Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the chance to take my .40 to an indoor range and shoot paper which helped me realize....It's shooting low and to the right. So for a green guy like me, how do I literally sight it(i.e. top screw to the left or right, side screw to the left/right)? I remember stumbling across a good sighting guide but damned if I cant find it now.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Since I'm not sure where you are starting, I'll repost something I sent a bit ago with some mods:

First Step - pick the site picture you want to shoot. This means, where do you want the target to sit on your sites? One option is to have it site above the sites when lined up. Another is to have your sites cross the middle of the target. Up to you, just pick one and then be sure you aim that way!

Next, Find a bench to shoot off of - if you're moving indoors, this may be more convenient. Put target at about 10 feet - yes 10 feet. Shoot 5 shots aiming for center of target, resting the gun on a bench rest. Pull trigger slow and steady, being careful not to move the gun. If you need to adjust, move the sites to get to center.

TYPICALLY, you move the REAR site in the direction you want the shot to go. If you want the shot to move DOWN on the paper, you move the REAR site DOWN. If you want the shot to go LEFT on the paper, you move the REAR site LEFT.

Recheck until right. Move target to 20 feet and repeat. Then if you wish, 30 feet to fine tune. ALL this should be on the bench. IF you are going to use the gun for 50 foot target shooting, then go to 50 feet.

But if using for SD and ASSUMING you can do 30 feet give or take, shot after shot in the ten ring, from the bench...... when you lift the gun to shoot standing, if you MISS the 10 ring, it's NOT the gun!!!

Once sighted in - and holding the gun off the bench, you can work on grip, trigger control, breath control, etc. Walk before you run and you'll do fine. Lot's of information around on grip, stance, etc. you can search then.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I'm not sure where you are starting, I'll repost something I sent a bit ago with some mods:

First Step - pick the site picture you want to shoot. This means, where do you want the target to sit on your sites? One option is to have it site above the sites when lined up. Another is to have your sites cross the middle of the target. Up to you, just pick one and then be sure you aim that way!

Next, Find a bench to shoot off of - if you're moving indoors, this may be more convenient. Put target at about 10 feet - yes 10 feet. Shoot 5 shots aiming for center of target, resting the gun on a bench rest. Pull trigger slow and steady, being careful not to move the gun. If you need to adjust, move the sites to get to center.

TYPICALLY, you move the REAR site in the direction you want the shot to go. If you want the shot to move DOWN on the paper, you move the REAR site DOWN. If you want the shot to go LEFT on the paper, you move the REAR site LEFT.

Recheck until right. Move target to 20 feet and repeat. Then if you wish, 30 feet to fine tune. ALL this should be on the bench. IF you are going to use the gun for 50 foot target shooting, then go to 50 feet.

But if using for SD and ASSUMING you can do 30 feet give or take, shot after shot in the ten ring, from the bench...... when you lift the gun to shoot standing, if you MISS the 10 ring, it's NOT the gun!!!

Once sighted in - and holding the gun off the bench, you can work on grip, trigger control, breath control, etc. Walk before you run and you'll do fine. Lot's of information around on grip, stance, etc. you can search then.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
that was exactly what I was looking for thanks!

all I was asking was basically what was answered in the third paragraph, thanks!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Newskate9 - I'm not one to question your experience but your advice seems like the exact opposite of what my mind tells me.

To wit: "TYPICALLY, you move the REAR site in the direction you want the shot to go. If you want the shot to move DOWN on the paper, you move the REAR site DOWN. If you want the shot to go LEFT on the paper, you move the REAR site LEFT."

For instance, if my pistol is shooting perfect, sighted in well, it would seem that if I moved my rear site down, it would cause my shots to land higher? I always thought that you adjusted to the opposite of your goal. If you take a ruler and adjust your sites with a ruler in the living room this proves itself out.

Excuse me, I'm a newbie, so no offense is intended but I'm having a hard time getting my arms around this. I just took a pencil and aimed it at my sleeping dog and when I lowered the eraser end I'd have shot out my TV instead of the dog, lol.

Thanks-Craig

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Newskate9 - I'm not one to question your experience but your advice seems like the exact opposite of what my mind tells me.

To wit: "TYPICALLY, you move the REAR site in the direction you want the shot to go. If you want the shot to move DOWN on the paper, you move the REAR site DOWN. If you want the shot to go LEFT on the paper, you move the REAR site LEFT."

For instance, if my pistol is shooting perfect, sighted in well, it would seem that if I moved my rear site down, it would cause my shots to land higher? I always thought that you adjusted to the opposite of your goal. If you take a ruler and adjust your sites with a ruler in the living room this proves itself out.

Excuse me, I'm a newbie, so no offense is intended but I'm having a hard time getting my arms around this. I just took a pencil and aimed it at my sleeping dog and when I lowered the eraser end I'd have shot out my TV instead of the dog, lol.

Thanks-Craig
Nope! Newskate9 is correct. When you aim at your dog with that pencil and lower the eraser end, you will also have to lower the point to still be pointing at the dog. You have to bring the front site of the gun down to keep the target "in sight". Try it with your gun watching the front site as you drop the rear.
I had mine so screwed up it wasn't funny until a friend showed me what I was doing.

Jim :D

·
Premium Member
152 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
**** Newskate is never wrong ****

:D :D At least on Tuesdays. Now, the rest of the week............... :cantlook:

·
Registered
256 Posts
"Nope! Newskate9 is correct. When you aim at your dog with that pencil and lower the eraser end, you will also have to lower the point to still be pointing at the dog. You have to bring the front site of the gun down to keep the target "in sight". Try it with your gun watching the front site as you drop the rear.
I had mine so screwed up it wasn't funny until a friend showed me what I was doing.

Jim "

LOL! I think I'll try it with the dog and pencil first. Pointing a gun at my precious dogs seems like an accident waiting to happen. But, your explanation makes GREAT sense now that I look at it that way. For some reason it seemed counter-intuitive to me. The amazing part? I've been compensating with my guns using my methodology and mentally making more adjustments. With this newfound information I should be a crack shot in no time, lol.

Thanks!!!!!!
Craig

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sadly I dont really have the facilities/bench and all that to properly sight the gun, with my situation and the places we go to shoot the best choice might just be picking up a bore sighter.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
get creative. assuming you shoot in a corn field, take a stick that's 4' high to steady the gun. Use a stump if you shoot in the woods. take a folding table along. pay a buddy......... nope. forget that last one.

Key is, gun doesn't move while you site and slowly pull the trigger. Bore sight will work to a degree, assuming you're shoot PD distances. But who likes to spend money on toys when you can spend on ammo!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
get creative. assuming you shoot in a corn field, take a stick that's 4' high to steady the gun. Use a stump if you shoot in the woods. take a folding table along. pay a buddy......... nope. forget that last one.

Key is, gun doesn't move while you site and slowly pull the trigger. Bore sight will work to a degree, assuming you're shoot PD distances. But who likes to spend money on toys when you can spend on ammo!
we shoot in a sandpit that has a very steep long hill leading in. As a result we cant bring benches and such

·
Registered
799 Posts

we shoot in a sandpit that has a very steep long hill leading in. As a result we cant bring benches and such
Getcha a shooting stick. Its not the best rest out there but its easey to travel with and fire from. I used to carry one when ever I was handgun hunting they are great and not to bad on the pocketbook

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
aim high to the left. 8)

jk. The bore sight is a great investment. You can site all you weapons right at home. Walmart has them in MD for around $40. Good Luck

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hah!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Wow! The only way you could forget that is...Hmmm...really, I don't know HOW you could forget that bore sighter in the barrel. I'm dumb struck about this one. :cantlook:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a feeling image 2 and 3 are fake.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just another thought. Low and to the right is also typical of poor trigger control. Make sure that you are pulling the trigger strait back (you can check this by pointing an empty gun at a target and pulling the trigger while observing any change in the sight picture), and make sure you aren't flinching (you can check this by inserting a snap cap at random in your magazines and see if you jerk the gun when you get to the dummy round). I only mention this since a lot of people have a consistent bad trigger habit (i.e. always off to a certain direction), and if they adjust the sights to compensate at one distance, they will be off target at any other distance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.