Looking at getting one of these for my CCW(Pics Included!!!)

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by Mordecai, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

Alright, at first I was thinking about getting a C9 for my CCW, but I'm starting to think I want a larger caliber, and no offense to hi-point, I love em, I think their guns are reliable, but I'm looking for something even more reliable, with a lot more years in gunmaking, etc. So, more reliable? I thought wheelgun. Then I started thinking of big name gun companies, and I thought of S&W. So, this is what I'm thinking of getting, the Smith and Wesson Model 325PD.

Here is a review for it.

Here is the S&W webpage for it.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...d=10001&productId=35901&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

Heres a pic.

[​IMG]

And I can get it here on impactguns for about $300 less than MSRp.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/022188634167.html

I'm considering it, or the 329PD, which is the same gun chambered in .44mag.

What do you all think?

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

What are the benefits of each of the rounds?

I'm leaning real strong towards the .45acp though

3. Unless you are a really big fellow, or wear those 5x too big pants, the two guns you mentioned will be pretty darn hard to conceal carry. These two guns are more for open hip carry than concealed carry due to their large full size frames.

rimfirehunter

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

I need to check into my laws, but I want to open carry most of the time anyway, and when I need to conceal carry I'll use a shoulder holster and wear a jacket.

5. Wow, that's a big gun. Fire for effect!

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

7. I know a couple guys who use .44 Mags for concealed carry, but they do not carry with full power mag rounds. What they use are 200gr Winchester Silver Tip .44 Specials or Hornady 180gr XTP's also in .44 Special. These rounds do not have the terrible recoil and muzzle blast like full power mags do but still hit as hard as any .45acp round does when fired from a 4" barrel 1911. If you are going with a big bore whell gun its damn hard to beat the .44 Special for a self defense cartridge.

8. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

Why would you take the special of the mag, doesn't the mag, being a more powerful round, have more knockdown power? Or do you have to worry about it going through your target and hitting someone else?

9. Random data points

Gun Tests reviewed the 3" 45 ACP version of the 325PD in the Feb 2005 issue, rated it a "Conditional buy" primarily because they thought hot defense loads would recoil too much for most people.

The ammo carrier of the shoulder holster I use for my 3" 45 ACP Model 625 has two pockets designed for 44 Mag speed loaders. Nose to nose I can get two full moon clips into each pocket for a total of 30 rounds for the rig (six in gun and 24 in the ammo carrier).

44 Special ammo is available in less variety and at a much higher price per round than 45 ACP.

Half a box of Blazer 44 Special 200 grain Gold Dot fired through my Charter Arms Bulldog @ 21 oz makes my hand ache for ablout three days.

10. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

There isn't a 3in mate, only a 4in, and a 2 3/4in, but no 3......

11. You are correct, Gun Tests reviewed the 2.75" version of the 325PD. I rounded in my previous post, I didn't know that .25" whould be that significant to you.

12. The .44Mag is a round that was designed to shoot thick skinned animals and heavy big game not people. The .44Mag is a handgun hunting round and is a very good one at that provided the shooter is up to handling the recoil and doing his part. As I said, I know a number of people who carry .44's for self defense and they use .44 Specials, or mag cases downloaded to .44 Special velocities.

orangevale,

Gotta love the Charter Bulldog .44, nothing like packing "Thumper" along for a walk about and knowing you have 5 very big boolets to get the job done if need be. Sure do miss my Bulldog .44! Currently I have a Taurus 441 .44 Special 4", not a compact gun but man is it fun to shoot.

rimfirehunter

13. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

I just didn't think there was a 3" version is all, my bad, thought maybe you might of meant a different model.

So if .44 mag isn't a good defense round, why did S&W make a weapon meant for carry in .44 mag?

14. S&W is in business to sell guns and make money. They will make and sell what consumers are willing to pay for.

15. Lots of truth in Rimfires last statement. I've seen people trying to CC a S&W 500 just because the goofy arses want to. Doesnt mean it's practical. Something you want to remember here is that whatever you get with the plan to use in absolutly any type of defence (open, concealed, home...) then you are going to want to put hundreds of rounds through it before trusting your life to it. Will you be able to afford ALOT of ammo to train up then regularly train to become and remain sufficient? If so, will you be able to handle firing 300-400 rounds of 44mag in a day? Lots of things to consider before choosing a CC gun. If you want the gun cause it looks fun and will enjoy shooting, by all means run out and get it as I've done this a few times, but put alot of thought into something that will be relied on so heavily as to trust your life with it in a moments notice, or less.

16. I've fired a fair ammount of 44 mag in a full sized Ruger Super Blackhawk and it does kick a bit. Of course the plowhandle S/A grip rolls more than the D/A grip of a S/W, but as light as those guns are I suspect you wouldn't want to fire a lot of 44 mag in it. I suspect even a 44 special will let you know you've fired a gun. :D