Looking for an all around gun...any advice???

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by BC2245, Jul 28, 2015.

1. BC2245

BC2245 Love22's Member

I am looking for a home defense, range, and possible carry pistol. Right now I am inbetween a Tristar c-100 9mm and a Springfield XD compact mod.2. I already have a Ruger SR9, so I don't want a SR9c. The springfield is a little over my budget. Looking for around 300-325. Any ideas? Or reasons to steer me away from the CZ clone? Thanks guys

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

CZ designs are nearly universally good. A decent made CZ clone will be a good gun. No reason to avoid them, per se.

That said, if you already have the SR9, then you've got "carry" covered already. For plinking and SD, perhaps you might want to consider a rifle, shotgun, or carbine. You could probably get a Hi Point 995TS for your price range if you shopped around. That would cover both both plinking and home defense. To be honest, if you have proper storage precautions, a carbine of your favorite type makes a better home defense firearm than a pistol, in my opinion.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. BC2245

BC2245 Love22's Member

Thanks for reply, I do have a Shotgun, .22 semi auto, and an SKS. I feel like I got long guns covered, for now. Wanting another handgun, I feel naked with just one. I sold my other.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Then you got the basics covered. Get whatever trips yer trigger. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I kinda like the idea of a carbine too.

There are the SAR guns, the SD9 VE, some Bersa models, or the Taurus line that wasn't in the recent settlement...

You could go real small...PF9 or the other single stack 9 mm models by Taurus and others?

6. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

You might try a decent revolver in your favorite caliber. They are excellent back up guns and practically foolproof.

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I'll second the revolver, everybody needs a .357
    You can shoot .38 Special for recreational use

8. BC2245

BC2245 Love22's Member

Swaga, a revolver is on the short list, probably a used S&W model 10. But for home defense and carry I prefer something with more capacity.

It seems as though bad guys travel in packs, I want something with at least 10 rounds capacity.

Here in St. Louis there was a robbery at a local hole in the wall tavern. Three armed bad guys walked in to rob everybody in the place. (Pulp Fiction like) A retired police officer pulled out his snub nosed .357. He killed one guy and injured another, but he was shot and a person next to him was killed. I wonder if he had more rounds if it would have turned out different. Rats travel in packs, I need more than 5 or 6 rounds, but I do love the simplicity,power, and reliability from a .357.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_b07512f8-9f4c-546f-997a-3134797bc569.html

9. gasman42

gasman42 Member

NC
  10. Rerun

Rerun Member

Get a LeMat revolver: Nine .44 caliber barrels surrounding a 20 gauge shotgun barrel (repro).

Range to 100 yards with 40 yards effective range.

;)

eldar

11. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I second the PT111 from Taurus. I don't own one, but the price is right and I think Taurus makes a very reliable gun.

Or, if you like .45, Kentucky Gun has a Tisas Zigana 1911 for $329.00. http://www.kygunco.com/search.cfm
    I can vouch for the Tisas brand. They make a quality gun for the price. I have the ATI HP9 (made by Tisas), and I've been eyeballing this 1911 for awhile.

12. talon

talon the banned wagon

There really isn't a better "all around" weapon than a carbine.
    Short enough for close quarters/home protection, enough power to take down game if needed at a decent range, extremely accurate to good distances, lightweight and ammo is affordable and common.

Theres not a single handgun or revolver that can equal the overall pros of a carbine.

13. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Canik tp9 is a good choice 18+1

14. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

As carry is one of your requirements, CZ75BD, with the correct holster it can be carried well. And yes I love my CZ and am extremely biased.

15. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

It needs to be a 45 though ;-)

16. Earnshaw

Earnshaw Member

The Canik/Tristar C-100 are good mid-size pistols. Mine is flawless with any ammo, not too heavy and feels good in hand.
    Figure on mid $300 range OTD for a new one. Aim Surplus has the CZ999 mid size, a more or less Sig P-229 size gun that gets good reviews. These are $289.99 NIB + shipping and transfer. I had the full size model of this and it was a no problem gun that was very pleasant to shoot. Both the mid and full size versions of this gun use the same magazine, so the grip frame size are the same, difference is simply a shorter barrel in the mid.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/tristar-products-c-100-9mm-pistol?repChildCatid=588254

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...me=Zastava+CZ999+Compact+9mm+Pistol&groupid=3

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015