Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Powder looks to be coming back as long as it’s made by Hodgdon. I am finding Remington large pistol primers and Small Rifle match primers. The small rifle match primers are 7.5 cents each and the large pistol primers are about 2 cents cheaper. Also finding large rifle primers, but these are intended for the 7.62x51 NATO. They are over 10 cents each, so I have refrained from purchasing them. I have purchased 2000 of the Remington small rifle match primers and 1000 of the Remington large pistol primers.

Powder was a surprise for me, bought 8 pounds of Varget and 8 pounds of HP38. It was expensive, but I was almost out and it was available. I bought a couple of pounds of CFE223 today and recieved a credit of $5 per pound for the 16 pounds of powder I purchased last week. Seems they over charged me! The powder and 1K of the primers came to almost $135. Minus the $80 credit I got - I walked out paying about $55! Almost felt like it was pre-Covid!

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
I haven’t had a big problem finding powder. I’ve even found black powder.

I’d love to find some LPP and LRP.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Super Moderator
10,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven’t had a big problem finding powder. I’ve even found black powder.

I’d love to find some LPP and LRP.
I have been able to find powder here but it has been sporadic, and you had to get what you could find. Primers too, but the primer prices were through the roof. I was told by one of the stores that their price to purchase had increased five-fold!

For about the past month I have been able to get almost any powder I want, as long as it’s Hodgdon, and Remington primers, in the match small rifle and standard large pistol are readily available. As are the CCI #34 primers, but the CCI primers are $110. I am having a hard time paying $75 for the Remington 7 1/2. I am thinking the prices might settle down a little more, but they will never go down to the pre-Covid prices of $30 - $40 per 1000.

As far as Holy Black, I have not shot any in a long time, went to black powder substitutes many years ago, but Triple 7 has been available here all along.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Registered
39 Posts
With the exception of primers, I have been able to find what I need over the last 2 years, although I have had to substitute some things compared to what I was using in 2019 and before.

Of course prices are another thing, but I guess we should be thankful that powder and projectiles have not seen the 300-400% increase that primers have taken.

·
Premium Member
5,880 Posts
I still can't find 85 grn .264 flatbase bullets. Plenty of 87 boattails, but they're too long for my application. And I haven't even smelled a primer in 2 years - at any price

·
Just a Man
14,272 Posts
I still can't find 85 grn .264 flatbase bullets. Plenty of 87 boattails, but they're too long for my application. And I haven't even smelled a primer in 2 years - at any price
Brownells still had some primers last night on their website

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
36,825 Posts
Zero primers. $40 oddball powder at one store, zero anywhere else. You East US people piss me off sometimes…it’s like you buy it all, and none gets shipped out here. I saw an add for $350/1000 223 ammo…sold out in under an hour.

When I’m king, we’re going to allocate powder by state, and whatever state I’m in is going to choose first.

·
What the Hell was that?
779 Posts
Zero primers. $40 oddball powder at one store, zero anywhere else. You East US people piss me off sometimes…it’s like you buy it all, and none gets shipped out here. I saw an add for $350/1000 223 ammo…sold out in under an hour.

When I’m king, we’re going to allocate powder by state, and whatever state I’m in is going to choose first.
Yeah, I’m down to 1 lb of w231 and a few sleeves of primers. Bullets i got, but everything else, shelves are pretty much dry as a bone. Everywhere in line and even semi local is out of stock.

·
What the Hell was that?
779 Posts
Yeah, I’m down to 1 lb of w231 and a few sleeves of primers. Bullets i got, but everything else, shelves are pretty much dry as a bone. Everywhere in line and even semi local is out of stock.
UPDATE: Managed to pick up 500 SPPs when i went up to Sarasota today. $10 per 100, but since I haven’t seen any in about a year, if figured i better get them. Sadly, the manager said the next shipment (sometime this month) was from Bosnia/Herzegovina (Unis Ginex?) and that they were going to be $15 per 100. Just get crazier and crazier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts