M*CARBO Recall Notice - Extra Power Recoil Spring and Stainless Steel Guide Rod

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Literally a Moose, Dec 9, 2020.

1. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Lawyers make money off defending companies whether they win or lose. How do you honestly think you or they are going to fare in Court when the jury hears that they and you both knew of the issue yet chose to ignore it, and caused a death or injury. Or when they hear that you knew it could cause an illegal FA run in violation of the NFA? Your firearms insurance is not going to cover you since it would be done intentionally and knowingly.

Rerun, moona11 and ajole like this.
  2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I hear about runaways from time to time but I've never heard of the ATF going after joe sixpack for having a runaway unless there's compelling evidence that it was deliberate or deliberately left un-repaired.

Have you?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Think1st likes this.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Have you any idea of how the Joe Biden ATF will be operating?

Lets stay ahead of the game, even if the game is rigged and the other side cheats.

4. magnut

magnut Member

I was thinking more in terms of a range incident. Runaways happen sometimes when testing. You dont want it to but it does. I learned a long time ago to start with One round when testing.... then two.... and go from there.

Personally I dont mess with anything like sear springs or hair triggers. I tend to increase the pull when possible with stronger hammer springs. When I test its usually parts builds or repair on broken firearms. I probably would have had a lot of runaways if I wasnt careful. It doesnt even have to be a spring... a short disconecter can even screw around with things.

I dont know what the ATF would do. A lot of the green agents dont understand firearms and do stupid things. From the conversations I have had with the veteran agents they are more concerned with people fileing away on fire control group parts trying to create full auto machine guns. next time I talk to them I will ask about something like this. I could call my contact right now but I dont like to bother him with just one question. I usually wait until I have a bunch of legal questions. What they are worried about is intentional conversions.

I actually find conversions interesting from a technical/mechanical standpoint but of course I dont mess with it for a multitude of reasons.... biggest being it is illegal and there is way more to lose than to gain. Most firearms conversions cannot withstand the abuse of full auto anyways. Even machine guns have trouble with it. They break down all the time. Hi-points cannot be turned full auto. A class 3 dealer of mine played around with this idea (he is licensed for it). Zamak is just not up to the task.

I know this kind of drifted into full auto class 3 stuff. Sorry about that. Any of you guys who are curious to have some fun should check out all the full auto airguns on the market now. They are safe and a lot of fun. Full auto real firearms are tricky. It takes a lot of practice to be efficient with them...a different type of approach to shooting. Full auto glock 9mms are downright impossible for me to be consistent with. I have only done it a few times and that was enough. My dealer is good with it though. Expensive practice but worth it for him.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

So that's a no?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Think1st and satch001 like this.
  6. magnut

magnut Member

No... its a malfunctioning firearm with no intent. Just because your firearm malfunctions does not mean you intentional converted it to full auto operation. Yes there are dumb cops and ATF agents out there. They are a minority though. You can read all kinds of nonsense on the net but often people are just adding things into the conversation that are not there. Best thing to do if possible is talk to a straight up agent that deals with this stuff...like a field agent who investigates. If they dont know they will find out or put you in contact with someone who does know. Most of these seasoned agents I have met are hard core gun enthusiasts. They are not out to get legal gun owners as much as many think.

Now...I have no love for them as I dont think the the ATF should even exhist...and they know I feel that way.... but they are not my sworn enemy I fear around every corner. My beef about the ATF is that those duties should be in the hands of local LE and the FBI. Whatever though. As far as the individual agents I know.... they could have burned me if they wanted to plant evidence or escalate things just because. They didnt though and have helped me a few times so those agents have my respect.... so far anyways HaHa!

7. magnut

magnut Member

I would worry about the DHS, IRS, DOJ and the FTC more than the ATF is we have another Globalist hatchetman empty suit taking directives from the real power players in the world. Look... it gets that bad there will be much bigger issues at hand. This wont be like The Obama years. The public is a lot more "woke" to what has been going on for the last 80 years or so. The big plan is not even really hidden anymore.

But hey...if you just have to have something to worry about... sure.... red flag laws can be used against us. Probably have a few Wacos and Ruby ridge events set up to push as many Americans as possible to give up on the RKBA and invoke "reasonable" gun control. They already have a registry gun owners just choose to deny reality.

retread likes this.
  8. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Yes I have, so have you. 20yo AR15 goes full auto.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If the ATF says there was intent in this political climate, and the maker TELLS you the thing is defective and might go FA, and you bought it and it went FA....you’re going to have a REALLY hard time proving you had no intent, because a reasonable man would NOT buy it thinking he’d be the lucky one that made it work, considering the possible consequences.

And yes, I know...presumption of innocence, they have to prove things, not you, etc.

And none of that matters anymore. The courts don’t GAF about the constitution.

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

You mean the case of a guy who had an AR with a 3-position safety selector which, when switched to the 3rd position, actually fired a 3-round burst, repeatably and reliably, but then Olofson claimed it was a runaway malfunction? The only malfunction seems to be that it would jam.

Try again.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Think1st and satch001 like this.
  11. MrH7623

MrH7623 Member

Agreed. Have their trigger springs and extra parts on most of my firearms. This one went sideways, unfortunately. Just had my 995TS out today for the first time with the stainless rod, left the recoil spring out after having the same failure on another 995 before this recall came about. Wish I had found this info prior to going out today... Now I wait to hear back on the other one that's in for warranty...