Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally made the plunge and bought a Mossberg 100 atr to replace my trusty Malrin 30-30 for deer hunting. I hope to be able to finally reach out and touch them darn deer that keep running away from me!!!

what you all think?

·
Village Amadan
593 Posts
I like it! What caliber?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its in 30-06..I got it used for 310 bucks. I know you can get a new rifle like the marlin xl7 for that but thats without mounts and a scope. I was debating on the marlin and just put my old 3-9x busnell from the 30-30 on it but gave in and bouth this one.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Very nice! let us know how it shoots I was looking at those or the weatherbys , b4 I got laid off, rifle plans on hold for now. But I'd still like to hear the range report.

·
Village Amadan
593 Posts
I'd like to get either the 100 ATR or a Savage 110 in .270 W for my youngest son so I too am very interested in the range report!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Iam intchin to fire this one as well. I can say that if you are interested in a rifle like this I would definatly go with the marlin xl7. Its a new rifle and has a free floating barrel(like the atr) but has one option I love that this one does not. Accutrigger....the xl7 comes with bases with it as well. I see them for $289-300. they come in 25-06..270 and 30-06 calibers. It of course comes with no scope or rings.
With that said Iam not upset that I got this one instead. And i definatly will post up. I have 40 rounds of 30-06 180 grains rounds waiting...and a bunch of homemade targets.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok gents,
I finally took the Mossberg out. The one thing i found out is that the simmon 3-9x 50mm scope on it is horrid. It was blurry no matter what power I had it set at. At 50 yards its clear as a bell..at a 100 it was all a big blurr.
Anyways Iam wondering is it because the scope is designed for more yardage???? I have a old bushnell 3-9x 38mm that is clear at all ranges and evan at 100 yards is clear. At least I could see the friggin targets...not with the simmons.
I put 20 rounds down range but do to the blurriness the best I got was one grouping of two about a quarter size. the rest where pretty widespread. I was shooting 2 rounds at targets that arent normal size. I have homemade jobs that are somewhat smaller than normal 100 yard range targets.
Anyone have any ideas on the scope issue.
And by the way this thing kicks like a friggin mule and is awful loud. Iam glad is has a huge cushion..evan so my arm is a bit sore.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didnt get any paperwork as I bought the rifle used and the scope was already with it. The parallax is supposidly at 100 yards as seen on their website. All I can say was the target was totally blurry. I put my old bushnell sportview 3-9x 38mm on it tonight after the range and compared the two...the bushnell is crispy clear where the simmons is a blurr...yikes.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
GB, have you tried adjusting the focus on the lens. It is possible that the focus was set at 50 yards by the person who had it before you. I have a Simmons 3-9x40 that came with my Savage 110, and it was a little out of focus when I bought it. If your scope is like mine, there is a locking ring on the eye-bell that you can loosen, which then allows you to rotate the eye-bell in both directions. Hold the scope about three inches from your eye, and look at something at the range you want to sight in. If the reticle does not immediately appear crisp, rotate the eye-bell until it comes into sharp focus. Once you have the focus where you want it, tighten the locking ring back up, and you should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
i also just bought one of those 100 atr rifles in 30-06 i got it used with a baush & laum elite 3000 scope for 300 even

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok everyone I appreciate all the help. Mine doesnt have a screw to loosen but the actualy end pieces adjusts. I have it nice and clear now. I have to now go out and remount it and sight it back in...half the fun :devilsidesmile:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.