Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, since HP does not have a compact 9mm, what is out there that would be a more compact 9mm? I'm not a huge guy so I really don't want a big gun for CCF. Also, I don't want to spend a ton of money. The bad news is, the only real brands that I know are the high end ones. That doesn't mean they are the best, so I'm looking to you all to help me out here.

So what would you buy if looking for a compact 9mm and looking to keep it under $400?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Take a look at a Makarov, PA-63, or a CZ-82. all 9x18mm Makarov guns that are easy to hide. If you want a 9x19 tane a look at a CZ-PO1, or an old S&W model 39 compact.

Ron M.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, forget the CZ one, that exceeds my $400 limit. I'd like to keep it under $400.

I took a look at the Bersa, but are they reliable? The web site was a little lacking in detail. I like the size, and the price was closer to what I was looking for. Is sub $400 not enough for a sub compact?

·
Premium Member
260 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
+1 That's what I carry. The 9mm have little to no issues out of the box. The .380's took a little break in though from what I hear.
Just go check one out. They are amazing especially for the price. I will NEVER part with my Bersas.
Okay, will do. Is it a DAO gun? What should I expect to pay for one on average? Also, who carries them (Gander Mtn)? More for finding one to look at than finding the best price.

Also, what about the Taurus 24/7 compact pro? It has a 17+1 mag, and a 3.3" barrel? I believe the price is right around $400 too. I like the fact that it can carry 17+1, but is that at the cost of a bulkier gun?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
You, my friend are asking all the right questions. You'll find however, many of the answers are trial and error - your hands, your waste, your preferred method of carry and so on. It took me months to figure it out and I had the entire family here helping me out too.

Guns - many Taurus fans here, 24/7 and the milpro compacts. S&W sigma fans here. Keltec P-11, and PF-9 fans too. There's also a rare find of a use XD to be had, or used Glock, etc. Key is, many fine guns under $400 if you're looking about. You need to touch them all, cause they're all different. Each also has bummers from time to time, remember you're dealing with a machine.

Are you considering revolvers too? They carry well I hear and some folks recently landed some 357's there, Charter Arms - and they are sweeeet looking ladies.

Find the gun you like first, then look for how to carry it that will suit you. Lots of great holsters out there. And you'll buy a few of those too till you get it right.

When the dust settles, you'll be a happy and more secure camper. Keep us up to date on what you're doing so we can help along the way too. I started from scratch and the folks here were A+ every step.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
There is an interesting holster belt combo the demoed on this site

http://www.uscca.com/

Don't know if you can get to it now or not. You carry under your pants zipper. Looked easy, and can set, squat and bend without any problems if the weapon is small enough. He showed it with a 38 special 5 shot revolver.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I picked up a Charter Arms .357mag Bulldog Pug, or 357 Mag Pug for short. Mine has a DAO shaved hammer (spur-less). I carry it in a BLACKHAWK! size 0 IWB, at 11:55 to 12:00. It is very comfy there, and still easy to get to.I also carry my C9 at 3:00 in a Fobus model HP2 paddle holster. Again, very comfortable and user-friendly.

I agree with finding what you like and then figuring out what carry style/holster works best for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have recently picked up a Taurus Millennium Pro PT145 for concealed carry. It is 10+1 rounds of 45 ACP in a very compact package. These are the specs for the blued model that I have:
Model: 145BP
Caliber: .45 ACP
Capacity: 10+1
Barrel Length: 3.25"
Action: DA/SA
Finish: Blue Steel
Grips: Checkered Polymer
Weight: 22.2 oz
Construction: Polymer/Steel
Frame: Compact
Front Sight: Heinie
Rear Sight: Straight-8
Trigger Type: Smooth
Length: 6.125"
Width: 1.25"
Height: 5.125"

I have been really pleased with the range performance so far.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What's everyone's opinion of the Taurus 24/7 Pro Compact? I hear it has a 17+1 capacity, and the dimensions appeal to me. I want to take a look at it first, but thought I would see what others may think of the handgun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What's everyone's opinion of the Taurus 24/7 Pro Compact? I hear it has a 17+1 capacity, and the dimensions appeal to me. I want to take a look at it first, but thought I would see what others may think of the handgun.
I belong to a Taurus forum as well. There are lots of really good people of there. I suggest you check with them. I don't know too much about the 24/7 series.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
A few choices might be a Taurus MP or a Kahr. Kahr makes a nice small 9mm that I recently handled and it felt pretty nice.

·
1,792 Posts
I am an XD guy myself as it Was what I was looking for.

Having said that The Tuarus Is a very fine Pistol. (IMHO)

I would urge you like many have to Fingure Fudge a variety of pistols prior to making your final decision.

Feel of grip and ease of use are not the same with all persons with same firearm. What works for you may not work for others.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If a revolver doesn't offend you, look into a taurus mod 605, they make a 2" ss .357 for about $350.00 if you shop around. You'll be amazed at how accurate they are. Mine shoots .38 &.38+p's way better than I can. Check out as many as you can before investing. We all have likes and dislikes.

Regards,

·
Registered
127 Posts
Also consider, if you look at revolvers, Charter Arms' offerings. Lower price than the tauruses, made in the USA, great quality and surprising level of fit and finish.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.