Long time listener, 1st time caller

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Fisher, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Fisher

Fisher Member

Howdy all,

Got my 1st C9 a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying getting to know its quirks. I've got about 150 rounds through it and approximately 25% of the time the 'last round hold open' does not hold open. As in, the slide is closed after the mag is empty. I'm using good FMJ and JHP ammo (except for a box of Remingtons I put through it Saturday. The gun did NOT like that ammo at all.)

Just wondering if this is a known issue for this piece.

Thanks and happy to have found this forum. Been reading for a couple of weeks. lol

2. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

Welcome to the forum! The "GOONS" should be along shortly to welcome you also! :rofl:

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

East of the Rockies or West of the Rockies? :rofl:

Sounds like the mag spring isn't popping the follower up quick enough on the last round to engage the LRHO. Sometimes this means a very dirty mag, which drags the follower and spring. Sometimes this means a weak magazine spring. Does it do the same thing with different mags?

Might also be a malformed follower or a worn or malformed LRHO tab such that the two aren't mating together properly.

Last time I saw this it was a filthy magazine. Disassemble the mag, clean it. Debur it. Lube it. Try it at the range again. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Hey, I started out life as Little Bunny Foo Foo. If I'm a Goon it's because that blasted "Good Fairy" has no sense of humor!

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  5. Fisher

Fisher Member

Thanks. The gun and mag were brand-spanking new when I got it. Still had the tags and the dummy plug in the chamber. Can a mag get that dirty that quick?

Saturday I got 2 10-round mags in the mail so I'll try those out and see if there's a difference.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yeah, sometimes. If it picks up a bit of unburnt powder, a shaving of brass or lead, or just has a large particle of whatever accidentally blow into it during the first range session while sitting on the bench.

Could also be that the mag is unlubricated and dragging through simple friction. Many mags don't come NIB very well lubed. Often they have a "preservative" on them but it sucks as a lube. A quick shot of your favorite light oil inside would take care of that; particularly along the contact points of the follower where it slides against the inside of the magazine body.

Could also be a bur on the follower from the stamping process causing it to drag. If that was it, swipe a lady's Emory Board or grab some medium grit sand paper and scrub the bur off.

Make sure they're clean and lubed.

Also make sure that the LRHO mechanism is lightly lubed with whatever light weight oil you prefer. Just a drop right there at the pivot should do. If the tab is dragging because it's dry then that could have a similar effect.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    1-800-282-2882 :rofl:

:welcome:fisher!!!

"EXERCISE" the Mag Springs... :p

100 reps with a ruler. Or pencil, w/e :cool:

8. undeRGRound

INDY
    I resemble that remark :p

9. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Welcome from Las Vegas!

10. Fisher

Fisher Member

Awesome! Thanks everybody!

11. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Clean the mags, new doesn't mean clean.
    It could have some shavings in there from the manufacturing process.
    Mag spring not broken in.
    Clean, lightly lube and work the spring up and down a couple of times.
    Keep the mags loaded between range visits.
    Could also be the mag is slightly out of spec.
    If it happens with multiple mags it may be the LRHO tab that needs to be adjusted.

As indicated by the white arrow.

[​IMG]

Here's the hard part lol
    Only work on one thing at a time.
    If you start doing all sorts of things you may never knew what fixed it or what made it worse.
    I have a mag on my JHP and I have a mag for my Beretta which doesn't always leave the slide open.

12. Fisher

Fisher Member

I'll start with the mags. Never thought or knew about leaving them loaded.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's a common recommendation around here and, to pick a fight, one which I disagree with.

Springs need repeated compression and release to "break in." Simply leaving them compressed for a long period doesn't do that.

I'm on the side of the fight which says, get a wooden paint-stir and work the follower up and down 100 times.

:)

But in your case, I'd start with lubing & cleaning stuff.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. FirearmFanatic

I know, now get back in your cage! :rofl:

15. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

It's very likely your mag.
    If you're curious you can take the slide off and insert an empty mag and see where the LRHO tabs sits.

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    NOW YOU DO!!!
    Kirk has the best strategy, working them.
    But leaving them loaded has benefits, just not
    as good, or quick.

You do know that if you are around enough, we will just call you

FISH :D :rofl:

17. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Hey from a goon in Colorado :welcome:

18. Fisher

Fisher Member

It's been that way for years! lol

19. FirearmFanatic