Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Yuo're in the wrong section you want lounge BUT it's OK 1 of the bosses will move it for ya. My advise go with a Remington 700 in what ever caliber you feel comfortable in. AND don't forget the Hi Points :D

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I have a SKS, AK, Rugger 10-22, Winchester 22 bolt action, Steyr m9, p90.. price is around 1200 to spend prefer a rifle and was thinking AR 15 or a nice bolt action..
Thanks
You're giving yourself lots of room to choose. A nice FAL can be found in that range if you shop. The AR world is wide open, you can choose the AR 15 with bells & whistles or decent AR 10 with judicious buying. There are a lot of bolt actions in that range -- even more if you'll look around and don't mine buying used.

Start with the basics -- what are going to use it for?

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I'd vote building a custom AR-15. You could do a lot of fancy things with $1200. Mine will cost me about $900 total and it has a fair bit of bells and whistles, the extra $300 could get you a 552 eotech or another nice sight system for it.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Yuo're in the wrong section you want lounge BUT it's OK 1 of the bosses will move it for ya. My advise go with a Remington 700 in what ever caliber you feel comfortable in. AND don't forget the Hi Points :D
Actually this is the right area, the lounge is not for firearms related questions.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I agree with the cash you have and going with an ar-15.I'm no expert just a noob learning what i know from all of these nice,smart guys.Unfourntly here the cheapest ar-15 and we have tons of them,start somewhat over $900 then go way up.iI cant get a used one for under $700.so i'm thinkin the sks or a .308 myself.

·
Registered
799 Posts
You NEED an AR if you have $1200.00 and dont have an AR you are making babies cry. I have had some much fun with mine I could not be happier its like a combination of Barbie, Lego's, and guns there is no end to the things you can do to make it more fun and versitile. If I had that kinda cash I would go with a BCM M4 clone it is top of the line but Ill throw you some info I found helpful when looking for an AR
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Here's an idea I've been bandying about if I ever come into more money than I need:

AR 15 in 7.62x39 caliber with a short stroke piston upper. I assume you already have a stockpile of cheap 7.62x39 for your SKS and AK, so maintaining a similar caliber for your new gun allows economies of scale in your future ammo purchases. And with a piston upper you avoid getting all that dirty laquer-coated Russian ammo residue blown back into your receiver.

I checked around and CMMG claims their piston upper kit will work for 7.62x39, but Adams won't. I figure $300 for a complete lower, $600 for a 7.62x39 upper w/ BDG from Model 1 Sales, and $299 for the CMMG conversion kit.

·
Registered
264 Posts
For $1200? I'd buy a Savage 10FP-LE for the best price you could find, a decent bipod, and then spend the rest on a good scope.
Exactly what I was think great call but a decent scope and a Hi Point carbine. Or a few case's of Ammo

·
Registered
264 Posts
Here's an idea I've been bandying about if I ever come into more money than I need:

AR 15 in 7.62x39 caliber with a short stroke piston upper. I assume you already have a stockpile of cheap 7.62x39 for your SKS and AK, so maintaining a similar caliber for your new gun allows economies of scale in your future ammo purchases. And with a piston upper you avoid getting all that dirty laquer-coated Russian ammo residue blown back into your receiver.

I checked around and CMMG claims their piston upper kit will work for 7.62x39, but Adams won't. I figure $300 for a complete lower, $600 for a 7.62x39 upper w/ BDG from Model 1 Sales, and $299 for the CMMG conversion kit.
I would hold off on the 7.62 x39 ammo because the russian's are changing their weaponry to a nato round. They will be phasing out 7.62 x39

·
Registered
799 Posts

I would hold off on the 7.62 x39 ammo because the russian's are changing their weaponry to a nato round. They will be phasing out 7.62 x39
Umm most of the governments using the AK 47 switched to the AK74 long ago thats why its so hard to find surplus 7.62 X39 at all now. But they are looking at switching from the 5.45X39 they use now thats why 5.45X39 is dirt cheap right now . If you want to go that direction S&W is making an AR upper in 5.45X39 Yet another reason to look at the AR you can mix and match any thing from a 500 Beowulf to a 204 Ruger, all using the same lower.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.