Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I hope you'll forgive me if this is the wrong place for this, but I'm a terrible researcher, so I couldn't find anywhere better suited. I'd like to know some general measurements for the Hi-point .40. What's the overall length? How thick is it? how long is the grip from the bottom of the mag well to where the frame meets the slide? I was hoping to acquire one of these as my first firearm, and wanted to know some basic requirements for storage, since I'm going to need a case for it, safe, etc.

Also asking because I am wondering if it will fit my hands. I've heard that the guns are somewhat large, and I have smaller hands than others, so if this gun is too large, I might have to find an alternative. I've heard great things about the firearms, though, so I'm not sure if I should buy another, potentially higher-maintenance gun for a first.

Thanks,

Delta-V

·
No longer broke...
21,914 Posts
For a dude I’ve got baby hands and I shoot the JHP .45 which is the same size as the JCP .40
Don’t have the gun handy right now but if somebody doesn’t come along soon I’ll go dig it up and measure for you.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
First, welcome to the zoo. Watch out for flying monkeys and cic pups. Speaking of Cicpup - he's kinda the expert here (one of 'em, anyway). If he doesn't chime in or the Swagmeister forgets, I'll do the honors and dig my JHP out

·
Resident PITA
16,163 Posts
Also asking because I am wondering if it will fit my hands. I've heard that the guns are somewhat large, and I have smaller hands than others, so if this gun is too large, I might have to find an alternative. I've heard great things about the firearms, though, so I'm not sure if I should buy another, potentially higher-maintenance gun for a first.
Are you going to take the measurements and build a model to hold? Just pop in to a few local gun stores and look at their displays. When you see one just simply say "May I see that one please?" Then you'll actually know if it's a good fit for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you going to take the measurements and build a model to hold? Just pop in to a few local gun stores and look at their displays. When you see one just simply say "May I see that one please?" Then you'll actually know if it's a good fit for you.
Ech. I hate gun stores in my country (Canuckistan). Do you literally have to card me and check a license to take a gun out of a case and show it to me (you don't)? mostly I want to know because I'm interested in building a case to store it for travel. I'd like to get it as close to the gun in terms of size and shape as possible, but also I'd like to know about how much material I'll need. As it turns out, even a ~$250 pistol is expensive when you need to buy and/or make all the stuff you need to legally own it in Canada. Cases, locks, safes for the guns, safes for the ammo, etc. and the license for restricted firearms, as well as the requisite license for firearms period. All of that costs money. I am BROKE as SHIT. Anything I can make/don't have to buy is a massive savings. Just licensing is about $300, gun safes run ~$200 (x2), gun ~$250, case should be about $25 with as much monolithic construction as I can manage (~$60 bought), plus literally every other necessity, and I have a $1200 budget for ALL of it, including munitions.

I feel like this could have waited, looking at the numbers, but I'd probably put it off forever otherwise.

To answer the original question more accurately though, I'm definitely going to take some super vague measurements and reverse engineer the entire firearm from those. /s

·
No longer broke...
21,914 Posts
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Slide is 1.5 inches wide and the circumference of the grip is 6 inches.
Anything else you should be able to deduct from the pics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, you have to store the ammo separately?
Yep, my guess is somebody (or a lot of people) torched themselves fumbling with a firearm that was stored loaded for whatever reason (you can do that, just not with a round chambered), so that law was made. You don't really need a safe for it, but the ammunition is pretty dangerous in and of itself.

Canada's actually pretty good about lawmaking in that regard. Butterfly knives were legal until way too many people wound up in the hospital because they tried flipping one around without any idea of how to use it. Reselling decommed propane tanks was legal until way too many people blew themselves up cutting into tanks they didn't purge correctly. Same with this. My money is on self-immolation when it comes to storing live ammunition and loaded guns in the same safe, and that's why it's now illegal.

Also, Shouts to SWAGA, who is a beautiful human being and included the photographs above. Thank you!

·
Resident PITA
16,163 Posts
Ech. I hate gun stores in my country (Canuckistan).
My condolences. If you're close enough to the border, come on over. We'll let you fondle them all day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My condolences. If you're close enough to the border, come on over. We'll let you fondle them all day.
Hah, I know what you're up to! Draw me in in with your rooty-tooty-point-n-shooties, only to tell me I have to turn over my entire bank account for the things...

Where do I sign up?

In all seriousness though, I'm actually going to hop the wall at the nearest opportunity, move somewhere in the states, better than staying here and having my gov't officials sticking hands in my pocket for "infrastructure spending" when they can't even fix the potholes in the road worth a damn. Benefit of living in one of the most highly privatized countries in the world, I suppose, is that you can get from A to B without your tires blowing up on you.

·
No longer broke...
21,914 Posts
Also, Shouts to SWAGA, who is a beautiful human being and included the photographs above. Thank you!
Easy now....
Yer welcome.

·
Resident PITA
16,163 Posts
It's no hassle to walk in to a gun store and ask to see any gun. They let you hold them and everything
He's in Canadana.

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,048 Posts
A 5.56mm ammo can will fit most handguns. Pad the inside, bolt it to the bottom of the trunk or, behind your pickup seats, and lock it up using the supplied locking mechanism and padlock.
Mount another ammo can next to it and put your ammo in it, securing the same way.
Masters sells padlock kits with two, three, or four padlocks all keyed to the same lock.

Need something bigger? 7.62mm can.
Larger? 12.7mm can.

Helpful eldar

·
Administrator
29,140 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.