Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

King of you Monkeys
Up down
Yeah those are very nice, but biggest issue for me are the mags like you said. Not like its much better for the defiant lol.
View attachment 75913

It is sexy though!!

The Hunter is 45 acp only?

This thread was about a 10mm and the only one I would get IF I found a deal would be the Defiant. They go for $1300-1500 and that is steep. Not as steep as an Arsenal AF-1 (9mm I know...) but still.
The hunter comes in 10mm.
Mags are currently a pain to find. But when Mole got his after I got my Witness. Mags were easy to find and cheap.

ROLL wif Da MOLE!
I found 2 or 3 places that were out of stock, hopefully back in by now. It's such a stylish gun I don't think I need my usual 6 to 10 mags, but I'd like 3 total so I can carry it at least!
Shoulder Rig is my guess as to what would be good 馃憤馃徏

King of you Monkeys
Up down
I found 2 or 3 places that were out of stock, hopefully back in by now. It's such a stylish gun I don't think I need my usual 6 to 10 mags, but I'd like 3 total so I can carry it at least!
You didn't buy them when you got the gun? You missed out big time.

King of you Monkeys
Up down
You didn't buy them when you got the gun? You missed out big time.

Premium Member
If I saw one, I鈥檇 probably sell my Glock and buy it. Could even be persuaded to trade the Glock in, for the right deal. Which normally the trade in isn鈥檛鈥.but maybe?

It鈥檚 got almost everything going for it. Good trigger, 15+1, with or without thumb safety. But the long barrel is 4.6鈥 vs 4鈥 for the other one.

But seriously. Optic cut slide and $650 MSRP? Buy it.

Reactions: undeRGRound

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If I saw one, I鈥檇 probably sell my Glock and buy it. Could even be persuaded to trade the Glock in, for the right deal. Which normally the trade in isn鈥檛鈥.but maybe?

It鈥檚 got almost everything going for it. Good trigger, 15+1, with or without thumb safety. But the long barrel is 4.6鈥 vs 4鈥 for the other one.

But seriously. Optic cut slide and $650 MSRP? Buy it.
It is a nice pistol. And I like the cartridge. Just really do not see a use for it. I look at the 10mm as a hunting cartridge, a role that is fulfilled for me by my SBH 44 magnum.

鈥.but keep on, your post has got me thinking.

Premium Member
I really don鈥檛 think of the 10 mm as a hunting cartridge. It 鈥渃an鈥 be鈥ut I think of it more like a high capacity version of a .357 mag equivalent SD weapon.
In that role, it鈥檚 a winner every time.

I鈥檓 sure a guy that trains a bit with both guns can get faster splits with a 9 mm, and the extra 3-4 bullets might make a difference on paper. But on meat targets, I think that extra velocity in a heavier projectile are a win.

Then鈥.this particular gun can be had ready for a red dot, and with an excellent trigger? At that price? There are dumber things to throw my money at.

Premium Member
Everything
I have seen a total of 2 boxes of long colt (and only a few 410) on the shelf in any and every place I have looked for 6 months or so now- ever since I bought a rossi circuit judge. And I bought those 2. I really didn't think that purchase through, lol. But I love it, just don't want to shoot any of mt ammo for that up until I can find more, hehe.

I know the m&p's are good guns in general, even if just based on how many people have them, but idk, I feel like if I ever get the urge to get into adding 10mm to the armory, it'll be in something entirely new to me. Not gonna lie, that witness hunter is sexy. Or maybe in a full size 1911, as the only other caliber somewhat acceptable in a 1911 besides 45 acp is 10mm, lol.
I just have a personal inner aversion to the m&ps because I took a marksmanship class where almost all the men attending had m&ps in 9mm and the one woman, me, brought a colt mustang 380, and I was told by the instructor that I wouldn't be able to achieve as good of groups as the guys because of my pistol choice. So of course I had to prove him wrong, hehehe.
But if it's a good pistol at a good price and you like it, then get it! Might as well get the things you want and enjoy them while you're here, because you can't take them with you when you go!

Edited to add that the first paragraph was quoting rach's post, idk where it went.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Or maybe in a full size 1911, as the only other caliber somewhat acceptable in a 1911 besides 45 acp is 10mm, lol.
I would love a 1911 in 10mm. Just think that full power 10mm is a bit too hot for the platform. The 10mm has a reputation for cracking 1911 slides and chewing up 1911 guide rods. As noted I am a disciple of Col. Jeff Cooper. He was a devotee of the 1911 and had some hand in the development of the 10mm, but I don鈥檛 really think he intended for the cartridge in the 1911 platform. Those I know who shoot 10mm 1911鈥檚 rely mostly on moderate reloads in the cartridge. Only sparingly shoot full power loads.

On the other hand - most of my info is old stuff. Things change, and I understand things have gotten somewhat better. The Ruger SR1911 Target is supposed to be a good one.

As far as cartridges for the 1911 platform. 38 Super and 45 acp. BTW, the 45 is an 11 mm. ;) But the 10 mm has somehow edged its way in there and seems to be at least somewhat accepted.

Premium Member
Saw a new gun in the display case at the LGS this evening. Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0. It was chambered in 10mm. Interesting, but felt pretty light in the hand for a 10mm pistol. I do imagine you know it when you touch off a 10mm cartridge in the pistol.

Do I need to add it to my collection? I don鈥檛 really think so. Anybody want to try and talk me into it?
View attachment 75893
I love my M&P40 (first gen). It pushes back into the hand instead of snapping up.

I can鈥檛 imagine the 10mm being much different. I used to love shooting a Glock 20 but when I compared glocks with M&P, M&P was the clear winner for me.

ROLL wif Da MOLE!
I would love a 1911 in 10mm. Just think that full power 10mm is a bit too hot for the platform. The 10mm has a reputation for cracking 1911 slides and chewing up 1911 guide rods. As noted I am a disciple of Col. Jeff Cooper. He was a devotee of the 1911 and had some hand in the development of the 10mm, but I don鈥檛 really think he intended for the cartridge in the 1911 platform. Those I know who shoot 10mm 1911鈥檚 rely mostly on moderate reloads in the cartridge. Only sparingly shoot full power loads.

On the other hand - most of my info is old stuff. Things change, and I understand things have gotten somewhat better. The Ruger SR1911 Target is supposed to be a good one.

As far as cartridges for the 1911 platform. 38 Super and 45 acp. BTW, the 45 is an 11 mm. ;) But the 10 mm has somehow edged its way in there and seems to be at least somewhat accepted.
COLT did a 10mm 1911, so it's perfectly acceptable ;)
In fact, I was trying to order a Delta Elite when I got the Tanfoglio W.H. 10mm, it was either that
or an RIA 2011 tactical in 10mm.

As far as the S&W M&P series goes, my 1st gen M&P9 was basically the best poly pistol I ever shot,
almost as good as the Browning Hi-Power as far as recoil mitigation and follow up shots, and that is
SAYING SOMETHING. It seemed like the M&P rocked back to dead level at exactly the same time
that the slide was ready for the next shot. Recoil felt as natural as one could hope. Maybe, just
maybe they got this 10mm dead on like that?

Smiff makes a great revolver too, and I have been hoping for them to enter the 10mm fray for a long time.
Too bad I'm full up on most handguns, I'd love to try this!

Reactions: Rerun

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
In fact, I was trying to order a Delta Elite
Delta Elite had a bunch of cracked slides when they first came out. I understand they have modified the slide with a relief cut to fix the problem.

ROLL wif Da MOLE!
Delta Elite had a bunch of cracked slides when they first came out. I understand they have modified the slide with a relief cut to fix the problem.
(y)
I was also looking at threaded & fully supported barrels, too. Underwood offered a reduced power (from their levels) Delta Elite round that was similar to the Sig Elite 10mm loading, for the standard Delta Elite chambers. KKM was the most common replacement barrel I was seeing for this.

Reactions: Rerun

Registered

Stop sweating the "small stuff". Irving Stone and G&A editor Whit Collins worked with Jeff Cooper to help develop the round. Norma Ammunition worked with them to cut down the .30 Remington rifle cartridge case to .992" and load a .400" bullet in it.

The original loads blew the 180-grain JHP out of a 5" barrel at 1300 fps and the 200-grain flat-nosed full metal cased bullet at 1200 fps. The only problem in the 1911 pistol was the "bridge" of metal over the slide stop hole of the frame kept flexing and breaking. They removed the offending "bridge" and the problem was resolved. No more cracking... anywhere. A stronger hammer spring slowed the slide and stopped any peening/battering of the frame. (My first-run DW Razorback runs just fine).

I have four other handguns chambered for the cartridge. My 6 1/2" barreled S&W Model 610 revolver is a great hunting machine and will keep right up with my 6" barreled S&W Model 657 in .41 Remington Magnum.

So quit sweating the ancient history and buy yourself the 10mm you want. The longer the barrel, the better the performance in the field. Any 10mm Auto Pistol with 5"+ of barrel will have the power in the field that you'll need. (Use full powered ammunition for hunting and lighter loads for "social work").

You'll be glad you did.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts