Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
I mainly collect curios and antiques, as well as ww2 era firearms and all eras of SNS.
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like fixing junk guns.

Recently I had the "fun" of restoring and tuning a Lorcin L9. After a lot of tinkering I eventually created a reliable (range only) toy. I say "range only" as the trigger is now ultra light and zero safeties.

So I figured I'd explore this masochistic hobby of mine by buying and modifying a nasty and incomplete L380.

A Cobra FS380 slide is heavier and more durable, supposedly it will be a direct fit for my L380.

Anyone know if this is true?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,083 Posts
It’s not a massive as it appears, I was surprised when I got my mitts on one. I do think it’s a little more robust but I’ve seen ‘em crack.
BTW -and forgive me if you already know this- but the firing pin spring aids a little bit in absorbing recoil energy. If you replace the recoil spring, replace the firing pin spring too.

·
Registered
I mainly collect curios and antiques, as well as ww2 era firearms and all eras of SNS.
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You've seen them crack too? Dang. Hopefully they're still better than the Lorcin slide.

Okay, I'll just use the whole Cobra slide, thus using that firing pin spring.

·
Super Moderator
9,083 Posts
They are definitely a step up from a Lorcin slide. I've never had the slide of a Ring of Fire pistol crack on me, and I've shot a lot of 'em. However I was always judicious -maybe fanatical- about making sure the springs were up to snuff.

(That's not to say I've never had an inexpensive pistol break while firing; I had a Titan E28 slide bust and come back into my face.)

• Wow
Reactions: Rerun

·
Registered
42 Posts
Comparing the OP image to my FS380, only the front end looks different, FS380 has extra material. I've seen some images of lorcin where that area broke off, Maybe they were trying to reinforce it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered a Lorcin L380 parts kit from gunbroker to replace most of the various missing parts. As well as a Cobra firing pin spring from gunpartscorp.

I'm still looking for a reasonably priced satin finish FS380 slide. My L9 has a satin slide and black frame, so I want my L380/hybrid to match it.

As far as the difference in the slides go, the L380 seems to have a rounded top while the FS380 has a squared off top. I think they added extra metal to help reduce the failure rate. Even so... I'll only be shooting low power .380, target rounds, from this.

·
Super Moderator
9,083 Posts
A Cobra FS380 slide is heavier and more durable, supposedly it will be a direct fit for my L380.
Anyone know if this is true?
Here's a side by side comparison of the Lorcin L380 vs. Cobra FS380 slides. (FS380 on left in all images)
Automotive tire Tire Camera accessory Camera lens Audio equipment

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So the L380 parts kit came in. Tried to fit the missing grip and.... the frame is stripped out!

I'm unsure how to fix this. Theres a custom screw shop thats semi near me, maybe they'll have something that will work.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,083 Posts
So the L380 parts kit came in. Tried to fit the missing grip and.... the frame is stripped out!
It happens. Take the screw to your local hardware store and get a tap one thread diameter larger. You'll have to bore out the screw recess on the grip as well to accommodate the inevitably large screw head. Do it carefully unless you want to buy a new set of grips.

Your other choice is just use some duct tape, that's a very popular solution.
Trigger Bicycle part Gun barrel Revolver Air gun

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like some good ideas, I'll check out what screws I have on hand. Maybe I'll get lucky and one will work.

Worst case scenario is I'll get a tap and screws.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts