Looking for opinions on conceal/carry gun

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by minidriver, Feb 3, 2008.

1. minidriver

minidriver Member

Ok,,,, after changing jobs to a industry that is probably a bit riskier personnally than my last and a long nagging desire, I am looking for a good dedicated carry gun. 9mm is my personal caliber of choice. I have been looking at the Springfield XD HCSC and the Taurus Millenium Pro as possible choices. I like the second strike ability of the Taurus but the XD seems more reliable from info I have gathered on the web. I haven't fired either weapon yet,,, have handled both. Either is acceptable but the Taurus grip fits me slightly better. I am open to other weapons but those two grab me due to capacity, weight, safety features, size, and cost. My life and the life of those around me may depend on this choice. Help me out here guys.

2. neothespian

neothespian Member

My little sister carries the Millenium Pro .40 S&W, and it has functioned flawlessly for her (even with a slightly chewed slide that makes it a bit of a pain to field strip...she has yet to send it in... :roll: ). It's a compact pistol with some decent ergonomics, and the price can't be beat, especially used! But, it's advantage could be a disadvanatge: The size. She's 5' even and 110lbs soaking wet, so the small gun with a big caliber was perfect for her, but if you have larger hands you will find it a bit cramped. Beyond that I really don't see any fault with them, especially with prices hovering around $350!

I haven't had the chance to fire a Springfiled, simply because they're too damned expensive for anyone I know to justify owning one when you can get two arms for the price of one outfitted Springfield :p.

3. minidriver

minidriver Member

The XD is at the upper limit of my budget,,, but is attainable. I like aspects of both guns. I have read about more than one person having issues with the recoil springin the Taurus,,,, have not really read of any vices when it comes to the XD. But the obvious price difference and second strike ability of the Taurus are marks against the XD. Then again,, I just might find an entirely different weapon that strikes my fancy,, but I am trying to decide sooner rather than later.

4. mini,

I carried a Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm for over a year, put at least 1k of everything I could get my hands on and it was a 100% performer. Never ever had a single FTF, FTE with that pistol. The restrike capability is what sold me on it when I bought it, and several time while shooting factory reman ammo I used the restrike when a first strike primer failed to ignite.

The PT111 M-Pro is ideal for CC due to the smallish grip. I used a Fobus Paddle holster with a t-shirt as a cover garment and never had a problem with excessive printing.

The ONLY reason I no longer have the M-Pro is due to nerve damage in my trigger finger, cant tell the difference in a light 4# trigger and a heavy 8# trigger. The M-Pro has a light trigger, really sweet, but after nerve damage hit my trigger finger it was not a gun I was comfortable shooting any more. I now carry a S&W 9VE Sigma with a 8# trigger and it works great for me, still miss the smaller size of the M-Pro though.

As far as the XD, thats another very fine weapon for CC use. Excellent quality and everyone I have shot has been accurate and 100% reliable.

No idea what extra mags cost for the XD, but the Taurus M-Pro mags are pricy, $35-$40 a pop depending on where you get them. Cheapest I have seen the M-Pro mags was $32 +tax locally.

5. minidriver

minidriver Member

UPDATE

I just got back from a brief range trip with my new conceal carry choice. I have to admit i am very happy with my new Taurus Millenium Pro 9mm. After talking to several shop owners and shopping around for price,, I feel confident I made a good choice. The first shot, the very first shot hit the target dead center. Every single round fired and ejected as it should. I need to run more rounds through it,, but it seems to be off to a good start.

6. Ari

Ari Guest

Mini it is good to see you. Congrats on the new weapon

7. NWdude83

NWdude83 Guest

What about a Taurus 24/7 or a Kahr CW9?

8. minidriver,

A very good ammo choice in my PT111 M-Pro was Hornady TAP 124gr JHP. The round has slightly less recoil than standard JHP's but is still very effective. My understanding is the TAP ammo is Hornady's version of the low recoil Short Barrel self defense ammo like Speer and Federal offer now.

If you shoot the TAP in a side by side comparison with other SD JHP's you will see a BIG difference in recoil and follow up shots in the PT111 M-Pro. I was very pleased with performance of the TAP ammo in my M-Pro, it ran flawlessly and was dead on accurate.

9. minidriver

minidriver Member

Thanks for the info RimFire, I'll give it a try.