Lower-profile mag release button for C-9/CF-380

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by TopGas, Feb 14, 2015.

1. TopGas

TopGas Member

There's another thread here on the forum dealing with extended mag release buttons and I can understand that some individuals may want that feature on their Hi Point pistol.

However, I was experiencing an issue in which, on both my C-9 & CF-380, the mag button's degree of protrusion in the factory configuration, was making it a bit too easy to disengage the magazine. I added a bit more bend to the mag catch spring and that did improve the situation a bit. I still felt that I needed to lower the profile some. Here's a pic of the stock button:
    [​IMG]

A guy in a YouTube video (discussing something else) mentioned that the mag release buttons from the JCP-40 were smaller and provided a lower profile.

I spoke with a tech at Hi Point who said that the JCP-40 buttons were smaller, would fit on my pistols and would lower the profile. He sent me 2 of them (no charge, of course!).

There is definitely a difference in size but it didn't seem like much-

[​IMG]

and I didn't think that it would really make much of a noticeable difference. I was wrong!

[​IMG]

The depth of the mounting hole in the JCP-40 button must deeper (I didn't bother to check before I swapped them out) that that of the stock button, allowing it to sit deeper in to the grip panel.

Granted, this mod does make it a bit more difficult to swap out mags in a real life tactical situation. It will likely minimize the inadvertent release of the magazine that I had been experiencing both while shooting and when holstered.

If I find that it's too difficult to release the mags, it will be very easy to return the guns to the stock configuration. Just a thought for those that were having issues like I was.
    TG

2. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Thanks for the great pics. I don't have either of those two guns (c9 Or 380 but I love the idea

3. Dave4903

Dave4903 My other car is a M60A3 Supporting Member

Thanks for the info on the modification. It would make the guns better for concealed carry as the mag button would be less likely to get pressed by a holster.

4. Spotcat

Spotcat Member

I have a C9 that seems to have misplaced the plastic button on the mag release. Works just fine without it, no problems with releasing before I'm ready.