Low profile iron sights for HP 995?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Neildo Baggins, May 13, 2018.

1. Neildo Baggins

Neildo Baggins Member

I got a new stock HP 995 for my son last Christmas. Now that its his birthday, I got him a red dot sight, which the gun shop will install next week free of charge. Obviously the stock iron sights will have to go, which I didn't think would be a big deal, since I chose the red dot sight with the highest mount and space below to peep through. Now I'm having trouble finding iron sights built for this purpose.

Anyone know something about this? Its against my religion to remove (or cause to be removed) the iron sights from firearms, so its important that I get this snafu resolved. Any suggestions welcome.

2. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Last edited: May 13, 2018

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Or get a lower mount and do a lower 1/3 co witness with the factory irons.

4. AresGraphix

AresGraphix Supporting Member

I second the 45 degree offset sights. I have a set on my 4095 and they work great.

5. 10mm4ever

10mm4ever Member

I have never liked optics mounted high enough to see iron sights underneath you can’t get a good cheekweld, I only had them on one gun, a Browning BAR safari grade 30-06, I could never shoot it to my liking, I pedaled it. I wish I had it back to put a proper set of mounts and some premium glass on. I replaced it with a Wetherby 30-06 with low mounts and Redfeild glass, and immediately got cloverleafs at 100yds. Replaced the Redfeild with Luepold glass and got 2.5 @ 300yds. That took my Elk @ 250yds. 1 shot and 3 steps. I got a little of topic

Mediocre_Bob likes this.
  6. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Please...

If you think that's off topic, you've got a lot to learn about how we work around here.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    On a hi point carbine, extra sights might be a bit much...

There used to be a mount made, a plate of metal that mounted to the right side using the stock bolts, with a flat piece on top where it was bent 90 degrees, with a short rail bonded to that. Fit right over the OEM rear sight.

Kinda nifty in a way, but also kind of silly. Like 10mm4ever said, it isn’t conducive to good ergonomics or sound shooting techniques. But, it worked.

8. Tom78

Tom78 Member

I felt the same way when I took the iron sights off of my 995ts, so I put the red dot sight far enough forward to mount a set of magpul flip up sights and the Caldwell Picatinny rail-mounted brass catcher, because I'm lazy and don't like to sweep up my brass at the range. As stated, it co-witnesses nicely.

9. wanderson

wanderson Member

The only two options I can think of for low profile sights would either be some AR micro flip up sights, which are about an inch high, or the factory sights from a Scorpion Evo.
    Evo sights are fixed but very low, like just over a half an inch. Lots of guys swap 'em out so it's not too hard to find some used.

10. eldarbeast

eldarbeast Supporting Member

Reminds me of a story I heard back in the last Century...

Traveling salesman stopped by Farmer MacDonald's place to try a sell him some knickknacks he'd picked up cheap.

MacDonald was sitting milking his cow by hand, the salesman giving his pitch when the salesman stopped and pulled out his watch and consulted its face. Puzzled, he shook his watch a couple of times, held it next to his ear then remarked, "Danged thing stopped running!"

MacDonald stops milking, lifts the cow's udder about six inches and informs the salesman that it is "Ten minutes before four in the afternoon."

Impressed with the farmer the salesman asked, "You can tell what time it is just by lifting your cow's milk sack?"

"Ayup!" replies the farmer. "I can see the town's clocktower thataways!"

eldar

Mediocre_Bob likes this.
  11. Mediocre_Bob

Mediocre_Bob Supporting Member

I tried the risers on my 995 and my 308. Way too high and made cheek weld impossible. Mounted my red dot and scope direct and bought a pair of 45 degree offset sights for backup. Takes some getting used to canting the rifle but as stated, it's just for backup if the optics fail.