Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a weapon to carry along with me when I'm out and about. I'm set on 9mm, mostly because a 1911 is too expensive for me.

I'm a large guy, and size is not the most important factor. My c9 is far too uncomfortable due to weighing down my pants.

Any suggestions? Looking for $250 price point (used). I have a friend willing to sell me her Taurus Mil pro, but no telling when that will be since she wants to replace it with a Glock and sub-2k to match before she sells.

Seems like the mythical $250-$300 price point is hard to get in my area.

I have heard llama 1911's are crap, and even finding those has been a challenge.

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
10,338 Posts
I think you'd be best looking for something used. I've seen several used Rugers in that price range. Hope that helps. Just keep your eyes open for deals and snatch one up when you get the chance.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah, those Rugers are the way to go......The SR-9 is REALLY thin.

·
Registered
799 Posts
My vote is for a Feg PA-63 I paid 169 for mine, its a great carry its basically a PPK clone and hey I never saw any printing on James Bond so you should be OK.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yeah, those Rugers are the way to go......The SR-9 is REALLY thin.
and around 400 bones

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I'll probably be going with this EAA Windicator at some point. I like the fact that revolvers have less moving parts and are more likely to go "boom" when you need them to. Gander has them for $249.99 in their current ad. After that, I'll be picking up a Taurus in 9mm--probably a Millenium Pro.

·
Registered
666 Posts
and around 400 bones

I saw one in the pawn shop for around 300$ used, that's pretty close to what the cat wanted to spend

·
Premium Member
10,338 Posts
I'll probably be going with this EAA Windicator at some point. I like the fact that revolvers have less moving parts and are more likely to go "boom" when you need them to. Gander has them for $249.99 in their current ad. After that, I'll be picking up a Taurus in 9mm--probably a Millenium Pro.

Man, I have a millenium pro in .40 S&W and it is far from a small gun. I mean I love it and all, but I wouldn't mind having something a little small ya know.
Don't let me talk you outta getting one though, they are great guns. Mines two toned.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts

Man, I have a millenium pro in .40 S&W and it is far from a small gun. I mean I love it and all, but I wouldn't mind having something a little small ya know.
Don't let me talk you outta getting one though, they are great guns. Mines two toned.
Well...I held one once before in 9mm and liked it. I know it's not Kel-Tec-small but I only have a Sportsmans's permit. That means I can only carry when hunting, hiking/camping or at the range. A slightly bigger pistol won't be problematic in those situations (at least to me personally)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Oh yeah... I think this is the way I'm going to go. The .357 is going to be more my speed, but I looked on budsgunshop.com, and the .38 special says no sale to california... Any reason why?

·
Banned
19,436 Posts

Oh yeah... I think this is the way I'm going to go. The .357 is going to be more my speed, but I looked on budsgunshop.com, and the .38 special says no sale to california... Any reason why?
they do not meet california safety regs. if you want a gun in california, buy it in california so you know it meets regs. otherwise you can fall afoul of the law.

SW

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
^^^ They're both the same handgun. If you get the .357, you also get the .38.
Ah ok... The fact that Buds said .38 spec led me to believe they were different...
They are different, according to the EAA site. I think RDFabsRep was saying that if you get the .357 version you will be fine (and probably recommended) to shoot .38 Special or .38 Special +P. If you purchased a model that was listed as a .38 then you will not be able to chamber the .357 shells, even if the cylinder is strong enough to handle a .357.

From what I've read about these guns, they are not meant to be shot a lot with hot loads. Shooting enough .357 ammo to get familiar with the gun and your chosen defensive round should be fine. For more frequent shooting, I would say spend a little more and get a used (or new, if possible) Charter, Taurus, Ruger, S&W etc.

That's not to say that I wouldn't consider the .357 Windicator if my local Gander Mtn still had any @ $250. That's a good price for a .357 wheelgun and I wouldn't mind one for plinking - not relying on for CCW. They should be fine for CCW as long as you're not also using it as a weekend plinker, running a lot of hot rounds through it. Some guns are good for both, with this one I would pick one and stick to it - shoot a lot, don't rely on it, or shoot a little and use it exclusively for CCW/nightstand duty.

Also, the reason (or part of it) for the restrictions in California and a few other states is because of frame melting point laws - these guns are made of an inexpensive alloy that could melt at lower temperatures than guns normally do. Basically that thing they say about Hi-Points, except it's actually true for the Windicator.

·
Registered
638 Posts
[quote/]
They are different, according to the EAA site. I think RDFabsRep was saying that if you get the .357 version you will be fine (and probably recommended) to shoot .38 Special or .38 Special +P. If you purchased a model that was listed as a .38 then you will not be able to chamber the .357 shells, even if the cylinder is strong enough to handle a .357.
[/quote]

+1

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.