for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The scope was probably a Simmons Blazer. They are a pretty common cheap scope. I have a 3-9x50 on my 10/22. It works okay, but not great. Doesn't get used hard enough to have any durability reports.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've had some really good luck out of my Remington 710 (.300 mag) and it has some serious effective range. Got it new with a Bushnell 3x9x40 scope and a padded sling for 269.00. Most accurate rifle I've ever shot, right out of the box. Been loving it ever since.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've had a Simmons scope on my Win. mod 270, 22, pump, for 16 yrs, and not readjusted it yet, and it is still dead on at 25 yd. Cover a 6 shot group with a dime, course the Win. has something to do with that....I also put a Simmons 4-12 x 40 on my new Savage mod 11, 223, and it will drive tacks at 100 yes. Great for groundhogs. Jim <><

·
Village Amadan
593 Posts
For years the gun snobs have been downplaying Simmons scopes in favor of their precious Leupold's. Don't get me wrong, Leupold is the benchmark, but let's face it, scopes don't help you shoot any better, just see better.

I have had Simmons on all my rifles since the dawn of time. OK, since the dawn of my hunting time. I have killed more deer with my old 270 and Simmons scope than many people will ever shoot at. Recently my 270 hit the floor (clumsy friend) and the cross hair no longer cross. He felt bad enough to offer to buy me a new scope and the only reason I'm not putting a new Simmons on there is because my purveyor of fine guns offered me a great deal on a Nikon ProStaff 3x9x50 for under $100 (a return).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.